By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 VS Switch lifetime sales, which console will sell the most?

What do you expect?

NSW will win by a huge margin 53 16.06%

NSW will win by a small margin 75 22.73%

PS4 will win by a small margin 75 22.73%

PS4 will win by a huge margin 117 35.45%

Sorry, no troll XB1 option. :P Oh wait... 10 3.03%

Total:330

It is too early to say. But I will go with the PS4 for now.  I think the PS4 in the end will sell around 105-110m.  And although there is a chance for the Switch to reach that number. I am still skeptical about it.

And I have two main reasons for my skepticism and those are:

1) The ever growing mobile market.  We all have seen the shrinkage of the handheld market (It went from 241m units in gen 7th to less than 100m in gen 8th).  Now, it is possible that the Switch hybrid nature might be able to revert this shrinkage process, but that remains to be seen.

And 2) 4K and VR.  In around four years these two will be a lot more mainstream, which will push the need for power even more.  And by that time we will already have PS5 and X2 to fulfill that need.

So, I think in 4 years the Switch might find itself in the same place as the 3DS is right now.  Which is not bad, all things considered.  But not enough to push it above the 100m.

Around the Network
bluedawgs said:

Yes, the Switch rarely outsells the PS4. It destroys PS4 in Japan, thats correct. It has beaten PS4 in NPD by very small margins a few times this year yes. Thing is, I wasn't talking about those specific countries, you're responding to me as if I did. Why is that? What I said was correct in every conceivable way. Switch rarely outsells PS4, if ever. 

The thing about losing to Ps4 in its best year is that we are now in year 4 of a continual incline in sales. The PS4 still hasn't peaked, it has every chance to sell better than it has this year in 2018.

By the way it is fucking hilarious that Nintendo fans think Switch will hit 100 million lol, i mean it took years of constant, in your face success for most Nintendo/Xbox fans to accept that PS4 will pass 100 million easily, yet 8 months in people think its locked that Switch will get there AND outsell the PS4 despite the Ps4 continuing to sell not just more, but A LOT more. Shows how warped their realities are.

By the way the recent Nintendo consoles have peaked in year 2 or 1 

Wii (2006) - peaked in 2008

Wii U (2012) - peaked in 2013

3DS (2011) - peaked in 2013

DS is actually the only one that didn't and I'm on mobile and I don't feel like going to check but I believe it peaked in 2007, if not 2008

Look, you bring up good points. Good points I already knew because people bring them up all the time, but they are good points. All I'm saying is that an arrogant attitude that is meant to downplay the Switch, is not the way to communicate your ideas. The console is doing great, and who knows, it could continue to do great. I honestly kind of doubt the Switch will have a trajectory like a normal nintendo console, I think it's likely the console will peak 3rd year but continue to get pretty great sales 4 or 5 years later. I think it will look closer to a normal consoles sales, than a Nintendo's. I also think it's possible for PS4 to beat 2017 in 2018 ... but then again the exact thing is true of Switch. Just make a more constructive comment instead of toxic ones.  

Also, it's A ) Not laughable to think the Switch can do 100 and B ) Who the fuck didn't think the PS4 would sell more than 100M? Lol

PS4 by a decent margin. If NS ends up outselling the ps4 I'm buying one

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
bluedawgs said:

Yes, the Switch rarely outsells the PS4. It destroys PS4 in Japan, thats correct. It has beaten PS4 in NPD by very small margins a few times this year yes. Thing is, I wasn't talking about those specific countries, you're responding to me as if I did. Why is that? What I said was correct in every conceivable way. Switch rarely outsells PS4, if ever. 

The thing about losing to Ps4 in its best year is that we are now in year 4 of a continual incline in sales. The PS4 still hasn't peaked, it has every chance to sell better than it has this year in 2018.

By the way it is fucking hilarious that Nintendo fans think Switch will hit 100 million lol, i mean it took years of constant, in your face success for most Nintendo/Xbox fans to accept that PS4 will pass 100 million easily, yet 8 months in people think its locked that Switch will get there AND outsell the PS4 despite the Ps4 continuing to sell not just more, but A LOT more. Shows how warped their realities are.

By the way the recent Nintendo consoles have peaked in year 2 or 1 

Wii (2006) - peaked in 2008

Wii U (2012) - peaked in 2013

3DS (2011) - peaked in 2013

DS is actually the only one that didn't and I'm on mobile and I don't feel like going to check but I believe it peaked in 2007, if not 2008

Look, you bring up good points. Good points I already knew because people bring them up all the time, but they are good points. All I'm saying is that an arrogant attitude that is meant to downplay the Switch, is not the way to communicate your ideas. The console is doing great, and who knows, it could continue to do great. I honestly kind of doubt the Switch will have a trajectory like a normal nintendo console, I think it's likely the console will peak 3rd year but continue to get pretty great sales 4 or 5 years later. I think it will look closer to a normal consoles sales, than a Nintendo's. I also think it's possible for PS4 to beat 2017 in 2018 ... but then again the exact thing is true of Switch. Just make a more constructive comment instead of toxic ones.  

Also, it's A ) Not laughable to think the Switch can do 100 and B ) Who the fuck didn't think the PS4 would sell more than 100M? Lol

1. I never said it was laughable that the Switch could hit 100 mill, I said it was hilarious that Nintendo fans think that within 8 months of Switch's launch despite a lot of the same people saying PS4 couldn't even with big time success for multiple consecutive years

2. Not trying to be a dick, but the bolded is either revisionist history or you simply being ignorant (either on purpose or not.) Let's put it this way, the creator of this thread thought the PS4 would only barely pass the PS3, and that was like a year ago lol. Theres actually still people on this very website who, to this day, think PS4 will collapse like next year or some shit and never pass 100 million.  

bluedawgs said:

1. I never said it was laughable that the Switch could hit 100 mill, I said it was hilarious that Nintendo fans think that within 8 months of Switch's launch despite a lot of the same people saying PS4 couldn't even with big time success for multiple consecutive years

2. Not trying to be a dick, but the bolded is either revisionist history or you simply being ignorant (either on purpose or not.) Let's put it this way, the creator of this thread thought the PS4 would only barely pass the PS3, and that was like a year ago lol. Theres actually still people on this very website who, to this day, think PS4 will collapse like next year or some shit and never pass 100 million.  

1. I mean ... I guess?  

2. I mean, I just joined this site last year. I won't deny there was ever people saying it wouldn't make it, but I don't remember their being "the PS4 won't sell 100M" threads. Maybe that is me being ignorant, but people who think the PS4 won't pass 100M are people that shouldn't be taken seriously. I doubt it was a large selection of the Nintendo or the Xbox or the Atari 2600 community, probably just a few idiots. 

Around the Network
Qwark said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

Rarely? ... It's outsold the PS4 almost every month in NPD and Japan. Like, what? How is that rarely?

Also, it's so weird to me that people think a first year console with huge supply issues up until recently should be outselling a console in it's best year. Why do so many people think new consoles automatically outsell old ones, or that it's expected for new consoles to do so? 

For christ's sakes, there are some people in this thread who have gone as far as to say that the Switch will decrease from now on because it's "biggest exclusives" have already released. Really? Consoles don't work like that. Odyssey isn't the Switch's biggest exclusive either, neither is Zelda. 

Say PS4 will outsell Switch all ya want, I voted that in the pole. But please people, have some common sense.

The world is a lot bigger than Nintendo's two strongest markets. And as long as the Switch sells more in Japan than Europe  (the latter doesn't have all that much supply issues in most big countries). PS4 can relatively easy compete worldwide with the Switch. As it stands now European PS4 sales usually double the Switch European sales and that's enough to overcome NPD losses (usually by only 25k tops a month) and Switch outselling PS4 in Japan.

Actually, the Switch has sold better in "Other" regions (EU, Hong Kong, etc) than in Japan. And fair to point out the Switch still has to release in some small markets (South Korea and Taiwan this December, China possibly sometime in the future, for example)

Switch Hardware shipments WW (as of September 30th):
Japan - 1.95 million LTD
The Americas - 3.11 million LTD
Other - 2.56 million LTD

https://www.resetera.com/threads/nintendo-2nd-quarter-results-fy3-2018-switch-7-63m-units-ltd.2459/

How much of "Other" comes from Europe, impossible to know. But shouldn't surprise anyone if it's more than 90% share.

The reason Switch isn't outselling the PS4 every week isn't that it sells badly outside of Japan and US. It's that the PS4 (or PS in general) sells amazingly well in Europe and (specially compared to Xbox and Nintendo) in emerging markets.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Intrinsic said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:
PS4 will be the winner of Generation 8. Switch will be the winner of Generation 9. How will each do? PS4 will do quite well and finish in that table's S rank. Switch is another story altogether.

Switch will amaze people starting in 2019. 2018 will be a disappointing year for Switch, and Nintendo will have a fair amount of supply sitting on the shelves in most of the world. Roughly the time that Pokemon is released Switch consoles are going to start flying off the shelves. People will even say that Pokemon single-handedly saved the Switch, but the truth is that a bunch of Japanese 3rd party games will also be released around the same time. Sometime in 2019 Nintendo will run out of stock in their major territories. In 2020 and later years they are going to sell record numbers. The Switch will become this cultural phenomenon like people have never seen before.

In short this table will have to create a new SSS rank just for the Switch. It is going to get all of the people who would normally be in the handheld market plus a huge chunk of the home console market. It will be a console like no other.

o.................................k

Only thing I agree with is the bolded part. 

And that actually is something iteresting. The PS4 and NS aren't even in the same generation of consoles. So yes, the PS4 will win gen 8, nintendos gen 8 console was the wiiU.  The NS I believe will win gen 9, when its gen 9 counterparts the PS5 and XB2 comes along. 

Now the funny thing about all this is this; the NS stands to sell better than any home console. If and only if it sells like a hybrid that it is. So based on that it will outsell the PS4 at the end of the day but lose gen 8. Win gen 9 by default because by the time the PS6 is released I strongly doubt the PS5 would have sold as much as the NS. Unless for some reason MS pulls out of the home console space.

Well, at least we agree on something. :)

The release date of the Switch is a lot like the release date of the Genesis.  The Genesis released in 1989, technically to compete with the NES.  The SNES released in 1991, two years later, and history has put them in the same generation ever since.  

I think it is very likely that the PS5 is coming in 2019.  It will be in the considered in the same generation as the Switch.

Manlytears said:
Ps4 wins, big margin, +1.5 more consoles

Ps4: 115m
Switch: 75m
Xbox: 55m

Switch: 65m
Xbox: 45m

switch sales will slow down fast.

quickrick said:

Switch: 65m
Xbox: 45m

switch sales will slow down fast.

Ok, guess i'll say my predictions as well

NSW - 125m
PS4 - 125m
XB1 - i don't give a shit a this point, but probs 40-45m

We'll see how Switch sales will slow down, good luck with that.

fatslob-:O said:
StarDoor said:

For how much longer are you going to use the same tired arguments and logical fallacies?

1.) 3DS was $170. Switch is exceeding its performance while costing $130 more. Yet, in your mind, this indicates equivalent demand for the product.
2.) NSMB2 and AC:NL were the only blockbusters that 3DS had in 2012, and AC:NL didn't even release anywhere except Japan and South Korea until June 2013. In terms of system sellers, 2011, 2013, and even 2014 have superior lineups. Of course, by this point, 3DS already had a tarnished reputation, so it's laughable that you think Switch will follow the same trajectory.
3.) DS and PS2 were both behind PS4 by the end of their first full fiscal years, yet, as of 16 quarters, both are now ahead. PS2 is ahead by 2M despite not launching anywhere except Japan for the its first three quarters. DS launched similarly to PS4, except with a delayed Q1 launch in Europe instead of Japan, and is ahead by 16.8M. On the other hand, GBA and Wii had much better first years than PS4, but we certianly don't expect PS4 to end up behind those two consoles. Clearly, first year performance tells us little about the differences in lifetime sales between successful platforms. All we can say is that platforms with good sales right off the bat continue to have good sales.

1) I thought rol made the point that price didn't matter in the 3DS's advantage ? You're not going to follow with him in that regard ? 

There's many ways to determine demand but price and demand goes hand in hand. A basic economic theory is that the demand of service/goods that are sensitive to price are said to be elastic ... 

If the 3DS at $170 is just as desirable as the Switch is at $300 then so be it ... 

2) The fact that Nintendo is expecting to ship 16.74M units total for the first fiscal means that the Switch so far is expected to have a similar trajectory to the 3DS. 3DS was hardly what anyone would describe as "tarnished" when it went on to sell 7M units in the last quarter of 2011 according to this sites data so consumers must have forgiven it one way or another ... (Both Switch and 3DS had a similar set of titles yet coincidentally Nintendo are expecting similar market response for no reason ?) 

Also 2014 for the 3DS was fairly "meh" worthy when most of the big titles were just second entries on the same platform so that's why 2012 saw higher hardware sales for the 3DS than 2014 despite the fact the latter had more big releases ... 

3) OK, I concede you have a point that first year sales don't tell much about lifetime sales but at the same time you cannot easily discard the possibility that the Switch might very well only match the 3DS when both had a similar set of games so far in their life but to only end up with similar expectations up to a certain point ... 

1.) I don't think I have ever seen Rol argue that 3DS getting a price cut was completely irrelevant to its sales in its first year, so I have a strong suspicion that you have severely misunderstood Rol's arguments. It's either that, or you are purposely mischaracterizing his argument. More to the point, you have already described exactly why it is illogical to expect Switch to plateau in the same manner as 3DS. If you already are aware of price elasticity of demand, then for what purpose are you still being stubborn about Switch having an advantage in its room for price cuts?

2.) Do you honestly not understand the concept of sales curves? The only alternative is that you are feigning ignorance for the sole purpose of belittling Switch's performance. According to your logic, PS4 also had a similar trajectory to 3DS, but this completely ignores the actual market situation that both consoles were in at the end of their first complete fiscal years.

Also, did you completely miss the slew of negative press in the months after 3DS's release? 3DS's reputation was tarnished in the same sense that PS3's reputation was tarnished. Their sales look good in a vacuum, but neither console matched the historical performance of their respective brands. Nintendo may have cut the price to stem the bleeding, but that didn't change its overall trajectory. It just shifted the sales curve forward, which is why 3DS's first and second years were so similar in performance. How much do you think 3DS would have sold in FY3/2012 had it not received a price cut? Judging by its Q1 shipment of 0.71, it probably would have sold half as much.

Switch does not have this problem. It did not need a price cut in its first year, and it is selling better than 3DS was selling at its peak. Even if you assume a perfectly equal library (which is already absurd, given the greater development resources from combining home console and handheld divisions,) Switch will necessarily do better than 3DS because it will follow a standard console trajectory with a distinct peak.

I suppose I should also address your argument about how Switch will either plateau or decline in the following years because of how many heavy hitters have already released.

This is complete garbage, and you clearly do not understand the power of Nintendo's back catalog.

Take DS's peak year of 2008. Can you guess what fantastic new games released in that year, that propelled it to such heights? Well, the answer is: Nothing. The best-selling new DS game of 2008 was Mario and Sonic at the Olympic games, which sold 3.7 million copies. Next up was Guitar Hero: On Tour at 2.5 million. Then Pokemon Platinum at 2.3 million. Of course, Pokemon doesn't count because Diamond and Pearl were already released, and as you so often argue, new games of the same franchise don't help consoles sales. Isn't that right?

In any case, the new games of 2008 were lacking too much in both quantity and quality to explain the 29.7 million units that DS sold in 2008. What can explain DS's sales in that year is the fact that Brain Age 1/2, New Super Mario Bros, Nintendogs, and Mario Kart DS continued to be sales monsters years after release.

So, go ahead. Please explain to us why games like Super Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild, despite being some of the best, if not the best games in their respective franchises, are going to have far less sustained selling power than the mostly play-it-safe titles on 3DS.