By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will there become a time that we dont need a new console??

Will there become a time that we dont need a new console??

yes 10 23.26%

no 21 48.84%

I hope so 3 6.98%

i hope not i like a new c... 9 20.93%

Total:43
KBG29 said:
One day, but not any time soon. I mean eventually we will probably reach a point where they can inplant a chip that runs off your natural energy, that can perfectly recreate anything your mind desires.

I think in the next 20+ years the console market is going to continue to grow, and I still believe they will replace PC's in many peoples homes, and the Hub of their smart device life style.

We have a long way to go before we even reach the point where we can throw on a VR device, and get a pefecrt recreation of the world we live in, or a fantasy world that we can completely escape to. As long as we are chasing the dream of creating 100% escapism, consoles will be around to provide the ride. Streaming will not be suitable for VR for many, many years to come.

I don't see consoles becoming super computers and completely doing away with laptops and desktops. This, again, is more of your dream world, your dream reality, than the actual reality we are currently living in. 

You want them to be done away with because you dislike having to use them and would vastly prefer that no one else would have to use them.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network

It's inevitable IMO. It could still be decades away, but there's gonna come a time where instead of buying new consoles we just download an app on our mobile device, computer or TV and stream the game to that platform. It's just a matter of time before companies have the infrastructure to stream games (near) flawlessly and until almost every household has an internet connection good enough to stream games.
It also wouldn't surprise me if one day Sony releases a TV with a build-in PlayStation, or if Microsoft releases a Surfrace Pro with a build-in Xbox or Xbox emulation capabilities.

If we can beat the laws of physics and eliminate any latency while streaming from a server, sure.

Otherwise some form of local HW and upgrades are always needed. Especially with the move to VR and higher frame rates latency becomes more and more important.

For now, latency free streaming dual 8K at 144 fps, kind of a minimum requirement for VR at current display quality, is very much sci-fi. Actually the bandwidth can be lowered with foveated rendering, however to measure your gaze, send it to the server, render frame, compress, send back, decompress, all within 7ms, good luck.

A combination of server based games with local hardware for frame adjustments / interpolation could work. Sort of like ps4's 60 to 120fps reprojection, yet a lot smarter.

And then we get holographic displays which increase the processing power need by an order of magnitude.

If there is a time where developers / platform holders no longer feel they need to progress; I am done with gaming.

The way it is now, even given 100 years, we won't reach a level of graphical fidelity I am happy with.
If there is a point in my lifetime that the industry is stagnant, that will be my jumping off point.

Miguel_Zorro said:
caffeinade said:
If there is a time where developers / platform holders no longer feel they need to progress; I am done with gaming.

The way it is now, even given 100 years, we won't reach a level of graphical fidelity I am happy with.
If there is a point in my lifetime that the industry is stagnant, that will be my jumping off point.

100 years?

Games will be indistinguishable from reality on the most powerful consoles within 20 years. 

Whilst 100 years is clearly just a number I pulled out of nowhere, I don't think 20 years will be enough.

Around the Network

Yes for me this generation already did that. I am not saying that games will never get better or that this is a fact, but imo I prefer last gen games. I prefer the 360 to the Xbox One because I enjoyed the quality of games back then more. So for xbox I think this already happened for some people like myself. I am considering selling my xbox one and joining PC master race.

Well, we don't really need new consoles as it is. However, the manufacturers want people to keep buying new products to avoid lessening sales, so as long as they can keep doing that, they will.

It may be possible, but not anytime soon. Technology is always advancing and consoles eventually reach a point where they reach their limit and need new hardware. There will always be something that can be approved upon for the next line of hardware.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Not in our lifetime

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

Unlikely, since selling hardware is good money for companies. If they can make a profit with selling hardware, they will continue to do so and to make new consoles for people to buy newer versions

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]