By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Do you support the death penalty?

What about you?

Yes 119 36.73%

No 128 39.51%

I have to explain (please make a post) 11 3.40%

No, and I also oppose corporal punishment 38 11.73%

See results 28 8.64%

Total:324
monocle_layton said:
Not with the current method. Holding people on death row for years and wasting money (and time) is something I'm not interested in.

I'm all for it when it comes to mass murderers or people who have caused absurd amounts of damage. The only issue I have however is the fact that it can and will be abused.

Also, what's the line between prison and death? 1 murder, 2, 5, 10, 100...? And how would we set the criteria for who deserves it?

A simple yes or no should never be given in such a topic honestly. It's a lot more complicated than people think.

The most important thing is that there is a line. And even if it's not a clear line there are many cases where everyone can agree that it was overstepped. And for such individuals the death penalty is for.

Of course there are many variables that have to be taken into account, like method, circumstance, the perpetrator's level of remorse, etc. If we look into prisons world wide today we will find a lot of individuals who tick all of the boxes easily.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Or hang them. A piece of rope is cheaper than a bullet. Reusable too! And biodegradable!

We're talking about human lives here, but the way you're talking about it it's like they're just clothes.

Clothes aren't a burden to society.

Ka-pi96 said:
vivster said:
I support death penalty but not how it's currently done in western countries. This "humane" way of doing it is complete bullshit and wastes a lot of time and money. Why are people held in death row for so long? Why does it have to be a method that is unnecessarily complex and requires expensive materials and devices? It's bullshit. There are enough dangerous subjects and keeping them alive is absolutely disgusting and insulting to the victims. Off them and the world will thank you. As soon as the crime is clear, the suspect shows no remorse just put a bullet through his head and be done with it.

Of course this also requires an actual justice system and not for example whatever is present in countries like the US.

Or hang them. A piece of rope is cheaper than a bullet. Reusable too! And biodegradable!

Damn, you're eco-friendly as well. You truly care about the environment

vivster said:
VGPolyglot said:

We're talking about human lives here, but the way you're talking about it it's like they're just clothes.

Nope. Clothes are useful and benefit society.

People can be reformed too.

numberwang said:
Smartie900 said:

Surprisingly, the death penalty costs more than life in prison. I supported the death penalty until I found out that statistic. Now I just view it as pointless.

https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/costs-death-penalty

Read the study, capital court cases cost more than non-capital court cases. Nothing to do with the cost of execution vs life in prison.

If you are only accounting for the cost of a lethal injection, then the actual cost of the execution would be around $85 - $200. Capital court cases cost more due to legalities you have to surpass in order to get through with the execution. Ultimately, enforcing the death penalty is going to cost more... since you can't exclude legal fees that account for more professional juries, lawyers, and court hearings. Those are essential parts in enforcing the death penalty.

VGPolyglot said:
vivster said:

Nope. Clothes are useful and benefit society.

Some can't and some don't want to. We don't need those.

Also what makes you think they deserve second chances? Their victims certainly didn't have a second chance.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
vivster said:
VGPolyglot said:

Also what makes you think they deserve second chances? Their victims certainly didn't have a second chance.

It's not about desering second chances, it's if they are able to contribute to society, they have a use and it would be a waste to eliminate them.

Yes. Only in cases for mass murders. But if its more expensive than no. It be nice to clear out some prisons because they just wasting space in all honestly. But id hate to find out people were killed that were innocent. It have to be a repeat offense etc.

VGPolyglot said:
vivster said:

It's not about desering second chances, it's if they are able to contribute to society, they have a use and it would be a waste to eliminate them.

What a nice and easy thing to say. Tell that into the victim's face while their life slowly drains out of their eyes while they're being strangled to death.

But oh please tell me what kind of use those people have in society except for burning life, energy and money of other people. Why not embrace life and instead of supporting harmful subjects. Support newborns with money for education so that they don't grow up to be murderers. Oh no wait, that can't happen. That would mean we'd lose all of those precious mass murderers that do so much for society.

Ka-pi96 said:
VGPolyglot said:

Would it really be a waste? Less people means less unemployment, less land used up for houses or other buildings, less waste being produced and taking up land with landfills & less pollution. Sounds like it's a bigger waste to keep them alive...

Killing criminals to reduce unemployment and waste sounds like some pretty extreme measures given how little the death penalty is actually used it practically makes no difference in those terms.

It's kind of like telling an AI to remove the internet of spam so it decided to kill all the people, no people = no spam.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Ka-pi96 said:
Harkins1721 said:
Yes. Only in cases for mass murders. But if its more expensive than no. It be nice to clear out some prisons because they just wasting space in all honestly. But id hate to find out people were killed that were innocent. It have to be a repeat offense etc.

Isn't that kind of contradictory? Unless you're suggesting letting mass murderers go the first time and only executing them if they do a second mass murder?

Well, think Ka-Pi! If you don't let them go the first time, how will they have their chance to be useful to society?

You know, right after they did their irreparable damage to society.