By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Report: Japanese Third Parties Unconvinced Of The Switch Are Now Scrambling

The Wall Street Journal, in their reporting on Nintendo's recent financial report that released today, talked to Hirozaku Hamamura, chief executive of Japanese game-magazine publisher Gzbrain (which owns magazines like Famitsu). Hamamura, who is known equally for both extensive insider knowledge about the Japanese gaming industry and his loose lips about the same Japanese gaming industry, told WSJ that big games were coming to Switch much later because third parties were surprised by its success.

Specifically, Hamamura says that a lot of heavy hitters one would expect to come to Switch won't be there until 2019, due to the prolonged nature of game development and the dawning realization that the system was not going to be another Wii U over the last seven months.

One third party who got on board quickly with the Switch, Koei Tecmo, struck a somewhat boastful tone last week during a press conference. From the WSJ article:

“We bet big on the Switch as a game changer so we began making games before the Switch’s launch, but many software companies showed reluctance in releasing Switch games before they witnessed the current success,” said Yoichi Erikawa, chief executive at Koei Tecmo.

Source if you want to read more.

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

Around the Network

Looks like Japanese developers were not expecting the Switch to be a huge hit. The report say that Japanese developers will start having more games on it in 2019. So for now we will have to deal with ports and such. I wonder if 2018 will have anything big that we do not know about.

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

Well, that was beyond evident given that few japanese came for it, save the exclusive projects, in 2017.I mean, Capcom is a prime example of that with MH World, though you could say that its simply Capcom being Capcom.

And well, thats also an unfortunate news, since I would like to play many japanese games on my Switch.Well, hopefully they get those developers back to work and being incentivized with a whip, because I want those games as soon as possible!

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Thinking more about it, how out of touch can japanese developers be?Switch is a hybrid, so that means its part handheld, and Nintendo handhelds have always been successful in Japan.It may not have been DS or 3DS numbers, but it would hav been successful in Japan.How the hell they didnt see that?

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

Nautilus said:
Well, that was beyond evident given that few japanese came for it, save the exclusive projects, in 2017.I mean, Capcom is a prime example of that with MH World, though you could say that its simply Capcom being Capcom.

And well, thats also an unfortunate news, since I would like to play many japanese games on my Switch.Well, hopefully they get those developers back to work and being incentivized with a whip, because I want those games as soon as possible!

MH World started development before the Switch was a thing.

MH XX tho? They ported it to the Switch, but released it 3 months after launch? When it could have been a launch title? That's Capcom.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Around the Network

Clearly they were listening to youtube analysis videos about hydrid consoles before March.

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

Why didn't they have second thoughts about the PS4 after Sony blew it with the PS3?(at least initially) They even supported the Dreamcast at launch.

Something smells. I don't think these developers hate Nintendo, they're jealous.

I remember back in 2007 Hirai in an interview said something like: "we can't let Nintendo run with the market". Basically confirming right there it's conspiratory in the way it was worded and the question.

But here's the thing: when Nintendo does well, the industry does well because they bring a lot of people in. These developers have to make their minds and bury their resentment once and for all.

Yamauchi is DEAD. WTF are they holding a grudge for? Stupid.

Last edited by Azelover - on 04 November 2017

Slarvax said:
Nautilus said:

MH World started development before the Switch was a thing.

MH XX tho? They ported it to the Switch, but released it 3 months after launch? When it could have been a launch title? That's Capcom.

But Capcom was in touch with Nintendo regarding the Switch for years.They even were the ones that requested the increase in the memory(from 2G to 4G).

So if Capcom wanted, they could have easily have made a port for MH World on the Switch.Given that the MH fanbase is on handhelds, it would be a garanteed success.They just didnt because they are Capcom.

Nautilus said:
Thinking more about it, how out of touch can japanese developers be?Switch is a hybrid, so that means its part handheld, and Nintendo handhelds have always been successful in Japan.It may not have been DS or 3DS numbers, but it would hav been successful in Japan.How the hell they didnt see that?

They read all the doom threads on the internet.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

It's harsh to other Japanese developers to use an image of a Capcom game as a representation of this topic. Capcom can't just be considered slow, but also incompetent and... weird.