By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will there become a time that we dont need a new console??

Will there become a time that we dont need a new console??

yes 10 23.26%

no 21 48.84%

I hope so 3 6.98%

i hope not i like a new c... 9 20.93%

Total:43

So a simple question really, Do you think there will become a time when Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo hit a point where there is no longer any more point in bringing out more powerful consoles? and when do you think that will be.

There's obviously more room for improvement yet, but there's going to become a time when there is enough power for visuals to look photorealistic and  enough power to have plenty of characters and action happening on screen to not have slowdown or juttering going on, zero loading times and plenty of power to do 3d or VR experiences. When we finally get to this point in console technology/power do you think that the companies will be happy to just no longer bring out any more consoles and purely focus on 1st party AAA games.

Personally I'd really like this to happen, it'd be great to think id no longer have to fork out for another console.

PSN ID: Stokesy 

Add me if you want but let me know youre from this website

Around the Network

Possibly, but I doubt it, at least not for a while since technology is always advancing at a rapid pace and becoming better.

Just look at 4K, for a long while 1080p was the standard and was what developers aimed to hit, now 4K will start to become the norm over the next few years as 4K tv's drop down in price and consoles release that push for it like the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X. Then after that probably 8K.

Even if eventually the visuals get to a point where they look photorealistic there will probably still be people looking to push it even more to somehow better it and new methods/processes of development will probably arise and if they can't push the graphics any further then perhaps they'll choose to focus on something else like framerate. Hell, maybe eventually we could be looking at a point where developers just use that power to push for like over 60fps if the visuals are already at best they can ever be. 

Last edited by FloatingWaffles - on 11 November 2017

Arguably, we can say we got to a point where we don't need a new phone 5 years ago. I mean everything that a phone does today a phone could do it just fine 5 years ago. But we still see new phones every year.

Yes, at some point, maybe 2 gens from now, we will get to a point where a new console isn't needed on the hardware side of things and console updates will be for things of far less importance than new generational leaping APUs. Maybe at that point we will just switch to streaming.

Things change I guess.

First successful streaming service that can provide low latency and good bandwidth...and they're gone.

Though I fully expect that once volumetric displays become reality we'll see some sort of console-ish hardware.

FloatingWaffles said:

I doubt it, technology is always advancing at a rapid pace and becoming better.

Just look at 4K, for a long while 1080p was the standard and was what developers aimed to hit, now 4K will start to become the norm over the next few years as 4K tv's drop down in price and consoles release that push for it like the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X. Then after that probably 8K.

Even if eventually the visuals get to a point where they look photorealistic there will probably still be people looking to push it even more to somehow better it and new methods/processes of development will probably arise and if they can't push the graphics any further then perhaps they'll choose to focus on something else like framerate. Hell, maybe eventually we could be looking at a point where developers just use that power to push for like 120 fps instead of 60fps if the visuals are already at best they can ever be. 

Resolution is a finite thing though. Like the polygon count battles of old, at some point we will get to a place with resolution where everyone will say thats enough or say "errr.... I can't see the difference". We are already at a point where we have to zoom in like 300% just to point something out, that kinda fallacy will get old soon enough.

But yh, everything else stands to improve though. Lightning, AI and framerates. I think those are the battles the next gen and onwards will be tackling.

But no, 8k gaming..... 120fps etc will probably never be a thing (even if its at some point possible). Reason simply being that they aren't marketable. You can't see them. I mean, for 8k gaming to become relevant you basically need to be gaming on a 150" display and probably sitting no more than 8ft from it. Good luck with that. 

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:
FloatingWaffles said:

Even if eventually the visuals get to a point where they look photorealistic there will probably still be people looking to push it even more to somehow better it and new methods/processes of development will probably arise and if they can't push the graphics any further then perhaps they'll choose to focus on something else like framerate. Hell, maybe eventually we could be looking at a point where developers just use that power to push for like 120 fps instead of 60fps if the visuals are already at best they can ever be. 

Resolution is a finite thing though. Like the polygon count battles of old, at some point we will get to a place with resolution where everyone will say thats enough or say "errr.... I can't see the difference". We are already at a point where we have to zoom in like 300% just to point something out, that kinda fallacy will get old soon enough.

But yh, everything else stands to improve though. Lightning, AI and framerates. I think those are the battles the next gen and onwards will be tackling.

But no, 8k gaming..... 120fps etc will probably never be a thing (even if its at some point possible). Reason simply being that they aren't marketable. You can't see them. I mean, for 8k gaming to become relevant you basically need to be gaming on a 150" display and probably sitting no more than 8ft from it. Good luck with that. 

Yeah, I don't think 8K gaming or 120fps will ever be a thing either, or at least not a standard or regular thing, i'm just saying that it could eventually be possible if console makers continue to keep pushing for the best new hardware/specs for a long time and never stopping like the OP said. Eventually it could hit a point like that, though that would be a long long way away, but yeah who knows if it would be worth it at that point or viable.

Intrinsic said:
FloatingWaffles said:

There's that other thing that needs enormous amount of juice - voxel octrees and similar approaches.

Tim Sweeney (Epic) few years ago in Gamasutra interview (IIRC) mentioned at least some 25 TFLOPS for such worlds...honestly, I don't see hititing the "good enough" wall anytime soon, but I do think streaming will come first and make dedicated devices redundant.

One day, but not any time soon. I mean eventually we will probably reach a point where they can inplant a chip that runs off your natural energy, that can perfectly recreate anything your mind desires.

I think in the next 20+ years the console market is going to continue to grow, and I still believe they will replace PC's in many peoples homes, and the Hub of their smart device life style.

We have a long way to go before we even reach the point where we can throw on a VR device, and get a pefecrt recreation of the world we live in, or a fantasy world that we can completely escape to. As long as we are chasing the dream of creating 100% escapism, consoles will be around to provide the ride. Streaming will not be suitable for VR for many, many years to come.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

One day, when companies don't want to make money anymore.

When everyone realizes PC's are better