By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Physical version of LA Noire on Switch require a 14GB download

Shiken said:

This is just dirty on Rockstar's part. I can understand a partial download. We should expect that as far as third parties go, buying physical just means that you can use less SD card space to play the game.

I can even understand why bigger games may cost 10 bucks more for a physical copy due to higher capacity cards. Fine, I can deal with that as long as digital remains the same price as the other platforms.

What is unacceptable though is using a smaller card (32 gig can fit this game) and STILL requiring a partial download/install and STILL charging 10 more for physical despite using the cheaper cards anyway. This is UNACCEPTABLE! If you want to charge ten more, use the correctly sized cart!

I had no plans for buying this game as I already beat it on PS3, so the mystery aspect has already been spoiled for me. If I were to buy it though, I would go digital as eventually getting an SD card for 3rd party games will pay for itself down the line. I would show RS that I support their games on Switch, but not support their physical release strategy until they do it right (either partial install same price as competing platforms or use a bigger cart).

Like I said however, I have no plans to buy this game anyway. I just hope those that do go digital so they can feel the sting of their poor physical release strategy.

Except they want more people to buy digital because it results in more profit for them.

The only thing you'd be teaching them is that they can get away with stiffing  physical buyers, and eventually turn more people towards digital which requires less effort and cost on their part.

Around the Network
Shaunodon said:
Shiken said:

This is just dirty on Rockstar's part. I can understand a partial download. We should expect that as far as third parties go, buying physical just means that you can use less SD card space to play the game.

I can even understand why bigger games may cost 10 bucks more for a physical copy due to higher capacity cards. Fine, I can deal with that as long as digital remains the same price as the other platforms.

What is unacceptable though is using a smaller card (32 gig can fit this game) and STILL requiring a partial download/install and STILL charging 10 more for physical despite using the cheaper cards anyway. This is UNACCEPTABLE! If you want to charge ten more, use the correctly sized cart!

I had no plans for buying this game as I already beat it on PS3, so the mystery aspect has already been spoiled for me. If I were to buy it though, I would go digital as eventually getting an SD card for 3rd party games will pay for itself down the line. I would show RS that I support their games on Switch, but not support their physical release strategy until they do it right (either partial install same price as competing platforms or use a bigger cart).

Like I said however, I have no plans to buy this game anyway. I just hope those that do go digital so they can feel the sting of their poor physical release strategy.

Except they want more people to buy digital because it results in more profit for them.

The only thing you'd be teaching them is that they can get away with stiffing  physical buyers, and eventually turn more people towards digital which requires less effort and cost on their part.

Then they can make all of Rockstar's games digital for all I care.  Those who really want it will get it, and those who don't support digital will pass for something else.

Going all digital is going to impact their sales, make no mistake.  Many people still go to stores and buy on impulse what they see on the shelves if priced correctly.  What this would do is lower their sales potential, but make the money back from the extra profit from digital (ensuring that it still remains worth it to release on Switch anyway).

However if they want to maximize their profit and sales potential, they should either charge 10 bucks more to release it on a cart big enough for the entire game (in this case 32 gig) or charge the same price as everywhere else and use a smaller cart (so those who want physical can benefit from the lower amount of required install space).

It is either one or the other, or they will be shooting themselves in the foot.  They are trying to have their cake and eat it too and unless we show them what we want, that is what they will do.

However we cannot just straight up boycott the game either IF you care about their content on Switch as they may not release them at all in that case.  The analogy works both ways and as long as the games still come to Switch, I will at least buy digital unless the situation for physical is rectified (assuming they do not go digital only, which is still better than nothing).

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

KLXVER said:
FragileSurface said:
If I get a switch, it definitely will not be until they release another version with much more internal memory. They should have known better.

Just buy a big SD card. I mean the price of a Switch with a huge memory would probably be more expensive anyway...

Its a extra 130-149$ for a 256GB card.

Suddenly the Switch goes from being a 349$ (on amazon) console to being a 500$ console (w/ 256gb sd card).

Nintendo should force Developers to not do this BS, either go with a big enough cartidge or dont allow them to release games for the switch.

This Black friday you ll be able to get a 1TB PS4 slim for 190$.

La Noire runs better/looks prettier, costs less to buy on the PS4.

Nintendo need to "nip this in the bud" so in the future you dont see this issue pop up anymore.

RolStoppable said:
JRPGfan said:

Nintendo should force Developers to not do this BS

It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario for Nintendo. These are their two choices:

1. Be liberal in what you allow and have issues such as this pop up.
2. Disallow such practices and lose out on AAA third party support.

Things could only change if the attitude of AAA third parties changed, but they sure aren't going to do that  *they arnt going to change, Nintendo has to make them. Them not doing so, is just enableing them to abuse nintendo owners.

I think its more of a damned if dont, sort of deal.

I would rather Nintendo say that this isnt acceptable and not allow publishers to do this.

Its hurting their image, and it makes that low 32 GB internal disk space of their unit look really bad.

Shaunodon said:
zippy said:

unfortunately modern, ambitious 3rd party games require more and more space these days, and Sony/Microsoft compensate for this by including sufficient internal storage. I will be getting LA Noir for my Switch, as well as any other multiplat that interests me due to portability, however being able to play them will now require me to purchase a micro SD card. Not a massive issue, but another cost I believe could have been avoided, its not entirely the fault of he third parties and I can see why as a business they will go for the cheaper card option when they are not guaranteed big sales. This is a scenario where, because these games will require external space to play them it will hamper sales and low sales will make third parties chose a cheaper option and thus the cycle continues. Sufficient internal storage would have gone some way to bridge that gap in my opinion.

This sentence doesn't make sense. The only reason it requires external space is because they chose the cheaper cartridge in the first place; if they wanted to see the true sales potential, they could have put the whole game on a 32GB cart and eaten the cost (they're already charging $10(US) extra anyway).

This! why charge 10 bucks extra and then not deliver with a bigger cartridge.

Around the Network
Bandorr said:
Nintendo designs their games in mind when they designed their console. And only their games.

Seems pretty clear Nintendo didn't/doesn't have third party publishers in mind. They are forcing the extra "burden" onto them.

Along the lines of "if they want in, they will solve their own problems".

So how much memory do you suggest for a portable machine at an affordable price?

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

If it is a better version than what was on PS360 it is normal that it uses more space than what we had over there.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

KLXVER said:
KBG29 said:
Time to go digital.

No one in the industry is fighting for physical anymore. Nintendo has to let this happen, they can not afford to loose 3rd party support. Microsoft and Sony have no problem blowing past Blu-rays limits, and PC is basically all digital.

The publishers are going to continue to push until the physical version is nothing more than a download key. Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo grab the retail cut on sales from thier digital store front, so they have huge insentive to move people to digital.

Honestly at the end of the day they are trying to do people a favor by massively increasing the value, versatility, and reliability of their game library, while also adding a bit more to their bottom line in the process. I went all digital nearly a decade ago, and had the oppertunity to play my games across PSP, PS Vita, PS3, and PS4 in some cases. I know some people will never be sold, but it is inevitable.

Maybe. I just feel sorry for the one that goes all digital first. Its going to fail. Be it Nintendo, Sony or MS.

PSP Go already gone there and failed... but there will be a time when it'll be totally acceptable by the masses.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:
KLXVER said:

Maybe. I just feel sorry for the one that goes all digital first. Its going to fail. Be it Nintendo, Sony or MS.

PSP Go already gone there and failed... but there will be a time when it'll be totally acceptable by the masses.

In the way future, sure. Humans are material beings. Some more than others, but people like to own what they buy. I mean CDs and LPs are still around FFS.

Funny to see so many people demanding higher size carts but shunning Nintendo making higher size HDD.
So we want all games to have higher size carts and cost isn't a problem, but Nintendo putting more HDD space is preposterous because it will cost more.