By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread: The Greatest Games Event 2017 - FINISH YOUR LISTS

mZuzek said:
And so, we finally reach the "FINISH YOUR LISTS" part. It's always so sad.

It is.

I was talking about how the Triforce wasn't attainable in Ocarina of Time in my hint by the way.

Last edited by S.Peelman - on 31 December 2017

Around the Network

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

• Nintendo 64, GameCube, Nintendo 3DS
  • Adventure
  • Nintendo EAD

And there it is, finally. After some time of discussing games, this is the point where we reach the top game of all, the number 1 greatest game of all time. 'The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time' certainly is that. What can be said? The game equals perfection in every way and it would still be the only game I would ever give a perfect score. At least up to the present day, who knows what the future brings. This game is usually on my mind, even when playing something else, because this is what I'd rather be playing!

The game features the most classic good versus evil story one could imagine. In fact, there's a lot of comparisons to be made between it and 'Knights of the Old Republic' in the #2 spot, so you could guess what kind of story I like. Link is an unsuspecting youth growing up amongst a tribe known as the Kokiri, when one day he is called upon by the guardian of the forest, the Deku Tree. As it turns out, he is not a Kokiri at all, but was left there hidden away after birth because he is the child of Legend.

One of the most epic moments in gaming is when the player enters the chamber behind the Door of Time, and pulls the legendary Master Sword from it's pedestal. Link is entombed within the heavenly Sacred Realm to wake up seven years later, only to find the world now under the depressing reign of the evil Ganondorf. When the game seemed over already, it turns out it's actually three times larger than the part you already played, and some of the best moments are still ahead. Unparalleled world and level design decades ahead of it's time, a feel of epicness and wonder never again seen and memorable event after memorable event make the game something special from start to finish.

I was already familiar with the series, and 'A Link to the Past' was already one of my favorite games. Even as a child in an age when there wasn't really much of an internet to speak of, I was very well aware of this game's impending release. I don't think I've ever been more hyped about a game release either before or since. I begged everyone in my family to get me this game; someone, please, buy me this game. I would wash the dishes for a year. I even proceeded to draw a picture of the box-art to show people so they would know what to look for. It was wrong though, I used lower-case letters instead of upper-case, and colored it gold instead of black. It wasn't perfect, but thankfully, as it turned out, people got the message. And the game thankfully was perfect.

There's many more stories and memories attached to this game, and I could go on for a while. Still to this day, when I once again see the end credits roll, I watch it without blinking an eye. It remains ever as epic. 'The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time', it is the greatest game ever made.

Slarvax said:
Obviously, the best game ever

A Link Between Worlds?

Mnementh said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

This explanation makes sense to me.  I also think it had another thing in it's favor, which is an artistic principle I learned in book called, "understanding comics" by Scott McCloud.  McCloud says that people like a highly detailed world, but that characters are easier to relate to when they are less detailed.  An extreme example is the smiley face, which has almost no details but everyone relates to it.  So some of the best comics choose to draw their characters simply while having highly detailed backgrounds. 

Final Fantasy VII does this thing throughout most of the game.  They had a hard time transitioning to 3D, so they decided to hand draw most of the background environments.  These hand drawings look beautiful.  At the same time the 3D character models look incredibly basic.  The result is that it is very easy to get immersed into the game world while still being able to relate to Cloud and the other characters, because they look so simple. 

This with the detailed background and simple characters is new to me. I have to check next time I view animation movies. Might be true, Anime certainly simplifies characters. But I always thought that was to draw attention to the emotional expressions showed on the face and even exaggerated.

This is definitely not a technique I see used the majority of the time, but it seems to work fairly well when it is used (sometimes even accidentally).  An example I can think of off the top of my head is Spider-Man.  He is the most popular Marvel character, and he is extremely easy to relate to when he has his mask on.  He looks like a man, but his face is blank with the mask on, so anyone can empathize with him.  If you take the mask off, then you find that Peter Parker is harder to empathize with for some reason.  

Alright, here's a brief summary of my top 50, just for fun I guess. 

Decade Split:

1980s 1990s 2000s 2010s
12 (1 in top 10) 20 (4 in top 10) 17 (5 in top 10)

• The only game from the 80s still on my top 50 is Mega Man 2 at #46
  • The highest game from the 90s is Freespace 2 at #3, followed by Final Fantasy VIII at #12
  • The top 2 games are both from 2001, Final Fantasy IX at #1, and The Legend of Dragoon at #2
  • The newest game in the top 50 is Uncharted 4 at #10, followed by Dark Souls III at #8

Platform Split:

NES SNES N64 GC WII PS1 PS2 PS3 PS4 PC
3 4 1 1 1 5 8 17 3 8

• The highest NES game is Super Mario Bros. 3 at 24, the highest SNES game is Final Fantasy VI at 17
  • The only N64 game is Super Mario 64, and it barely made the list at #50
  • The Gamecube's highest, and only, game is Tales of Symphonia at #49, and the Wii's only game is Super Smash Bros. Brawl at #30
  • The PS1 only has 5 games, but it also takes the top 2 spots.
  • The highest PS2 game is Shadow of the Colossus at #6, followed by Final Fantasy X at #15
  • The PS3 has 4 games in the top 10, with Dark Souls and Valkyria Chronicles the two highest at #4 and 5 respectively
  • The PS4 only has three games, but all are in the top 11
  • The highest PC game is Freespace 2, the second highest The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky at #7

Most Represented Developers:

1. Square/Square Enix (7 games)
  2. FromSoftware (4 games)
  3. Nihon Falcom (4 games)
  4. Nintendo (4 games)
  5. Naughty Dog (3 games)
  6. Level 5 (3 games)
  7. Westwood (2 games)
  8. Capcom (2 games)
  • In addition there were 21 developers each with a single game in the top 50, unless we count Team Ico as part of Sony Japan Studios rather than as a separate entiry, as then they also have two games on the list.

Most Represented Franchises:

1. Final Fantasy (5 games)
  2. The Legend of Heroes (4 games)
  3. Dark Souls (3 games)
  4. Uncharted (2 games)
  5. Command & Conquer (2 games)
  6. Mega Man (2 games)
  • In addition, there were 32 franchises with a single game in the top 50.
Finally, of the 50 games on my list 36 were developed in Japan, and the rest in either Europe or North America, so while I definitely play a lot of games from both Western and Japanese developers, it's clear which I've historically liked slightly more. 
And that's it for my list this year. 

Around the Network

5. DW3

4 Hint 1: One of the earliest games to have an achievement like system.
Hint 2: Also had day/night system and fast travel. Get stronger by training, battling, or finding special items.
Hint 3: 65 Partners: 17+ Ultimates, 29 Champions all with their own unique move and they all have a certain amount of techniques out of 56 total.
Hint 4: The game is entirely open world aside from unlocking a few secret places by doing specific tasks. A big goal of the game is to recruit others to improve the city, and they all give something unique to it.

3 FFVIII

2 FFX

1 Hint 1: My favorite character in this game used to have a skill that allowed him to block and counterattack 20 opposing attacks.
Hint 2: One could fight in the world or join battles to show off your skills. Later, one can team up with a buddy or 2 and fight another group directly.
Hint 3: Once you get max level all you want to do is get better gear.
Hint 4: To get better gear, you go to dungeons. To get even better gear, you go to raids. Sometimes the raid gear would give you extra abilities if you completed a set.

Flilix said:
Slarvax said:
Obviously, the best game ever

A Link Between Worlds?

You know it.

mZuzek said:
Flilix said:

A Link Between Worlds?

ew

You don't.

Also, pretty interesting the huge amount of Zelda games that are so high up.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Happy New Years everyone, hope you are all doing well! The countdown is now over, but the threads will remain open for the next few days if you would to do some remaining hints, discuss the event or make your post in the official thread. On that note, if you haven't already, then please PM me your lists ASAP! The sooner I get all the lists then the sooner the results thread would be up.

That's all I got to say, thank you guys once again for participating in the event

mZuzek said:
(I'm trying to imbue this thread with a last little bit of fun, but it seems everyone is just sort of done... pretty sad that we barely got any wrap-up posts, but I'm still hopeful.)

There's nothing that gives more fun than random trivia from the games.

For example, about your no.1, did you know there's a Titanic reference in one of the paintings at Skipper's Retreat, but with the humanoid characters of Jack and Rose swapped into robots?

mZuzek said:

Here's another one for Shadow of the Colossus. Did you know that it originally was called Nico, it was supposed to work as a sequel to Ico, and having a Ico save file on your Memory Card would grant you access to a different ending?