By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Physical version of LA Noire on Switch require a 14GB download

RolStoppable said:
DonFerrari said:

No hypocrisy on saying if we are ok with asking 3rd parties to release on higher cartridges even if it will cost more then no problem with Nintendo releasing higher memory for Switch even if costing then more.

And I don't remember the last time a phisical game I bought in PS4 didn't need an install and download. I certainly don't like it, but if PS4 didn't had enough memory for even one or two games installed then it would be a big issue.

But Nintendo doesn't need to release a Switch SKU with more storage if all physical games are true physical games. We are looking at cases where third parties are verifiably messing up and you somehow use this to put the blame on Nintendo.

As for the production costs of cards, ZhugeEX made it known that an 8GB card is equal to a Blu-ray for third party publishers. There are no huge costs involved with Switch game cards. Third parties could use 32GB cards, charge $10 extra and make some extra profit because 32GB don't cost $10 more than 8GB. In the case of L.A. Noire, the publisher is charging $10 extra despite not even using a 32GB card.

If you are going to play only phisical and do no patches and DLC sure there is little use for the internal HDD, but how many players are going to keep at that?

equal to a Blu-ray in what sense? Sure both Nintendo and Sony charge royalties that are probably similar. But I don't see any reason for a 8GB to cost pennies like the BD cost. Now if the game should be launched on 32GB, I'm certainly in favor of that, but not sure if the profit would be the same just with the extra 10 USD. And certainly Nintendo could have talked to them to make viable a 32GB version for the 70USD, either by showing the obvious difference in cost is enough to cover for it, or diminishing their royalty fee a little to keep the same profit.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

Yeah, that makes me pretty salty. Between this and "Doom", those downloads will take up 1/3rd of my 64 GB SD card -- and that's "buying physical." I will give Rockstar a pass on this first one, as I want to see "Red Dead" and "GTA" on the Switch, but I'm not happy about downloading that big of a file when I'm buying the hard copy. Partial installs are one of the things I like least about the PS4.

What really makes matters worse is that all of these games that require download are also under 32GB - meaning they would fit on a single cart... And we're paying more for the Switch version in several cases (which I initially assumed was to pay for the larger storage costs of using the 32GB Switch cart).

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

RolStoppable said:

As for the production costs of cards, ZhugeEX made it known that an 8GB card is equal to a Blu-ray for third party publishers. There are no huge costs involved with Switch game cards. Third parties could use 32GB cards, charge $10 extra and make some extra profit because 32GB don't cost $10 more than 8GB. In the case of L.A. Noire, the publisher is charging $10 extra despite not even using a 32GB card.

This. This. And This.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

DonFerrari said:
RolStoppable said:

What did I say about the expectation that a physical version of a game should be a physical version? It's reasonable. And because of that, the fault and blame rests entirely on the shoulders of third parties, because it's an irrefutable fact that physical versions are possible.

You constantly try to point out hypocritical and unreasonable behavior of other people, but you are slowly turning into the worst culprit of all of them.

No hypocrisy on saying if we are ok with asking 3rd parties to release on higher cartridges even if it will cost more then no problem with Nintendo releasing higher memory for Switch even if costing then more.

And I don't remember the last time a phisical game I bought in PS4 didn't need an install and download. I certainly don't like it, but if PS4 didn't had enough memory for even one or two games installed then it would be a big issue.

irstupid said:

And that is the attitude that lead us to these giant madatory installs and microtransactions.

It's not an unreasonable demand when the company is charging $10 more for their game on the Switch than on other consoles saying it's due to the cartridges costing more. The price difference between the smallest cartridge and the 32 gb cartridge is not more than $10, so if we are forced to pay and extra $10 then why is the game not on the biggest cartridge?

If cartridge costs are why the thing is $10 more, then why is digital not $10 less than physical? Rockstar is flat out ripping off Switch owners with teh pricing. They are using the cartridge as an excuse to price gouge some extra money. I have no issue with them charging $10 more for teh game due to cartridge costs, but when they use a smaller cartridge, then it is bullshit.

A cartridge will already cost you more than a disc. So a penny for the disc versus 10 USD for the disc is already standard for the publisher to make the same per unit on both formats. The 32GB card would have to cost even more. So you would either ask they to profit less or charge more, both of which I suspect one of the two involved parties wouldn't like. You aren't forced, you can buy or not. And Nintendo choose the form to store the games. I know some wanted even Sony to go for 100GB cartridges for PS5, they would also certainly complain of games costing 80 USD or more.

The digital isn't less than the phisical for the same reason why they aren't on PS4 and X1, because that would make the retail stores pissed.

You said yourself, the difference between the 32 to 16 is 10 USD, but since the 16 doesn't cost 0, then it would need 10 extra charged.

I did not say that. I said I DOUBT the difference between the 8gb and 32 is $10.

Let us say that the game costs X amount to make on a CD.

An 8gb card lets say adds $2.50 over the costs of that CD to produce per unit

a 16gb card add $5.00 to the cost of the game.

A 32gb card add $7.50 to the cost of the game.

Now my numbers are rediculously high. THere is no way the extra costs are even remotely close to my bloated numbers. But even in this situation, they are charging us, the consumer, an extra $10.00 for what is an extra $5.00 expense to them. They are tryign to make a profit on just the medium over the actual games price. We are getting upcharged.

Their reasoning for incnreasing price was said to be cartridge costs right? Then shouldn't the game be only exactly that much more expensive. You can't seriously believe that it costs $10.00 more per unit to produce a game on 16 gb cards.

i think it’s unfair to criticize rockstar for requiring switch users to download important software data for a game they never had to bring to the switch.

they could have made it download only to avoid the physical release backlash, but they decided to release it anyway. they could have avoided the switch altogether to avoid the “required microsd” backlash, but they decided to release the game anyway.

switch users should be happy they’re being given options even if the options they’re being given aren’t as convenient as they would like.

if we’re unhappy with the option we’re being given, either don’t buy the game or we should program it for the switch ourselves.

if we don’t buy it, don’t be surprised that the third party support stops for games that are inconvenient to bring to the switch hardware.

gaming has always been an expensive hobby, and so i think it’s ridiculous to be upset that some games will require you to buy a microsd. they aren’t that expensive (compared to gaming as a whole).

honestly, from a gaming company’s perspective, why wouldn’t they want the game to be able to be played more easily? why wouldn’t they want the game to work on any switch regardless of whether you have a microsd or not?

they decided to work with what they had in terms of hardware. we should be praising them for working with the hardware at all, instead of critisizing them for trying and not meeting our expectations. if we don’t support their efforts, then they’ll consider the hardware too troublesome for their time.

Around the Network
Thechalkblock said:

i think it’s unfair to criticize rockstar for requiring switch users to download important software data for a game they never had to bring to the switch.

they could have made it download only to avoid the physical release backlash, but they decided to release it anyway. they could have avoided the switch altogether to avoid the “required microsd” backlash, but they decided to release the game anyway.

switch users should be happy they’re being given options even if the options they’re being given aren’t as convenient as they would like.

if we’re unhappy with the option we’re being given, either don’t buy the game or we should program it for the switch ourselves.

if we don’t buy it, don’t be surprised that the third party support stops for games that are inconvenient to bring to the switch hardware.

gaming has always been an expensive hobby, and so i think it’s ridiculous to be upset that some games will require you to buy a microsd. they aren’t that expensive (compared to gaming as a whole).

honestly, from a gaming company’s perspective, why wouldn’t they want the game to be able to be played more easily? why wouldn’t they want the game to work on any switch regardless of whether you have a microsd or not?

they decided to work with what they had in terms of hardware. we should be praising them for working with the hardware at all, instead of critisizing them for trying and not meeting our expectations. if we don’t support their efforts, then they’ll consider the hardware too troublesome for their time.

Enjoy your loot boxes and micros. It's that attitude that we shoudl be "grateful" that they are giving us their game that lets them walk all over you.

Why should we be grateful to a company that is charging us $10 extra dollars for a game for the sole reason that it costs more to be on cartridges. And then for that very said game not be on the larger cartridge that woudl allow it to not need a download at all.

Wouldn't it be great if Pizza places did this. Charge you $10 for delivery and then only deliver it halfway to your house. YOu have to go out and pick it up there.

irstupid said:

Enjoy your loot boxes and micros. It's that attitude that we shoudl be "grateful" that they are giving us their game that lets them walk all over you.

Why should we be grateful to a company that is charging us $10 extra dollars for a game for the sole reason that it costs more to be on cartridges. And then for that very said game not be on the larger cartridge that woudl allow it to not need a download at all.

Wouldn't it be great if Pizza places did this. Charge you $10 for delivery and then only deliver it halfway to your house. YOu have to go out and pick it up there.

this isn't about loot boxes or micros. this is about thinking you don't need a microsd for your nintendo switch.

if you're planning on buying nintendo only games, then of course you probably won't need a microsd (for some time anyway).

if you're planning on buying third party games, then i think it's pretty clear at this point that it's a necessity.

this is a matter of storage, not micro transactions. also, it only really effects those who are still set on buying physical versions of games: either as collectors of physical media or as people who are still trying to avoid upgrading their internal storage.

rockstar isn't forcing you to buy the game right when it comes out. if you don't like the price point, then wait until it's cheaper and buy it then. at least it's nice to have the option to pick the game up down the line when it's more affordable, yeah?

maybe "greatful" is the wrong word. maybe i should use a different word that doesn't sound like i care as much. either way, i'm happy that eventually i can pick this game up for switch. 

RolStoppable said:

I hope this is satire.

I'd expect you to know

Thechalkblock said:
irstupid said:

this isn't about loot boxes or micros. this is about thinking you don't need a microsd for your nintendo switch.

if you're planning on buying nintendo only games, then of course you probably won't need a microsd (for some time anyway).

if you're planning on buying third party games, then i think it's pretty clear at this point that it's a necessity.

this is a matter of storage, not micro transactions. also, it only really effects those who are still set on buying physical versions of games: either as collectors of physical media or as people who are still trying to avoid upgrading their internal storage.

rockstar isn't forcing you to buy the game right when it comes out. if you don't like the price point, then wait until it's cheaper and buy it then. at least it's nice to have the option to pick the game up down the line when it's more affordable, yeah?

maybe "greatful" is the wrong word. maybe i should use a different word that doesn't sound like i care as much. either way, i'm happy that eventually i can pick this game up for switch. 

This is about Rockstar charging us an extra $10 over the other versions with the excuse that cards are more expensive and then not even using the biggest cards. They are price gouging us. They are making a profit on the cards expense.

And like I said, I don't give a shit about the extra charge. I give a shit about the physical version of the game needing a 14gb install.

I buy all my games digitally and would of with this game. I also have a 256 gb card in my switch, so  I can fit this game no problem. I'm refusing to buy this game solely on their shitty practices. The physical version shoudl not have a 14gb install when that could fit on a bigger card, especially when they are charging $10 more for the switch version due to "card price"

There is no way a 32gb card costs $10.00 more than a blu ray version of the game to mass produce, let alone the 16gb card they are using. Thus tehy are making a profit on the cards, yet shafting us out of quick "plug and play" with a mandatory install.

The point is I'm making a stand with my wallet. People can bitch and moan all they want about loot boxes and micros, but if they continue to buy the games they will continue to be implemented. I refuse to buy this game because of their shitty practices.

RolStoppable said:
DonFerrari said:

If you are going to play only phisical and do no patches and DLC sure there is little use for the internal HDD, but how many players are going to keep at that?

equal to a Blu-ray in what sense? Sure both Nintendo and Sony charge royalties that are probably similar. But I don't see any reason for a 8GB to cost pennies like the BD cost. Now if the game should be launched on 32GB, I'm certainly in favor of that, but not sure if the profit would be the same just with the extra 10 USD. And certainly Nintendo could have talked to them to make viable a 32GB version for the 70USD, either by showing the obvious difference in cost is enough to cover for it, or diminishing their royalty fee a little to keep the same profit.

The majority of players will buy physical because digital verifiably accounts for only a minority of game sales (10-20% at best).

Equal in the sense of profit margins for third party publishers. You have this wrong idea that cards are like cartridges which were significantly more expensive to produce than optical discs.

On PS4 seems the digital attach ratio for retail games is 25%-33% already. So why do you think only less than 20% of Switch userbase will even buy digital games at all?

I have the idea that 5 or 10 USD is significantly more than cents. Does anyone have the official price of the media per size?

irstupid said:
DonFerrari said:

A cartridge will already cost you more than a disc. So a penny for the disc versus 10 USD for the disc is already standard for the publisher to make the same per unit on both formats. The 32GB card would have to cost even more. So you would either ask they to profit less or charge more, both of which I suspect one of the two involved parties wouldn't like. You aren't forced, you can buy or not. And Nintendo choose the form to store the games. I know some wanted even Sony to go for 100GB cartridges for PS5, they would also certainly complain of games costing 80 USD or more.

The digital isn't less than the phisical for the same reason why they aren't on PS4 and X1, because that would make the retail stores pissed.

You said yourself, the difference between the 32 to 16 is 10 USD, but since the 16 doesn't cost 0, then it would need 10 extra charged.

I did not say that. I said I DOUBT the difference between the 8gb and 32 is $10.

Let us say that the game costs X amount to make on a CD.

An 8gb card lets say adds $2.50 over the costs of that CD to produce per unit

a 16gb card add $5.00 to the cost of the game.

A 32gb card add $7.50 to the cost of the game.

Now my numbers are rediculously high. THere is no way the extra costs are even remotely close to my bloated numbers. But even in this situation, they are charging us, the consumer, an extra $10.00 for what is an extra $5.00 expense to them. They are tryign to make a profit on just the medium over the actual games price. We are getting upcharged.

Their reasoning for incnreasing price was said to be cartridge costs right? Then shouldn't the game be only exactly that much more expensive. You can't seriously believe that it costs $10.00 more per unit to produce a game on 16 gb cards.

We can doubt or believe, without hard numbers there is nothing to really agree.

You numbers are ridiculously high because? If 32 GB is so unexpensive why would Switch having more internal space be so costly?

Any company will have margin on each aspect of the their cost structure, if they wouldn't, why include that aspect?

Do you have the numbers? Because from what I can check 16GB microsd sells for  about 10USD and a 32GB sells for about 15USD. Considering other manufacturing process that may be higher for the card than the bluray it isn't totally unforseen that the 16GB card would sell for 10 USD more than the BD and 15 or 20 more if released on 32GB.

Again, I'm not defending they charging more or releasing on 16 instead of 32, I'm showing reasons on why they may have done it. And also showing that if one are demanding games to be shipped on larger medias they should as well demand that Nintendo ship with larger HDD.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."