By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Report: Japanese Third Parties Unconvinced Of The Switch Are Now Scrambling

It's sad for those who didn't plan, great for those that did. Good on Koei Tecmo for not doubting the company that made them who they are. That's the thing a lot of these companies who exist on Nintendo's upbringing don't trust the company enough to have something planned for it. Sure, Wii U was a scary time for developers but the situation that the Wii U was in directly inverse to that of Switch. New leader, new and strong idea, Zelda at launch, Mario 7 months later (both genre defining games) and it's a handheld and is being used mostly as a handheld. The warning signs were right in their faces. And while Indies are making a good profit on Switch, it's the huge 3rd parties that are missing out on sales, who would have thought.

The switch is going to be another great era of Nintendo so Japanese 3rd parties in particular should support the Switch in any way they can. Especially since Nintendo has a stranglehold in Japan. Seeing that I believe the Switch will be around for 10 years, Japanese developers should have time to put their all into developing crafted games for Switch, I hope they take advantage of it because who knows where Nintendo might go after the Switch. This thing has crazy potential, and Nintendo is just getting started in terms of software. Hopefully this was a wake up call to those who didn't make plans.

Around the Network

They aren't the only ones. I think 3rd parties in general.

If Animal Crossing and Pokemon comes out before then. Expect the user base to be really high

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Western developers being hesitant about Nintendo is understandable. Japanese developers though? Inexcusable. Even the Wii U sold well in Japan. A Nintendo console with portability is a slam dunk in Japan. That's not hindsight either, it was obvious to anyone. Even the most ardent Switch detractors thought it would do well in Japan.

Hopefully Nintendo can double down on their own efforts and get Pokemon and Metroid Prime 4 in the 2018 lineup. 

Around the Network

Easy to call out third party devs after the facts.

Darc Requiem said:
Western developers being hesitant about Nintendo is understandable. Japanese developers though? Inexcusable. Even the Wii U sold well in Japan. A Nintendo console with portability is a slam dunk in Japan. That's not hindsight either, it was obvious to anyone. Even the most ardent Switch detractors thought it would do well in Japan.

Weak argument. Most big Japanese publishers don't sell only in Japan.  They're not counting on recouping the cost of development by selling in only one market.

This is strange. Square-Enix was on board from the beginning. So was Atlus. Even Konami jumped on the Switch bandwagon and they don't even like consoles anymore. I'm really surprised that Capcom dropped the ball. They helped Nintendo develop the Switch. They wanted to make sure the Switch could run the RE Engine. I'm guessing Japanese developers were waiting to see if the Switch was a worthy 3DS successor which western developers wanted to make sure the Switch wasn't another Wii U.

Check out my art blog: http://jon-erich-art.blogspot.com

Ljink96 said:
It's sad for those who didn't plan, great for those that did. Good on Koei Tecmo for not doubting the company that made them who they are. That's the thing a lot of these companies who exist on Nintendo's upbringing don't trust the company enough to have something planned for it. Sure, Wii U was a scary time for developers but the situation that the Wii U was in directly inverse to that of Switch. New leader, new and strong idea, Zelda at launch, Mario 7 months later (both genre defining games) and it's a handheld and is being used mostly as a handheld. The warning signs were right in their faces. And while Indies are making a good profit on Switch, it's the huge 3rd parties that are missing out on sales, who would have thought.

The switch is going to be another great era of Nintendo so Japanese 3rd parties in particular should support the Switch in any way they can. Especially since Nintendo has a stranglehold in Japan. Seeing that I believe the Switch will be around for 10 years, Japanese developers should have time to put their all into developing crafted games for Switch, I hope they take advantage of it because who knows where Nintendo might go after the Switch. This thing has crazy potential, and Nintendo is just getting started in terms of software. Hopefully this

this post is basically what I wanted to say. Koei Tecmo and SE will enjoy the fruit of their wise decision from the start, and others such as Capcom are missing out, at least for now.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Jon-Erich said:
This is strange. Square-Enix was on board from the beginning. So was Atlus. Even Konami jumped on the Switch bandwagon and they don't even like consoles anymore. 

"x" developer was [able to create or port a 2d perspective game that required minimal resources for switch] on board from the beginning.

Muda Muda Muda Muda Muda Muda!!!!