By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Physical version of LA Noire on Switch require a 14GB download

cycycychris said:
Ok guys, I read some from people talking about how much the carts cost. I gathered from what 'industry insiders' have said on resetera about the price for devs to buy these carts from Nintendo

according one source 8GB cards are $8, and 32GB carts are about $16.

According to ZhugeEX 8GB cards are around $10, about the same price as PS4/XB1 discs. A 32GB cart is around $20.

To use a 16GB cart, sounds like your looking at like $2 or $3 more than a 8GB cart

So I can understand why there not using the 32 GB based on this, at the same time, there making more profit off the switch version :/

I think it's very hard to believe PS4/X1 discs cost 10 USD, here are BD movies that cost like that.

Because the media itself cost less than 50 cents a piece.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
cycycychris said:
DonFerrari said:

I think it's very hard to believe PS4/X1 discs cost 10 USD, here are BD movies that cost like that.

Because the media itself cost less than 50 cents a piece.

LOL, Sony and microsoft don't sell there very own disk to devs at costs. This is business not fairness.

As far as I know the need to buy the media from the platform holder was only happening in Nintendo up to the N64 (and caused the issues on the support of Nintendo by 3rd parties).

What you are saying is royalties (Sony as far as I know doesn't sell the discs to 3rd parties or publishers, they collect royalties on what is sold... and Nintendo probably have the same royalties). So the difference in cost of the media is what differentiate then.

Do Zughex have any source for the claim that Sony and MS sell their discs for 10 USD and demand publishers use it?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Too bad, this means the physical version with the beautiful boxart won‘t sell very well.

I for one will buy the digital version though.

Thechalkblock said:
irstupid said:

Enjoy your loot boxes and micros. It's that attitude that we shoudl be "grateful" that they are giving us their game that lets them walk all over you.

Why should we be grateful to a company that is charging us $10 extra dollars for a game for the sole reason that it costs more to be on cartridges. And then for that very said game not be on the larger cartridge that woudl allow it to not need a download at all.

Wouldn't it be great if Pizza places did this. Charge you $10 for delivery and then only deliver it halfway to your house. YOu have to go out and pick it up there.

this isn't about loot boxes or micros. this is about thinking you don't need a microsd for your nintendo switch.

if you're planning on buying nintendo only games, then of course you probably won't need a microsd (for some time anyway).

if you're planning on buying third party games, then i think it's pretty clear at this point that it's a necessity.

this is a matter of storage, not micro transactions. also, it only really effects those who are still set on buying physical versions of games: either as collectors of physical media or as people who are still trying to avoid upgrading their internal storage.

rockstar isn't forcing you to buy the game right when it comes out. if you don't like the price point, then wait until it's cheaper and buy it then. at least it's nice to have the option to pick the game up down the line when it's more affordable, yeah?

maybe "greatful" is the wrong word. maybe i should use a different word that doesn't sound like i care as much. either way, i'm happy that eventually i can pick this game up for switch. 

This line of thinking is why publishers now have devs make a game, cut out big chunks of it, sell consumers most of the game for full price, then sell them the rest of the game as DLC. This line of thinking is what gave AAA publishers the balls to make online passes nearly an acceptable practice in the middle of the PS360 gen. This line of thinking is how M$ made a console that first required a spycam constantly watching your every movement like HAL 9000 and almost made that same console require a constant online connection, on top of mandatory installs for game discs that couldn't be shared across units.

Not a single person is saying that they don't need a MicroSD card for the Switch. Needing extra memory is a standard, accepted and expected cost of gaming. The consistent message in here is that we shouldn't need to download about half the freaking game after buying the game card. It ruins the entire point of buying physical in the first place. And if we're going to be buying half of the game on a card, why is there an extra tax on the Switch version that isn't going toward a higher capacity card? It's pure price gouging with no explanation.

"Perhaps the cost is because of the extra work going into porting to the Switch since its never been on a Nintendo console before."

Then that same cost should apply to the PS4 and X1 versions. All current consoles are using much different architecture than the consoles they've succeeded. You could say that the PS4/X1 versions are simpler ports because they fall in line with the PC version, but then you'd have to ask yourself why no other publisher is charging an extra $10 for their Switch port, AAA or otherwise. Again, pure price gouging.