By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu: Super Mario Odyssey sold 511,625 units within first three days in Japan

Very nice!I wasnt that far off with my numbers and without the download cards, might just got the number right!

Its really impressive how well the Switch is doing.Its going to be nice to see how well the rest of the software is going to be.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network

This is also best 1st week debut for any 3D Mario in Japan.

more than expected, really great numbers

Congrats. I hope we can get a Odyssey 2 to fix the many problems with Odyssey.

Wow!

SMO legs will be crazy :D

Around the Network

Holy fuck! And I thought my 420k guess was probably reaching.....best opening for any 3D Mario in japan?
I'm happy tp see Swich hardware at 130k+, but like always I had hoped for an even bigger bump!:P

OTBWY said:

Jesus Christ-kun.

Way above my prediction numbers.

Wait a minute... That's MORE than Splatoon 2 right?

Nah splatoon 2 was in between 600-700k first week

ryuzaki57 said:
That's some insane COMG ratio. It shows that Switch audience is more 1st party-oriented than ever.

Hopefully games like SMTV, Octopath Traveler, a supposed Tales of game, and DQXI can show the viability of third-party success on Switch in Japan, especially as big games (though Octopath Traveler might not count as a big game since its in the mold of its Bravely sibling). Even though we have Disgaea 5, Super Bomberman R, USFII, MHXX, DQX, and DBZ Xenoverse 2 from the Japanese developers, I think there is more room for improvement in the third-party aspect. If Square could port games from the Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy series, Capcom with something akin to Street Fighter V (maybe the Arcade Edition?), Atlus with Persona, or Bandai Namco bringing a game from the Tekken or Soul Calibur series (please revive the series!), then who knows how the chips will fall in terms of third-party support on the Switch. It could be argued that Bethesda has provided (or will provide) better support and enthusiasm than Capcom when it comes to the Switch thus far, which was hard to believe back then since Capcom provided great support for the 3DS. Heck what about developers who supported the Vita? Maybe they will see something in the Switch that could bold well for their business.

LimaBean01 said:
OTBWY said:

Jesus Christ-kun.

Way above my prediction numbers.

Wait a minute... That's MORE than Splatoon 2 right?

Are talking first week? Or first 3 days?

The hardware numbers are def higher though.

OTBWY said:
LimaBean01 said:

Are talking first week? Or first 3 days?

The hardware numbers are def higher though.

Fair point, this was only 3 days for odyssey. I’m pretty sure splatoon 2’s first week included not a whole week either though? I can’t remember