By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What makes the average Nintendo game hold its value so well compared to other console games

Well they usually go down to ~40$ at a pretty fast rate Mario Odyssey is down to 48€ already on amazon.de for example. They are much more sluggish to go down in reatil stores though.

Tiitles that bombed or were not well recieved DO go down at a faster and steeper rate (even though they might not go down as fast or as far down as comparable third party titles). Star Fox zero is 30€ currently, Animal Crossing Amiibo festival can be had for as little as 12€. For a more recent example, 1-2 Switch is down to 35€.

For anything under that you have nintendo selects, wich release at 20$ but usually go down to 15$-17$ eventually.

Nintendo maintains their prices longterm, wich along with conservative development and marketing budgeting is probably one of the reasons they actually have longterm ans sustained profits from their games, without cramming lootboxes up the wazoo into them.

Around the Network

After the first response of "Nintendo CFO" i was worried insight into this question of mine would be limited.......i was wrong

deskpro2k3 said:
Cause they see you like a wet sponge full of money and they want to squeeze you dry.

wheres your thread/

Lack of competition and third party games on the system and Nintendo's stubbornness, I suppose.

Nintendo does not want to reduce the value of their games; not just in terms of monetary value.
They don't want to taint the image of their IPs, by selling the games at a lower price.
Doing this they can train their consumers to perceive their games as higher value, because they paid more for them.

The rigid pricing structure and the way they space out the releases in a franchise; adds to the perception of quality that their titles excrete.
It does them no harm that their games are really well designed too.

Around the Network

We should add that the resell market for Nintendo games is basically inexistant if you compare other consoles or companies. People who buy Nintendo ‘s games tend to keep them, thus lowering the possibility to find them used. 

Lack of competition on Nintendo consoles.
There's not much else from big publishers on Nintendo's consoles, so they basically have a monopoly, you either buy their games or you buy nothing.

Well it would be stupid for Nintendo to reduce prices as their games are usually selling much better in the long term.

For most major Nintendo franchises you get one major entry per generation. Games lose a lot of value once a sequel releases.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Not necessarily, just look at Pokemon. Even with S/M on the market, XY and OS/R are still selling well and with no real drop in price. And even when they release a new sequel in majors franchises, they tend to discontinue the older one, thus lowering the offer.