By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Do you support the death penalty?

What about you?

Yes 119 36.73%

No 128 39.51%

I have to explain (please make a post) 11 3.40%

No, and I also oppose corporal punishment 38 11.73%

See results 28 8.64%

Total:324

Well, I was presented a thread on ResetEra that asked this exact question, so I decided to ask you guys here!! I am opposed to the death penalty myself. Actually, I'd go further than that, and even say that I'm against corporal punishment. Violence should be used as defense or to end a threat, not as punishment after the fact.

Around the Network

No
Because I believe life in prison with no chance of getting out is a worse punishment.

No. To start, there are many practical problems with the death penalty in countries that implement it (partial justice, wrongful execution leading to painful deaths, evidence after the fact that should by all right change the sentence, etc...). From a moral point of view, the state can take away many freedoms justly, but taking away someone's life goes a lot of steps too far.

I can understand why some people support death penalty, but I think there are 2 big issues with it:

• If someone turns out to be innocent, you can't undo the penalty.
  • Apparently it's fucking expensive.

Edit: some more stuff.

• It's often very painful.
  • It doesn't undo the crime, so it's pretty useless.
    - Relatives of the victims don't get satisfied by the death penalty, and they often feel very uneasy about it afterwards.
    - It doesn't help lowering crime numbers in the country.
    - Community service would be a better punishment, this way they can still contribute to society.
  • Discrimination (mostly racism) is a serious issue.
Last edited by Flilix - on 05 November 2017

No. I don't think it's anyone's right to take another person's life. There are cases where I really have to think about my stance more, but ultimately I don't support death penalty.

Around the Network

No, but in multiple/mass murder cases, yes. I think some people are just broken and it's an act of mercy to end it for them and for the rest of us.

The proof has to be overwhelming aswell. 

Depends. On one hand it makes it to where we aren't paying for them to live there on the other -it's a worse punishment to remain in prison forever, preferrably solitary confinment in total darkness. Soo... idk. Depends on the crime and person

Ka-pi96 said:
And for those that will no doubt claim "it costs more to kill someone than to feed, clothe and house them for life"... bullshit!

https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/costs-death-penalty

Flilix said:
Ka-pi96 said:
And for those that will no doubt claim "it costs more to kill someone than to feed, clothe and house them for life"... bullshit!

https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/costs-death-penalty

seeking the death penalty in Oklahoma "incurs significantly more time, effort, and costs on average, as compared to when the death penalty is not sought in first degree murder cases." The report—prepared by Seattle University criminal justice professors Peter A. Collins and Matthew J. Hickman and law professor Robert C. Boruchowitz, with research support by Alexa D. O’Brien—determined that, on average, Oklahoma capital cases cost 3.2 times more than non-capital cases.

Capital cases trials are more expensive, not the act of execution.

I support death penalty but not how it's currently done in western countries. This "humane" way of doing it is complete bullshit and wastes a lot of time and money. Why are people held in death row for so long? Why does it have to be a method that is unnecessarily complex and requires expensive materials and devices? It's bullshit. There are enough dangerous subjects and keeping them alive is absolutely disgusting and insulting to the victims. Off them and the world will thank you. As soon as the crime is clear, the suspect shows no remorse just put a bullet through his head and be done with it.

Of course this also requires an actual justice system and not for example whatever is present in countries like the US.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.