By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 VS Switch lifetime sales, which console will sell the most?

What do you expect?

NSW will win by a huge margin 53 16.06%

NSW will win by a small margin 75 22.73%

PS4 will win by a small margin 75 22.73%

PS4 will win by a huge margin 117 35.45%

Sorry, no troll XB1 option. :P Oh wait... 10 3.03%

Total:330
Azuren said:
Even if Switch outsold PS4 by 10% every week for the next 3 years, PS4 would still top it out by a large margin at the end of the generation.

Uh ... yeah ... Because that would give the Switch 4 years on the market vs. a potential 6 years? Lol.

Around the Network

Probably PS4, but saying that its too early, Switch still didnt had even 1st holiday season and it was/is supply constrained.

Too many variables to make a prediction. If all things stay as they are now, I think PS4 wins.

Start throwing around the possability of PS4 Premium, PS4 Portable/Phone, Switch Pro, or Switch Phone, and it gets really hard to tell.

I think both Sony and Nintendo have everything they need to make these the largest platforms they have ever released. It just comes down to whether they want to innovate, and bring a few key functions to them. If we get phone capabilities built into one of these platforms, sales will blow past PS2/DS, and could be anywhere from 200 - 400 million units sold when it is all said and done.

If both continue down the current path, and continue to refuse to get with the times, I expect PS4 to hit 130 - 160M, and Switch anywhere from 80 - 120M.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Too early to say. There is so much we do not know. When will the PS5 release? That has a huge influence on PS4's sales. When will Nintendo release Switch successor? Also a big factor. What exactly is Nintendo going to do in the next 3 years? Again it is mostly a mystery.

So I am going to have to fill in the gaps. I expect Nintendo to treat the Switch as an NES. What I mean is that it will have ALL of Nintendo's 1st party support for most of its life. That means that Nintendo can experiment with new ips again like they did with the NES. This gives the Switch much more potential than any other Nintendo system ever. New Ips can sell a system much better than an established ip can 3 years down the road. Nintendo showed that they can make very successful new ips as Splatoon showed. There was a time when Super Mario Bros and The Legend of Zelda were considered a new series. What if Nintendo comes up with new ips like that again? Then we will have the second coming of the NES.

I am a toss up for now.If Nintendo doesn't go full stupid and does everything correctly then the Switch can match the DS's sales. If Nintendo goes full stupid then Wii numbers are more likely. However as the days go by I feel like the chance of the Switch outselling the PS4 gets higher and higher.

Also we need an F tier.

Edit: I think the Switch is more likely to win in the end.

Last edited by killeryoshis - on 12 November 2017

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

PS4 will be at 80m units sold, before Switch is at 14m units..... I mean Switch could go on to eventually sell more, but we re talking far out in the future, with lifetime sales. By the time the Switch is ahead of the PS4, we ll be talking about how Playstation 5 is at 50m or something, if it ever happends.

Around the Network

Lol is that a system tier list?

I'll say it's gonna be close, but the PS4 should edge it out.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

PS4 Lifetime sales will still win by a very large margin.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Interesting. All Sony home consoles are A tier or better. All Nintendo handhelds are A tier or better.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

JRPGfan said:
PS4 will be at 80m units sold, before Switch is at 14m units.....

Interesting numbers you have there.

Sony's PS4 projection 3/2018: 79M
Nintendo's Switch projection 3/2018: 16.74M

I mean Switch could go on to eventually sell more, but we re talking far out in the future.

No shit. That's why it says "lifetime sales" in the title. What is your argument, exactly?

Look at the facts : PS4 has a considerably larger and more varied library than Switch, with most 3rd parties considering PS4 audience as their priority target. How can Switch get even close to PS4 userbase in that situation? At best, Switch will attract most Nintendo fans, part of casual gamers who aren't playing mobile and part of the Vita crowd. Without major 3rd party exclusives, Switch sales may even slow down in 2018.