By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What makes the average Nintendo game hold its value so well compared to other console games

RolStoppable said:
Quality.

Every company would love to have pricing like Nintendo, but it's usually not feasible for them because the market catches on and realizes the lack of quality. So what those other companies fall back on is DLC and microtransaction madness in the long run while upfront they offer crazy special editions to squeeze more money out of early adopters.

The same logic (quality) applies to much older games. Companies like Atari and Sega have offered mini-consoles long before Nintendo started, but the former didn't garner much attention while Nintendo's mini-consoles are scalper heaven despite having much, much, much higher supply than the counterparts from Atari and Sega.

This is completely false. Even the garbage half of the catalogue still remains at or near its initial MSRP well after release even in cases where it's completely flopped (as were the case with many late Wii U and 3DS titles). That said, at least Nintendo games go on temporary sales more often. I purchased Smash, MK, and Tokyo Mirage Sessions all at $30 and below on sales. I only imagine that Switch will have the same situation this Christmas or next.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network

Another big reason why Nintendo games would retain their MSRP could be Nintendo consumers buying habits. Statistically speaking Nintendo games show up on the best sellers lists on their respective platform more frequently than EVERY publisher. Why would Nintendo lower the MSRP of their games when people are buying their platforms specifically for those games.

Overall point: If people are buying mostly Nintendo games for Nintendo systems then Nintendo would be smarter to lower prices just on their hardware, not on their software. Nintendo knows this which is why you historically see Nintendo focusing their price drops for their hardware and price retention of their software.

Intrinsic said:
RolStoppable said:

Because I look at sales data and that's what it shows. There's no basis to conclude that Nintendo would have to be scared of competition from AAA publishers.

OMG..... are you serious?

So basically you mean nintendo has never done and could never do anything in light of whatever the competition is doing? You really believe that?

And sorry, so your sales data tells you that practically over 90% of games released on a nintendo platform keep their higher pricing months or even years after release all because they are of a higher quality to everything else on the market? So lets take Horizon for instance, you can get that game brand new for as low as $40 now.... so your reasoning is that everything on the switch that came out around the same time but still cost more are all better games than it?

This is deep bro.....

Stuff like this is why I stopped buying ps4 games at release. Nothing annoys me more than buying a game full price then couple months later the price is slashed and then  the inevitable game of the year versions. Thus I have been conditioned to wait and not buy games on my ps4 at release.

NintendoPie said:
I don't see why Rol's argument is so hard for some to understand. It's not about being blind, it's about true market demand. The market decides what is quality and since Nintendo's largest IPs are almost always in high demand their perceived quality and worthiness of MSRP stays up. Nintendo would be the stupidest company in the world if they didn't take advantage of their IP's quality and demand in this form.

But there are a lot of quality games on PS4 that dont have near the same price point years later that Nintendo's do. Since you are saying the market decides what quality is, which i dont disagree, then how do you explain games that sold millions more the some Nintendo games that are priced $10-$20 dollars cheaper years later. 

Intrinsic said:
RolStoppable said:

AAA publishers could put all of their best games on Nintendo's platform and it still wouldn't have any effect on Nintendo's pricing, because Nintendo's games are of higher quality. Logically, it's the best games that will be able to maintain their price while the lesser games will be forced to cut their price in order to compete and sell copies. It's no coincidence that GTA V can command a high price tag much longer than other games on the PS4 and XB1. New games are released constantly, but they all fall prey to GTA V because they are of lower quality. The same pattern can be observed time and time again on Nintendo platforms where it doesn't matter how many third party games there are. Whether there are hundreds or thousands, Nintendo's games remain on the top.

Many people in this thread reject Occam's Razor because the simplest and most obvious conclusion would mean to concede that Nintendo makes a lot of high quality games.

Wow.....

I'm literally in shock. Like how can you type all that and actually mean it?

Shit bro, when the fuck did he say that! Thats horrendously ignorant and biased as fuck. That top statement makes me so mad for a few reasons. Firstly, youve no idea the quality of those other "inferior" games if you havent played them and judging from your fanboy tone, you havent. Secondly, i dont own the Wii U or the Switch but because im logical, free thinking and not butt fucked by some cringey need to be a fanboy, i can absolutely see that those two platforms have some amazing looking games yet you claim that AAA publishers could put all their best games, not a few, ALL and it wouldnt matter cause Nintendo has higher quality games............what in the absolute fuck kinda dumb statement is that. Dark Souls, Witcher 3, Doom, Ratchet and Clank, Forza, these are all AAA games that i imagine can stand shoulder to shoulder with your Mario and Zelda and Star Fox and Mario Kart etc.

Dude, if you are going to be a blithering idiot fanboy, make your own thread and jerk all your friends off, i want a thread free of that elementary school behavior.

Around the Network

Also to that Nintendo weirdo Rol or whatever, A LOT of amazing games and movies etc fly under the radar and dont get sales that their experience deserves. You cant be THAT thick to think that if a game sells poor its poor whereas if a game sells good its good, sure that happens the majority of the time but there are still a lot of times where it doesnt.

Baddman said:

Stuff like this is why I stopped buying ps4 games at release. Nothing annoys me more than buying a game full price then couple months later the price is slashed and then  the inevitable game of the year versions. Thus I have been conditioned to wait and not buy games on my ps4 at release.

You make all that sound like a bad thing. There are very few PS4 games I buy full price, though I don't buy any of them used. I just wait... playing a game a few months after release or sometimes even a year after releasle won't kill me.

For me, I actually love that you just know if you wait a while you will get a deal on what you are trying to get. There are those with itchy clicky fingers that will buy day one and thats all well and good too. But I won't. 

But this is a good thing. Its a good thing that prices come down after a while. Its a good thing that if you wait long enough, you may even get the game for free (like i did with MGS5) and still doing with Deux ex HR.

ChaosReich said:

Shit bro, when the fuck did he say that! Thats horrendously ignorant and biased as fuck. That top statement makes me so mad for a few reasons. Firstly, youve no idea the quality of those other "inferior" games if you havent played them and judging from your fanboy tone, you havent. Secondly, i dont own the Wii U or the Switch but because im logical, free thinking and not butt fucked by some cringey need to be a fanboy, i can absolutely see that those two platforms have some amazing looking games yet you claim that AAA publishers could put all their best games, not a few, ALL and it wouldnt matter cause Nintendo has higher quality games............what in the absolute fuck kinda dumb statement is that. Dark Souls, Witcher 3, Doom, Ratchet and Clank, Forza, these are all AAA games that i imagine can stand shoulder to shoulder with your Mario and Zelda and Star Fox and Mario Kart etc.

Dude, if you are going to be a blithering idiot fanboy, make your own thread and jerk all your friends off, i want a thread free of that elementary school behavior.

I literally had no words to address what he was saying. Like I do not believe that someone in this day and age with all the internet and stuff could be so biased and ignorant. I'm still finding it hard to believe he's serious.... I wanna believe he's just fucking with me lol.

Like who says stuff like that? 

And thats the real scary thing, he probably hasn't played 90% of all those games he just categorically placed in the mediocre zone. Thats teh literal definition of ignorance right there.

Intrinsic said:
Baddman said:

You make all that sound like a bad thing. There are very few PS4 games I buy full price, though I don't buy any of them used. I just wait... playing a game a few months after release or sometimes even a year after releasle won't kill me.

For me, I actually love that you just know if you wait a while you will get a deal on what you are trying to get. There are those with itchy clicky fingers that will buy day one and thats all well and good too. But I won't. 

But this is a good thing. Its a good thing that prices come down after a while. Its a good thing that if you wait long enough, you may even get the game for free (like i did with MGS5) and still doing with Deux ex HR.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing. I'm saying its an understandable business policy. So I don't get why folk don't understand that is the main reason Nintendo doesn't drop prices on their games as quickly as other publishers.  It's an understandable business policy even if some fans and consumers may not like it.

Baddman said:
Intrinsic said:

I'm not saying it's a bad thing. I'm saying its an understandable business policy. So I don't get why folk don't understand that is the main reason Nintendo doesn't drop prices on their games as quickly as other publishers.  It's an understandable business policy even if some fans and consumers may not like it.

IKR? Then again, after this thread and seeing some nintendo fans saying its a "quality" thing? I can kinda see why nintendo keeps getting away with this. Lol... nintendo games remain expensive because they are better than everything else out there..... lmao.