By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Extra Bold: Super Mario Odyssey Will Ship+digital 20mil Lifetime! (17.4mil Currently)

Seeing how Odyssey did on Amazon worldwide... yeah, 20M sounds about right

Around the Network

Bundles plus a Nintendo Selects a few years down the road would help, but I see it doing about 15m, with Zelda hitting about 10m. I do expect both of them to do huge numbers, since they are the two "go to" titles for the Switch and the attach rate is extremely high on this console.

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

Green098 said:

I agree.

They just need to discontinue every Nintendo Switch sku but the Odyssey bundle for a couple years.

PortisheadBiscuit said:
If they bundled Odyssey for $299 for sure it would

In this case for sure and I would welcome this, we havent had a bundled Mario game in so long and it used to be Nintendo standard in the olden days.

newwil7l said:
I think it will outsell all the other 3D Mario games but not by 7 million lol. I think 15 million lifetime is more realistic.

If not bundled as main offering then I agree, it's a bit steep to go beyond 7 milion more than the best Mario game sales yet.

tbone51 said:
EricFabian said:
11M LT and that's it

Really? BotW will hit 10mil at this rate, you dont think smo will do much better?

According to Amazon sales ranking it should be doing much better than Zelda, yes.

Well, it's certainly more believable now than it was a year ago, or even 6 months ago.

Might be. Just found out that it's outsold on fucking Amazon. I mean how the fuck can a game be outsold? On Amazon?

Will have to try at some retailers in my lunch break but I don't really have any hope.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
DialgaMarine said:
That’s an extremely hefty prediction. It would have to outsell every other 3D Mario by at least 7 million units. Galaxy 2 was one of the most critically acclaimed 7th gen games, and it didn’t even come close to that. Time will tell.

On a side note, I distill dont see many Switch games having a high digital attach ratio. I think for this game, it’ll be 10% at best, so you’re talking at least 18 million shipped/ sold at retail, if I’m not wrong.

Splatoon 2 is at 3.6M officially. VGChartz has it at 2,142,419 right now, so it will probably be at 2.5M by the end of September. So either the game is undertracked by almost a million, or its digital ratio is at 30%.

I think how high SMOs lifetime sales will depend largely on whether or not Nintendo does a new 2d Mario for the system or not. We might just get a mario maker for switch instead of any new 2d platformer. If that happens then I'd say the sky is the limit for SMO because there will be no proper 2d mario to overshadow 3D mario in sales like what usually happens. It could definitely go 20m or even higher in that case.

Well if Tbone said it, it's now a fact.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

That's a tall order. I doubt it, but I imagine Zelda and Mario will surprised a lot of sales figures this gen.

They have the benefit of being games that will never really become outdated on the Switch. Whether your buying the Switch March 2017 or March 2022, chances are you will be eyeing these two games as must haves. I mean 2 97's. I don't know the circumstances for why someone is buying a Switch in 2022, maybe its for some new game they really like releasing then. Maybe they finally old enough to purchase themselves. Maybe parents finally got them it. Ect.

Doesn't really matter the reason. When one gets the system, they will look at the library and Zelda/Mario will definitely still be stand outs just for their critical reception alone. They may pass cause they don't like that kind of game, but anyone with a switch will be recommended those two games for its entire lifetime.

Well, 10% of the way there in 3 days.