By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread: The Greatest Games Event 2017 - FINISH YOUR LISTS

mZuzek said:

Yes.

Well dammit. You leave me speechless.

Around the Network

Everyone is done?

Well I better announce my #4 and #1 then.

#4 was Digimon World. For more details see this post: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8512542

My #1 was World of Warcraft.

What can I say, well lots of things. When I was playing WoW, I was playing it more then sleeping. Most people sleep for 1/3 of their lives but I managed to fill more than 1/3 of my life with WoW. In total I played for more then 400 days in playtime. Not a single game has a chance of ever coming close. I made good friends and had some good times with my brother as well. The only reason I quit is because it wasn't fun anymore. Thus this game might have an asterisk, in that this game doesn't even exist anymore. Classic, BC, WoTLK, heck even pvp in some of the other expansions was great fun, but recently it just isn't fun anymore and I don't consider those parts to be a part of my favorite game. I do feel a little bit envious for everyone else who can still play their #1 game, but I am still happy for you :).

mZuzek said:
Wright said:

Well dammit. You leave me speechless.

I know, I'm sorry. I wanted to come up with something but just couldn't.

Well then, guess my second game, c'mon. I challenge you.

This was the hint I provided:

You cannot go forward

in an absence of space.

Wright said:
mZuzek said:

Here's another one for Shadow of the Colossus. Did you know that it originally was called Nico, it was supposed to work as a sequel to Ico, and having a Ico save file on your Memory Card would grant you access to a different ending?

I didn't know that.  That is a cool piece of trivia.  

However I think I played Shadow of Colossus before ICO on PS2, so I'm not sure how useful that save file would have been.  I think a lot of people discovered ICO after Colossus.

Now the top 20 (I wanted to post up to the #1, but accidentally I clicked "submit" instead of "preview" :P)

#20 Super Mario Galaxy 2 - My favorite platformer ever, the level design in this game is just so brilliant, it takes the concept of the first Galaxy game and fleshes it out even more. This game has my favorite Mario power-up, Cloud Mario, which allows for some really creative platforming. I used to complaint about Mario Galaxy 2 not having the observatory like the first game, but when I replayed Mario Galaxy 2 last year, I really liked that I could select the level I wanted to go to without having to walk from one dome to another (like it happens in the observatory).

#19 Kid Icarus: Uprising - I love this game's fast-paced gameplay and how the enemies require different strategies to defeat them, the levels are very well made and I liked both the rail-shooter parts and the on-foot gameplay. The story is really engaging, with some interesting plot twists and I love the dialogues between Pit and the other characters, which made me feel more attached to them (Viridi ftw). The weapon fusion mechanic is incredibly deep and selecting the right weapon is important to beat a level. The visuals are incredible for a 3DS game.

#18 The World Ends With You - One of the most unique j-rpg's I've played and I think it's one of the games that make the best use of the DS touch screen. The game's battle system is very deep and selecting the right pins is important to win a battle. I reeeeally love the game's setting and and I found the story to be really engaging. Another thing that I liked about this game is how Neku grows-up as a person as you advance through the plot and, overall, I liked a lot the characters in the game (particularly, I think Joshua is really cool).

#17 Final Fantasy XII - This game's world is amazing, there's tons of exploration (without the game feeling overwhelmingly open), and each city has its own lore and story. The game is full of details that make the world feel really alive, for example, you can see monsters fighting each other or NPCs battling monsters to defend themselves or to hunt them. I loved the political tone of the story and I found the characters to be awesome, with the exception of Vaan and Penelo who are kinda boring. Particularly, Balthier is my favorite video game character of all time. I found the battle system incredibly engaging, with the Gambit system being one of the deepest customization systems I've seen in a j-rpg.

#16 Kingdom Hearts - The first game in one of my favorite video game franchises of all time, the sense of adventure and mystery that I got from playing this game for the first time was truly something else (though, curiously, it wasn't actually my first KH game :p), I loved visiting the different Disney worlds and I like that there's more room to explore them than in KH2 (many people complaint about the platforming in KH1 but personally I liked it). The game's combat is not as fleshed out as the one in KH2, but I still thought it was really enjoyable. I also like a lot the game's story, mainly because of its simplicity compared to the other games in the series.

#15 The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker - I replayed this game last year and thanks to that in jumped up a lot of positions in my list. Firstly, the game has a really great sense of adventure, maybe the ocean could have been more fleshed out, but it still gives you the feeling that you're in a  grand exploration adventure. Wind Waker just has a lot of charm and I loved the characters, especially Tetra and Medli (though it's a shame that Tetra becomes a damsel in distress after certain event). Also, it got some really nice side-quests, especially in Windfall. Its story it one of my favorites among the Zelda games and it has my favorite incarnation of Ganon.

#14 The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds - I love the freedom that this game gives you to do whatever you want at any time and you can even beat the dungeons in any order like in Zelda 1. ALBW has my favorite overworld from any Zelda game, because of how amazed I was at all the stuff that you can find in it and how well designed it is. The dungeons themselves are relatively short but they are very well designed and I like them more than the ones in ALTTP. I think they did a fantastic job with the wall merging mechanic because of all the interesting puzzles that they made with it.

#13 Tales of the Abyss - My favorite Tales game, I found its story to be incredibly engaging as I always wanted to know what would happen next and I loved the whole concept of the game's world. The characters are kinda divisive among the fanbase, but I like how their relationship evolves during the game: at first, they didn't get along very well, but by the end of the game they are very good friends. Just like in Tales of Symphonia, they nailed the interactions between the characters,  mainly through the skits. Something that I also like a lot about this game is the character development that Luke gets during the story. The battle system is really fun and I loved the addition of the free run mode, as well as the growth system. Also, I think this game's soundtrack is really underrated (+ the theme song is super awesome).

#12 Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep - I love this game's story and how you can see it from the perspective of 3 different characters: Ventus, Aqua and Terra. The characters all play very differently and the combat system is super fun, even though it doesn't feel as fluid as KH2's. In this game, you can select which commands you want to take to battle by customizing your "command deck", instead of having fixed commands in the menu. The command melding is another gameplay mechanic that is incredibly addictive to use and I also like how there's some light platforming in the levels, which makes them feel less plain than KH2's.

#11 Final Fantasy VI - This game has my favorite cast of characters from any j-rpg, all the characters have back-stories that are very well developed and endearing. The main story is full of memorable moments, such as the amazing Opera scene or the Phantom train, among many others; but not only the main story is great: the side-quests are all incredibly memorable and really help to flesh-out the characters. The ATB-based battle system feels very fast paced and fun, and the esper system is a very flexible growth system. 

#10 The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask - One of the most unique Zelda games ever, mainly thanks to its dark atmosphere and its 3-days system, which allows every NPC to have their own routine and thus it helps to make the game's world feel more alive and believable. Majora's Mask shines mainly thanks to its amazing side-quests, which are incredibly memorable and make great use of the game's time system. The mask-based transformations are another mechanic that makes the game unique and widen its gameplay possibilities. Majora's Mask may have less dungeons than the other 3D Zeldas but, overall, they're well designed, with the Stone Tower Temple being one of the most amazing Zelda dungeons ever.

#9 The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - Easily the most divisive 3D Zelda, but one that I really loved. Yes, it has its fair share of problems but to me its highs completely overshadowed those flaws, and honestly most of the flaws didn't really bother me that much (I feel people exaggerate them a lot). Anyway, this game has some of the most amazing and well designed dungeons in the whole series and its puzzles blowed me away many times thanks to how brilliant they are. In particular, the Timeshift Stone based puzzles are the most original and amazing puzzles I've ever seen in any game. The boss battles are great, with Koloktos being one of my favorite bosses in any game ever. I also loved the motion-controlled combat and the items, which don't suffer from being underutilized during the game (like it happens with some of the items in Twilight Princess). Another aspect I love about this game are all the sidequests that you can find in Skyloft, which is one of my favorite towns in Zelda games.

#8 Shadow of the Colossus - Oh man, this game, THIS GAME. SotC has some of the most amazing boss battles I've ever seen in a video game, each colossus is like a puzzle by itself and they're very brilliantly designed. Then there's the amount of feelings I got while battling them, nothing can compare to that. The colossi are intimidating and dangerous, yet for some reason I ended-up feeling bad about killing them (well, with the exception of the colossus 9, screw that thing :p). The game's world is big and open and, while it's mostly empty, it still feels incredibly captivating, like, there's a story that the game's different locations tell you in a very subtle way. The ending is probably my favorite in any video game and it made me cry (like ICO's ending). The soundtrack is so incredibly amazing and I think the visuals are some of the best on the PS2. Fumito Ueda is such a genius.

#7 The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - Another 3D Zelda that is not exactly the most popular (I guess some people will tell me "you have bad taste in Zelda!!" :P) but I absolutely adored it. Firstly, its dungeons are all so incredibly well designed, with places like the City in the Sky and the Snowpeak Ruins being some of the most original Zelda dungeons in terms of concept.  Overall, Twilight Princess is my favorite Zelda game when it comes to the dungeon design. The game also has some of the most awesome and epic boss battles in the series, such as Argorok and Stallord. Regarding the items, this game is one of the best in the series, too. I particularly loved using the spinner and the double clawshot, which is my favorite item in any Zelda game (though lamentably some of the items weren't very used outside the dungeon where you found them). Twilight Princess also has my favorite Zelda character and one of my favorites in any game: Midna. She's is just so awesome and captivating, her whole story arc and development are two of the highlights from the game. 

Edit: sorry if there's too many grammar or spelling errors xD.

Last edited by Keybladewielder - on 02 January 2018

Around the Network
mZuzek said:

Sorry for taking a while to reply, I was too busy listening to this little masterpiece really fucking loud and it was so awesome I couldn't get distracted with anything else! In fact it and Time possibly deserved a #0.5 on this list or something, but well, it's done now.

So, the game you're hinting there... is it something you know I know, or are you just asking me to guess it because seemingly no one else will? I'm thinking about it now and can't really come to anything.

Edit: so to be more specific, sorry for taking a while to reply when I've got nothing.

Can always edit a previous post to accomodate these pieces.

How knowledgeable are you of puzzle games?

mZuzek said:
Wright said:

How knowledgeable are you of puzzle games?

Hm, I figured it'd be a puzzle game. I don't know, I've played Portal 1/2, and... um... well maybe some more stuff I can't remember right now. The Witness, though I really didn't enjoy that one. I recall seeing some friends play one that involved a gun that can absorb/create blocks or something but can't quite remember the name now (keep thinking Transistor but that isn't right). And probably lots of smaller games too. But nah I'm not very knowledgeable.

You're thinking of Antichamber with that description. But it ain't that one either!

I guess the easiest hint I could give you is, if you google the exact quote I provided in the hint, it pretty much tells you the game where it is from.

I was so busy with stuff in November/December I didn't have a chance to participate here, which is a shame because this yearly event is my favorite thing about this site and this community.

My list wasn't dramatically different from previous years anyway. It's getting harder and harder for new games to crack the top 50. That said, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe landed in the top 20 and Breath of the Wild is my new #1 game.

Above all, I want to thank Leadified for hosting and for processing a mountain of data. He's the MVP. Thanks, Blue :D

mZuzek said:

and I've never even heard of that game

Time for you to play it. It's a damn masterpiece.

Just listen to the OST if you're unconvinced.

Now the top 6:

#6 Kingdom Hearts II - This was actually my first Kingdom Hearts and, of course, I was completely lost on the story the first time I played it, it didn't help that my english was even worse than it is now (I'm not a native english speaker and the game didn't have spanish subtitles because it was NTSC-U/C). It wasn't until I replayed the game a few years later that I could really understand what the game's story was about. Anyway, I have a lot of nostalgia for KH2 and visiting the worlds from some of my favorite movies ever completely blowed me away, places like Timeless River and its charming black and white graphics were completely magic experiences for me . I absolutely adore this game's combat system , it's so fast and fluid and it has a lot of depth, with stuff like magic combos and the drive forms. Overall, the game is such a joy to play. The boss battles are amazing and there's a lot of enemy variety. Another aspect that is incredibly improved from KH1 are the Gummi ship sections, which are tons of fun to go through. The game's soundtrack is fantastic and its visuals are ageless. Also, #Justice4Roxas.

#5 The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - My first Zelda game and also my favorite. The game feels so tightly designed and well paced, it evokes an atmosphere of mystery and a sense of being in a grand adventure that I absolutely adore. The child Link dungeons are kinda simple but the adult Link dungeons have some of the most brilliant designs in the series, all of them have very intrincate and well designed layouts and really good puzzles, in particular, the Forest Temple is my favorite dungeon in any Zelda game. The bosses are another aspect where this game really shines, my favorites being Twinrova and the final battle. The story may be simple but it has a lot of charm and memorable moments, as well as great characters. The game is packed with a lot of side-content and its soundtrack is masterful (dat Gerudo Valley music)

#4 Chrono Trigger - This is one of the most epic games I've ever played, the great variety of places that you travel to and the sense of being in a big adventure are aspects of this game that I absolutely love. Its time travel story is incredibly engaging and well written and its cast of characters is easily one of my favorites in any video game. All of the characters in this game have very well developed back stories and endearing personalities. The side-quests are incredibly well made as all of them have a story to tell you, which helps to flesh-out the characters. The game's battle system is incredibly fun, with stuff like double and triple techs adding another layer of depth to the classic ATB system, and I love how there's no transition to a separate battle screen like in other games of its time. The game's soundtrack is so incredibly amazing,  nothing can describe how much I love it, its my favorite soundtrack in any game (tied with another game that I'll mention later).

#3 NieR: Automata - This game's story completely blowed me away like no other video game story had ever done before, it's incredibly well written and completely unpredictable, full of insane plot twists that you would have never seen coming and it touches interesting topics related to existentialism. This game has a lot of memorable moments, some of which made me shed tears of sadness ;_; . Overall, NieR Automata has my favorite story in any video game ever and I'm not sure if anything will ever beat it...well, maybe Yoko Taro's next game. The 3 main characters are all really awesome and, in my opinion, unit YoRHa 9S is the highlight of the game when it comes to writing, though I think A2 and 2B are cooler in terms of personality. The game's sidequests have really interesting mini-stories that always leave you thinking, (spoiler ahead) for example, the side quest related to the infamous YoRHa Type-E... , and the side characters are also really good (Pascal ftw). The game's combat feels incredibly fluid and it's a blast to play, with each character having a different play style. Another thing that I really liked about this game are the bullet hell parts, which are a really nice change of pace. Then there's the music, it's just soooooooo fantastic.

#2 Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King - A game that took the classic J-RPG experience to 3D in such a perfect way, its world is so beautiful, open and well designed, they completely nailed the sense of being in a big travel across a huge world. All of the towns are beautiful and feel really alive, I love that you can enter to almost all the buildings in them. The game's characters are all so awesome and have really amazing back stories that are really charming. The main plot may be relatively simple but it's still engaging and endearing, with really nice mini-stories in each town (a trademark of the Dragon Quest series). The turn-based battle system is very fun and  I love the tension system (which can even make the main character look like a Super Saiyan, btw :P), as well as the skill system. The game also has a lot of compelling and fun side content,  which is one of my favorite parts about it. The art-style is just ageless and the soundtrack is great. Writing this made me want to replay the game :p.

#1 Xenoblade Chronicles - This game's world completely and utterly blowed me away: it's big, compelling, well designed and it always made me want to know what there would be in each area. The variety of environments is mindblowing, all the areas are unique and beautiful, the art direction in them is just fantastic, I still remember the first time I saw the Satorl Marsh at night, that was the moment when I realized that Xenoblade was something special. Then there's the story, it's so incredibly engaging and full of amazing and epic  moments, with  some great plot twists, I love it so much. The characters are all great, I love all of them, they have interesting back stories and very likeable personalities (#Justice4Melia, btw). Then there's the battle system, I find it so incredibly engaging and it's deep without it being too overwhelming, I particularly love how positioning is important to deal more damage. The gameplay sub-systems like gem crafting are also really engaging and fun to use. The soundtrack is just sooooooooooooo incredible and it's favorite in any game, tied with Chrono Trigger.

Well, that's all :)

Edit: I love this thread btw, the top 50 event is one of the main reasons I joined this forum

Last edited by Keybladewielder - on 02 January 2018