By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread: The Greatest Games Event 2017 - FINISH YOUR LISTS

#36 Fallout 3

For a long time Bethesda just couldn't get their act together. Morrowwind was a fantastic game in scope, but a technical mess. Oblivion was a technical showcase, but poorly planned and stale. Then along came Fallout 3 merging the best of both games. Fallout 3 isn't a dumbed down open world RPG like Fallout 4. It still has plenty of the complexity that makes many oldschool PC RPGs so much fun to play. This was the first game that I unlocked 100% of the gamerscore for on 360. I wish this would get a remaster on PS4 or Switch. It kind of needs it especially on consoles. 

Around the Network
Flilix said:
S.Peelman said:

Time for a second hint then;

#35 - Hint 2

An honourable death though, and upon your uncle's last breath he hands you his sword.

Zelda: A Link to the Past

Yes, Sinterklaas is correct.

I knew the second hint would make it easy.

game #36

Hint 1: Keep your sanity and gain fame.

Hint 2: Play as Charles Darwin, Marie Curie, Nikola Tesla, Amelia Earhart or many other famous explorers or scientists.

Hint 3: The golden pyramid awaits you!

Hint 4: The expeditions are generated randomly.

Hint 5: Will you stay safe, or will the curiosity overwhelm you?

game #35

Hint 1: In this game you travel into space. With a train? To have your music tourney? On a graveyard?

Hint 2: Make millions!

Hint 3: The company who made this game back then is now famous for one of the most successful shooters and the development of the engine used by the publisher who bought them.

Hint 4: Although the publisher who bought them destroyed many game companies it bought, the one that made that game thrives.

Hint 5: This Pinball game was the first in a series of the dev and the first game of this dev ever.

game #34

Hint 1: Lost on a ship.

Hint 2: In this game return two characters from the first game in the series as playable characters.

Hint 3: The two characters I talked about end up actually on different ships.

Hint 4: There is a third, sunken ship.

Hint 5: Shoot your way through the enemies in single-player with an AI-partner or in two-player online coop.

game #33

Hint 1: This famous adventurer with a hat and a whip is the hero of this game and the movie.

Hint 2: This game corresponds to the third movie of the series.

This was nearly guessed by S.Peelman and then correctly by LiquidLaser: Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade: The Graphic Adventure (because yes, there was a second game based on the last crusade)

game #32

Hint 1: Why does the earth rumble?

Hint 2: I make a hat out of my defeated enemies!

Hint 3: The city at the edge of the desert is replaced by a port town in the remake.

Hint 4: Something Devilish can turn up unexpectedly in other battles.

Hint 5: Cha-Cha or Kayamba?

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:

game #36

Hint 2: Play as Charles Darwin, Marie Curie, Nikola Tesla, Amelia Earhart or many other famous explorers or scientists.

game #34

Hint 2: In this game return two characters from the first game in the series as playable characters.

Hint 5: Shoot your way through the enemies in single-player with an AI-partner or in two-player online coop.

34 is RE Revelations, and I think 35 is Civilization, but I honestly dont know

mZuzek said:
Slarvax said:

An indie metroidvania where you play as a scientist in another planet.

Axiom Verge? Not sure if that's on another planet or whatever, I don't remember much. Only played maybe the game's first half or less because I just didn't enjoy it at all.

Yep.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

This 3D platformer features the best orchesta that has played in space! (And because I'm weird, I include the sequel at the same spot)

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Around the Network
Slarvax said:
Mnementh said:

game #36

game #34

34 is RE Revelations, and I think 35 is Civilization, but I honestly dont know

34 is correct. For 35 I just added the hint, that it is a Pinball game, but you probably meant 36. Still wrong though, it is not Civilization. As it is time to reveal, you'll learn as I'm home and write up the description. It is quite niche, so I'm not super-surprised nobody guessed it.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

S.Peelman said:
Flilix said:

Zelda: A Link to the Past

Yes, Sinterklaas is correct.

I knew the second hint would make it easy.

I haven't even played the game.

Mnementh said:

game #36

Sadly nobody guessed this game. It is The Curious Expedition.

This little but fun game let you choose a famous explorer or scientist and go on an expedition. The motivation is, that the scientific society wants to build a statue in honour of their most famous member. Your chosen character is among them, but others compete for the title. So you go on six expeditions with increasing difficulty to gain more fame than your competitors.

In each expedition your goal is to find the Golden Pyramid. The area is randomly generated. Your main resource is sanity, that goes down on moving through the jungle/desert/mountains/... or on some special occasion. The expedition is filled with encounters. So you might find a temple with some treasures. You can take the treasures that may give you more fame or money (for the next expedition) on return, but it might also have bad consequences.

The game is kinda hard, but short and fun enough to try again and again. And each game plays differently, there are a lot of interesting events sprinkled in.

The game is available on different download-platforms and is not expensive. So if you have $15 to spend and like such games, you might head over to GOG or Steam and get it.

MobyGames, OGDB, IGDB

game #35

Hint 1: In this game you travel into space. With a train? To have your music tourney? On a graveyard?

Hint 2: Make millions!

Hint 3: The company who made this game back then is now famous for one of the most successful shooters and the development of the engine used by the publisher who bought them.

Hint 4: Although the publisher who bought them destroyed many game companies it bought, the one that made that game thrives.

Hint 5: This Pinball game was the first in a series of the dev and the first game of this dev ever.

Hint 6: I prefer the dreams over the illusions or fantasies.

game #34

Guessed by Slarvax: Resident Evil Revelations.

game #33

Hint 1: This famous adventurer with a hat and a whip is the hero of this game and the movie.

Hint 2: This game corresponds to the third movie of the series.

This was nearly guessed by S.Peelman and then correctly by LiquidLaser: Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade: The Graphic Adventure (because yes, there was a second game based on the last crusade)

game #32

Hint 1: Why does the earth rumble?

Hint 2: I make a hat out of my defeated enemies!

Hint 3: The city at the edge of the desert is replaced by a port town in the remake.

Hint 4: Something Devilish can turn up unexpectedly in other battles.

Hint 5: Cha-Cha or Kayamba?

Hunt 6!

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

• Super Nintendo Entertainment System, GameBoy Advance
  • Adventure
  • Nintendo EAD

At the start of this list when I mentioned games that were important to my start and growth as a gamer, there was another game that actually deserved to be in a list like this. That game is 'The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past', and I doubt anyone would disagree with the statement. The game is considered a classic by many, and it really is for good reason.

The game is a milestone in the series, setting a lot of it's lore and style in stone, but it is also a milestone in it's genre and among it's peers on the Super Nintendo. In the game Link is called upon in his sleep by Princess Zelda who has been put in the dungeons of her castle by "Agahnim", a sorcerer that has betrayed and killed the king. Unbeknownst yet, is that Agahnim is actually the evil Ganon in disguise. The 'King of Thieves' has escaped the confines of the ethereal Sacred Realm where he had been imprisoned ages before. Descendants of those that sealed him have been kidnapped and are being sacrificed, in a bid to find the sacred Triforce, which grants the user the power of the goddesses that left it, when they created the world.

I used to think the game was impossible to beat, literally, and that the final boss Ganon, was immortal. Until I discovered my aunt actually did beat the game. I was still a young child however, and I was mostly playing on her file without really knowing what was going on since I still lacked any real knowledge of the English language. Besides playing her file, I started like a dozen new ones just to see the rain at the game's start again and again. The game made an enormous impression on me, and the series would forever stay in my mind as my absolute favorite video game series.