By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario Odyssey totally burried 3D World

I think Odyssey has become my favorite Mario of all time (64 is right there with it). I don't understand how Nintendo is able to keep franchises like this so fresh and fun decade after decade. It really is incredible.

Around the Network

I wouldn't call Super Mario Galaxy 2 a real 3D Mario game since it follows a linear level design. I say the last sandbox open world 3D Mario game Sunshine.

Anyway I agree. 3D world looked lame and played lame It was a sequel to a not very good 3D Mario game which hurt it even more. I felt the game was lacking any sort of passion that the the Galaxy games had. Odyssey is the complete opposite. Not only does it have some real passion behind it but it also is a sandbox Mario game which is something that needed to return.

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

Lucas-Rio said:

Finally, seven years after Mario Galaxy 2 was released, we finally got a real Mario 3D platformer.

Odyssey is everything 3D World wasn't.

- Big world with a lot of freedom vs tiny , small worlds  ultra basics limited by a stupid timer

- Ambitious and gorgeous production value , graphics and designs

vs

LOL

- Extremely useful powers vs stupid gimmicks like cat Mario

- Magical gameplay enhanced by Cappy, with all kind of jump, triple jump, backflip, long jump, cappy jump, cartwheel jump vs a dumbed down version of Mario with movement restricted to 8 directions and all the jumps missing.

- A big game filled with content, ton of secrets, asking for the use of all abilities, mini games and exploration vs a dumbed down platformer where the only goal is to reach the flag.

- A magical experience crafted by Nintendo wizard for the sole purpose off excelling and reaching the height of the platformer genre vs a quickly developped game who has been developped for multi player purpose following the succes of 3D Land.

I  hope Nintendo learned the lesson and never commit another 3D World. The Wii U probably suffered from the lack of a proper 3D Mario.

Truth.

I actually think Super Mario 3D world is part of why the Wii U didnt do better, it just lacked the appeal of other 3D mario games.

Bandorr said:
They have very, very little in common and should never be compared.

One is a 4 player Co-op Mario game with each character having different powers.
One is a single player came where you don't even have lives.

The fact they are both in 3D does not make them the same type of game at all.

They are both Mario Platformers.... I think its fair to compair them.

Bandorr said:
They have very, very little in common and should never be compared.

One is a 4 player Co-op Mario game with each character having different powers.
One is a single player came where you don't even have lives.

The fact they are both in 3D does not make them the same type of game at all.

I could live with that.

The problem is that they are replacing each other.

The Wii U did not have a real 3D Mario because 3D World was placed there instead.

3D Mario does not mean "sandbox game", Galaxy were spectacular 3D platformer with exceptionnel level design, pacing and production value. 3D World is limited, unambitious and is closed to a 2D game in 3D. He was also built for thhe multiiplayer.

It seems that for Nintendo it's either the 3D Land/World model or either the real 3D platformer. I hope Nintendo don't starve us of a new 3d Mario during another 7 years.

Around the Network

Loved 3D World, I don't understand the hate it gets

JRPGfan said:

Truth.

I actually think Super Mario 3D world is part of why the Wii U didnt do better, it just lacked the appeal of other 3D mario games.

It's even more striking that the Switch is riding on a great hype boosted by two of the greatest Nintendo made game , BOTW and Odyssey. Of course Switch has also superior hardware and marketing than Wii U , but it could be a factor.

I feel like you are being a bit harsh on 3D World, but at the same time I agree with you. 3D World tried too hard to be a 2D Mario experience in 3D. Its also how I feel about Galaxy 2 tbh, but to a lesser degree. There were just so many 2D sections in that game that it became a bit much.

I was sure that the next Mario game would be even more focused on co-op, so I'm really relived at how Odyssey brought back the single player experience.

PortisheadBiscuit said:
Loved 3D World, I don't understand the hate it gets

Mainly because it caused Mario 3D to disappear during 7 years.

It wouldn't have been a problem if it was just a side game. But it was presented as a main game.

I totally agree.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.