By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Ghost of Tsushima (Open world samurai game from Sucker Punch)

Guys about the samurai -> ninja transformation... as far as I'm aware the "real ninja" were a subset of samurai with espionage skills, not a secluded group of magic users.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
hudsoniscool said:
After seeing this trailer I got on Amazon to see the price of a used PS4... looks damn good.

There will be a Black Friday sale for $199.

DonFerrari said:
Guys about the samurai -> ninja transformation... as far as I'm aware the "real ninja" were a subset of samurai with espionage skills, not a secluded group of magic users.

Actually they weren't samurai at all, they were typically impoverished peasants. While they would wear samurai gear occasionally, it was only to blend in and become invisible (not to mention it was likely stolen for one-time usage). The only ninja you're likely to see wearing this all the time are, honestly, just bad ninja. The idea was to kill before alert was raised and to remain undetected, so speed and silence were preferred over the clunky, noisy suits of armor.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

It does have some impressive visuals, but more gameplay would have been nice as well. There's potential in this title.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

I just learned about the origins of ninjas....Pretty interesting.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Y'all are ruining the announcement already! Making it sound like it's gonna be a boring stealth game

Hey, if this turns out to be a tenchu-esque game, I'm all for it. .

Nintendo Switch FC: SW-6340-7643-4233 aka Renji

Steam: Lee Roid

shikamaru317 said:
hudsoniscool said:
So I love Xbox (have the x preordered), but it's become increasingly evident that it's not the console to play singleplayer games. first time I've actually thought about getting a PS4. We need games like that samurai game, last of us, and horizon. I'm jealous. Sigh..... I wish there where no exclusives. I can't stand psn, and their controller. But there is no denying that they have the better single player games.

Yep,  I already gave in and got a PS4 last year. Ghost of Tsushima does indeed look amazing (as do Spiderman and Detroit imo) and I would love to see games like that on Xbox, but I don't see it happening. MS has made it pretty clear that they no longer find singleplayer games profitable, its all about GaaS and MP moving forward for them in the future. 

Lawlight said:
hudsoniscool said:
After seeing this trailer I got on Amazon to see the price of a used PS4... looks damn good.

There will be a Black Friday sale for $199.

Haha hard to convince the wife right after buying an X. I'll get one probably the next Black Friday. it's not a gigantic list of PS4 games I want to get so I'll wait for the price to come down. I want uncharted 4, last of us, horizon, this, Detroit, and Spider-Man. I also want to wait to see Sonys approach to the pro going forward. I have some suspicions that Sony could pivot positions in a year of 2 and start saying it's an entry level ps5.

Halo MCC will sell 5+ million copies(including digital)

halo 5 will sell 10 million copies(including digital)

x1 will pass ps4 in USA, and UK.

Ka-pi96 said:
shikamaru317 said:

I mean it is what it is. From the game's official description:

The year is 1274. Samurai warriors are the legendary defenders of Japan–until the fearsome Mongol Empire invades the island of Tsushima, wreaking havoc and conquering the local population. As one of the last surviving samurai, you rise from the ashes to fight back. But, honorable tactics won’t lead you to victory. You must move beyond your samurai traditions to forge a new way of fighting–the way of the Ghost–as you wage an unconventional war for the freedom of Japan.

That definitely sounds like he is going to be using guerilla tactics and stealth to fight the Mongols, who massively outnumber him. I'm sure there will be combat options for when you get discovered, but you're probably going to want to soften up the enemy ranks with traps and assassinations and such before taking out the last few with combat or else you will be overwhelmed by their numbers. 

Sounds boring then. Wish they had just done another infamous instead

Oh really? I bet you want guys to say, "you are a powerful samurai that for the begining of your journey you smash buttons and kick there a%s😃

They saying is a action, stealth, adveture game,  you have freedom to go anywher without checkpoints, and want you to explore what is to be samurai   

Also the description you make sounds like Assasin Greed game #100 is Sucker punch so idiots to make that mistake? i bet its not and they have something good for us

If Sony announce bloodborne 2 at PSX or next e3 then it will be crazy having that and ghost on their line up

Hiku said:
DonFerrari said:

I wasn't suggesting that the presence of ninja skills = magic. But that the burning transformation may suggest supernatural elements.
If that were the case, each class the main character can use would naturally be affected.
The ninja discussion that subsided was separate from that, as I think the burning scene is probably just symbolic.

I understand two topics got mixed.

Azuren said:
DonFerrari said:

Actually they weren't samurai at all, they were typically impoverished peasants. While they would wear samurai gear occasionally, it was only to blend in and become invisible (not to mention it was likely stolen for one-time usage). The only ninja you're likely to see wearing this all the time are, honestly, just bad ninja. The idea was to kill before alert was raised and to remain undetected, so speed and silence were preferred over the clunky, noisy suits of armor.

Depends on the source. Some of the stories I got the "ninjutsu" were techniques that some samurais had and used for "indirect" battle.

shikamaru317 said:
DonFerrari said:

Actually Ninja were typically peasants, samurai considered the tactics of subversion and espionage that ninja used to be dishonorable and beneath them. That is one of the reason why many ninja used kunai, kunai were actually multi-purpose tools used by the lower class for farming and masonry work, but since the lower classes often didn't have access to swords they made do with kunai, using them as rudimentary weapons and tools for climbing walls. 

As I said above, depends on source, some will tell that ninjas were a portion of the samurais.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."