By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread: The Greatest Games Event 2017 - FINISH YOUR LISTS

Slarvax said:

Haven't played it.

Go play it goddamit. Don't make me force you to eat a lemon.

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:

This explanation makes sense to me.  I also think it had another thing in it's favor, which is an artistic principle I learned in book called, "understanding comics" by Scott McCloud.  McCloud says that people like a highly detailed world, but that characters are easier to relate to when they are less detailed.  An extreme example is the smiley face, which has almost no details but everyone relates to it.  So some of the best comics choose to draw their characters simply while having highly detailed backgrounds. 

Final Fantasy VII does this thing throughout most of the game.  They had a hard time transitioning to 3D, so they decided to hand draw most of the background environments.  These hand drawings look beautiful.  At the same time the 3D character models look incredibly basic.  The result is that it is very easy to get immersed into the game world while still being able to relate to Cloud and the other characters, because they look so simple. 

This with the detailed background and simple characters is new to me. I have to check next time I view animation movies. Might be true, Anime certainly simplifies characters. But I always thought that was to draw attention to the emotional expressions showed on the face and even exaggerated.

Cerebralbore101 said:

The story of Xenoblade Chronicles is excellent and even one that I know non-anime fans would be able to get into. The plottwists in this game are somewhat predictable, but still great. All the characters are compelling with their own story arcs, and personal epiphanies. Riki is a personal favorite of mine. He's just a middle aged guy, saddled with great debt, and a ton of kids. But the fact that he's a cuddly little Nopon makes the player look at him differently. For most of the game you might be tricked into thinking he's just an adolescent fun loving kid that is tagging along with Shulk on an adventure. Nope. He's an grown man with an adult life. He's cowardly and lazy to boot. Oh and did I mention that he makes the ultimate tank? Just imagine a round ball of fluff, suited up in impenetrable spherical armor, taunting giant foes. 

I love Riki too. I noticed he had a bunch of children and debt and was declared heropon because of the debt. Great character. I was for that reason disappointed in the Nopon characters in XCX. They hadn't the depth of Riki.

BraLoD said:
Missed almost the whole event huh...
Well, not as if anyone would ever be able to guess my number 1 anyway.

It's certainly not Legend of Dragoon, am I right?

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said: I love Riki too. I noticed he had a bunch of children and debt and was declared heropon because of the debt. Great character. I was for that reason disappointed in the Nopon characters in XCX. They hadn't the depth of Riki.

Yep. He goes on and on about how he is the big heropon of his village. Turns out the villagers, just forced him to be heropon because, they just wanted him gone. He owed everybody in the town money. He was forced to choose to work off the debt, or be heropon (a suicide mission). That story is both hilarious and real at the same time. 

And now for some extra hints. Time to finish!

5. Hint 1: Killing things with heavy metal music never felt so good. Depending on the character you play as you could have a full retinue of bodyguards following you around. For example in addition to the standard 8 bodyguards, if you are the leader, many groups of elite troops may also follow you around.
Hint 2: My favorite character however was a general and in this iteration appears shirtless. His special attack charges him forward while mowing down enemies which perfectly describes my preferred playstyle: a strong berserker who does a lot of damage but has little defense.
Hint 3: *Kills a ton of people* "You are a true warrior of the Three Kingdoms" A bit harder in this iteration than others but still doable due to the gates giving infinite troops.

4 Hint 1: One of the earliest games to have an achievement like system.
Hint 2: Also had day/night system and fast travel. Get stronger by training, battling, or finding special items.
Hint 3: 65 Partners: 17+ Ultimates, 29 Champions all with their own unique move and they all have a certain amount of techniques out of 56 total.

3 Hint 1: Who will fight the war? The students of course!
Hint 2: This game is very famous for its soundtrack much more then others in its series. Around the same time this game came out part of its soundtrack also went for sale. A famous international singer sung the main song which is a first for the series.
Guessed by Wright kind of as FFVIII!

2 Hint 1: For a game, religion surprisingly makes an appearance at the forefront.
Hint 2: The world revolves around one thing, but the religion isn't focused on it as a god, rather an enemy.
Hint 3: All the characters are unique at first but one can decide how to use them. Be fast, accurate, strong, magical, healing, or a little bit of everything.

1 Hint 1: My favorite character in this game used to have a skill that allowed him to block and counterattack 20 opposing attacks.
Hint 2: One could fight in the world or join battles to show off your skills. Later, one can team up with a buddy or 2 and fight another group directly.
Hint 3: Once you get max level all you want to do is get better gear.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Mnementh said:

game #1

Obviously the best game of all times.

Hint 1: This is the third installment of a once very popular strategy series, which involved building up armies through your cities that join your heroes and fight the enemies heroes and their armies or try to take over enemy cities.

#1 is Heroes of MIght and Magic 3
(A very awesome game in a very awesome series.  I put HoMM2 as my #5 game, but I can't fault anyone who prefers HoMM3.)

I agree, this is an awesome game.

This game is a great combination of resource building and tactical fights. It is so much fun to explore the map, find artifacts for your heroes, secure resources and build new buildings in your towns that help you to get more troops.

The strangest thing is that the thing I love most is setting up a random generated map and play it against computer-enemies. You can set your challenge regarding your abilities and mood (sometimes I feel like an casual game to dominate a map). This game also features multiplayer or single player campaigns.

The game had a HD-remake a few years ago. The original game runs with Wine (a Windows-emulator) on Linux (the way I play). A project named VCMI tries to make a new engine for the game, that allows more features and mods. So a lot of ways even today exist to play the game.

Wikipedia, MobyGames, OGDB, IGDB

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
Wright said:

Dark Souls sucks.

Slarvax's #1 is... um I don't know, maybe I should use his incredibly anti-mystery official thread post to help me out? Nah, I'm not doing that. The only obvious answer to his hint would be Super Metroid (as I've previously mentioned), but that was at #3 and I don't think they allow us to list a game twice. So, I'm gonna go with... um, I don't know.

Xenoblade Chronicles maybe?

Nope. Also, I already put it on my list in the official thread soooo... dont

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

mZuzek said:
Wright said:

Dark Souls sucks.

It does suck in the sense that it ends. I'd love if the game was endless, but unfortunately, just like with every great thing in life, it does end.

Farsala said:

2 Hint 1: For a game, religion surprisingly makes an appearance at the forefront.
Hint 2: The world revolves around one thing, but the religion isn't focused on it as a god, rather an enemy.
Hint 3: All the characters are unique at first but one can decide how to use them. Be fast, accurate, strong, magical, healing, or a little bit of everything.

I'm going to take a wild guess here and say that Kimhari Ronso is the biggest embodiment of Hint 3.

Wright said:
mZuzek said:

Dark Souls sucks.

It does suck in the sense that it ends. I'd love if the game was endless, but unfortunately, just like with every great thing in life, it does end.

Farsala said:

I'm going to take a wild guess here and say that Kimhari Ronso is the biggest embodiment of Hint 3.

Heck yeah. He was my main character because I force fed him everything. Tidus with hastega then Kimahri and Auron dps with Yuna healing.

Ka-pi96 said:
Wright said:

I was just about to guess that, but you had to beat me to it didn't you?

Hurry up and guess #5 dang you!

mZuzek said: 

Guessed by John19

So, it all comes down to this. Skyward Sword, like apparently most of my favorite things in life, is a bit controversial. It drew loads of criticism from Zelda fans for being too linear, having too much backtracking, too self-contained areas, too much handholding, and forcing motion controls into everything - most of which was eventually addressed by Nintendo, who responded with the widely acclaimed Breath of the Wild. The new Zelda is a fantastic game, but ultimately the main reason I couldn't put it above its predecessor was because it couldn't compare to the things that made it so special: the story, the dungeons, and the soundtrack.

When I was playing this game, I could never get into any of the controversy. Where some people were complaining left and right, I was just having the time of my life everytime I woke up and picked up that Wii remote. Every day I was fascinated by the beautiful locales, the clever puzzles, the incredible dungeons, the immersive music, the somewhat intense combat and above all, the engaging story filled with characters I deeply cared about - at this time it felt like I was living in this world - and ultimately, this is one of those games that keep getting better and better all the way to the mindblowingly epic ending. It was truly a rollercoaster ride: something you can't control, but is still awesome no matter how many times you try it.

I admit it's maybe a little hard playing this game off the back of Breath of the Wild, as there are constant nuisances like the pop-ups everytime you pick treasure or Fi always halting your gameplay to talk about something totally irrelevant you already had figured out, but in the end I think it just takes a bit of time to adjust and from then on it's easy to experience again and again everything that was so special about this game - in fact despite all the handholding and linearity, somehow I had more fun replaying it than most Zelda games (even its successors!).

So, yeah. I can only try to put it into words, but ultimately it is what it is. Skyward Sword is very special, and a game I love maybe too much - though that's something I can never feel guilty about.

I know that feel. It's pretty much how I feel about XBC2, even though I know it has a lot of faults. The good just outweighs the bad. 

Ka-pi96 said:
Farsala said:

Hurry up and guess #5 dang you!

Is the game (and your favourite character)...

Heck yeah. Still best iteration of Gan Ning despite the voice acting, though he had one of the better ones.