By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Do you support the death penalty?

What about you?

Yes 119 36.73%

No 128 39.51%

I have to explain (please make a post) 11 3.40%

No, and I also oppose corporal punishment 38 11.73%

See results 28 8.64%

Total:324
numberwang said:
Flilix said:

https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/costs-death-penalty

seeking the death penalty in Oklahoma "incurs significantly more time, effort, and costs on average, as compared to when the death penalty is not sought in first degree murder cases." The report—prepared by Seattle University criminal justice professors Peter A. Collins and Matthew J. Hickman and law professor Robert C. Boruchowitz, with research support by Alexa D. O’Brien—determined that, on average, Oklahoma capital cases cost 3.2 times more than non-capital cases.

Capital cases trials are more expensive, not the act of execution.

Numerous mistakes happen in these trials. If less money was spent on them, it would be even worse.

Around the Network
StarOcean said:
Depends. On one hand it makes it to where we aren't paying for them to live there on the other -it's a worse punishment to remain in prison forever, preferrably solitary confinment in total darkness. Soo... idk. Depends on the crime and person

Surprisingly, the death penalty costs more than life in prison. I supported the death penalty until I found out that statistic. Now I just view it as pointless.

Ka-pi96 said:
vivster said:
I support death penalty but not how it's currently done in western countries. This "humane" way of doing it is complete bullshit and wastes a lot of time and money. Why are people held in death row for so long? Why does it have to be a method that is unnecessarily complex and requires expensive materials and devices? It's bullshit. There are enough dangerous subjects and keeping them alive is absolutely disgusting and insulting to the victims. Off them and the world will thank you. As soon as the crime is clear, the suspect shows no remorse just put a bullet through his head and be done with it.

Of course this also requires an actual justice system and not for example whatever is present in countries like the US.

Or hang them. A piece of rope is cheaper than a bullet. Reusable too! And biodegradable!

We're talking about human lives here, but the way you're talking about it it's like they're just clothes.

VGPolyglot said:

Actually, I'd go further than that, and even say that I'm against corporal punishment.

Further? Are there more people who support corporal punishment than people who support death penalty?

Flilix said:
VGPolyglot said:

Actually, I'd go further than that, and even say that I'm against corporal punishment.

Further? Are there more people who support corporal punishment than people who support death penalty?

Well, I guess it shows that I'm not just opposing it based on grounds of potentially innocent people getting convicted, I'm opposing it based on ethical/humane reasons as well.

Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:

Well, I was presented a thread on ResetEra that asked this exact question, so I decided to ask you guys here!! I am opposed to the death penalty myself. Actually, I'd go further than that, and even say that I'm against corporal punishment. Violence should be used as defense or to end a threat, not as punishment after the fact.

You go to ResetEra? Eewww.

Anyway, I'm against. For one simple reason: Too many innocent people get wrongfully convicted and put to death. That said, death is fast and easy for some types. Better let them rot.

Smartie900 said:
StarOcean said:
Depends. On one hand it makes it to where we aren't paying for them to live there on the other -it's a worse punishment to remain in prison forever, preferrably solitary confinment in total darkness. Soo... idk. Depends on the crime and person

Surprisingly, the death penalty costs more than life in prison. I supported the death penalty until I found out that statistic. Now I just view it as pointless.

Read the study, capital court cases cost more than non-capital court cases. Nothing to do with the cost of execution vs life in prison.

No. The death penalty is barbaric and has no place in a modern civilisation.

Not with the current method. Holding people on death row for years and wasting money (and time) is something I'm not interested in.

I'm all for it when it comes to mass murderers or people who have caused absurd amounts of damage. The only issue I have however is the fact that it can and will be abused.

Also, what's the line between prison and death? 1 murder, 2, 5, 10, 100...? And how would we set the criteria for who deserves it?

A simple yes or no should never be given in such a topic honestly. It's a lot more complicated than people think.

VGPolyglot said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Or hang them. A piece of rope is cheaper than a bullet. Reusable too! And biodegradable!

We're talking about human lives here, but the way you're talking about it it's like they're just clothes.

Nope. Clothes are useful and benefit society.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.