By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Where do you buy your retail games (NA)?

Where do you buy physical releases?

Amazon 17 12.59%

Amazon with Prime 32 23.70%

Best Buy 14 10.37%

Best Buy with GCU 17 12.59%

GameStop 34 25.19%

Target 1 0.74%

WalMart 3 2.22%

eBay 2 1.48%

Other 15 11.11%

Total:135

I usually just go to the stores that are the closest to where I am.

Around the Network

Amazon and Best Buy.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

TalonMan said:

**Note: This question is mostly aimed at North America users.

I'm not really big into e-shop type games (well, obviously for the smaller indie games, that's the only option available for buying those games), and so long as there is a physical version of a game available I will always choose that over a digital download. There are many reason for this (some personal, some more obvious), but my question is - where do most of you make your purchases?

I've been an Amazon Prime member for a long time (since they first introduced it), and have purchased most of my library over the years via Amazon - a few months ago, I discovered the Gamers Club Unlocked option at Best Buy and have been steadily moving my purchase options over to them instead. Has anybody found a better (read: cheaper) option for purchasing retail??

The ones I know of (and have been using so far) are:

- Amazon Prime - 20% discount on most new games (Prime is $99 for the year but includes a TON of things, other than just videogame discounts)
 - Best Buy GCU - 20% discount on all new games (GCU is $30 for two years - I saved that much just pre-ordering CoD: Valor Edition)

What do you all use?

GCU also gets you double points when you use your Best Buy credit card. So everytime you buy a $60 game at your $48 discounted price you get 165 points. For every 240 points you get a $5 gift certificate. So it's basically another $3.43 off your games. 

And then if you take advantage of pre-order bonuses like the $10 gift certificate that comes with Super Mario Odyssey, then that's even more money saved. I bet you did the same thing with CoD right? 

TalonMan said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

GCU also gets you double points when you use your Best Buy credit card. So everytime you buy a $60 game at your $48 discounted price you get 165 points. For every 240 points you get a $5 gift certificate. So it's basically another $3.43 off your games. 

And then if you take advantage of pre-order bonuses like the $10 gift certificate that comes with Super Mario Odyssey, then that's even more money saved. I bet you did the same thing with CoD right? 

You are DAMNED right!! LOL!!

I was hoping somebody was going to pop in here, tell me I was crazy, and suggest an even cheaper place to get games!! But honestly, I just don't think that's possible at this point. In fact, I really don't know why people would be their games anywhere else!! Other than the "trade in" program with GameStop (and as a collector, I keep every single game I buy - no matter how shitty the game might be!), I see no real value in going there...

Bro, see my sig. Pics of full game collection over there. I ALSO keep every game I buy! :D

I'm pretty much full digital these days but on the rare occasion that I buy a game, I just go to GameStop.

I used to buy from them all of the time and redeem my points for things but one day my points just disappeared. A ton of them, too. Now I only go on there every few months for some random accessory or something.

Around the Network

Best Buy. Honestly with how good of a deal Best Buy Gamer's Club is, you're a fool if you buy physical games anywhere else. For $30/2 years You get 20% off new game, 10% off used, and 10% towards trade-in. On top of that you get reward points. Just this year alone I've gotten $65 in rewards points. Also free release day shipping, if you don't have a store near by.

I buy them in store where I see fit to buy them.

Amazon   I have no choice.

I picked other, but a closer answer would be most of the above...
Used I tend to be gamestop or jellybeans (somewhat regional used books/dvds/vhs/video games). They are local, so easier to returns if there is a problem... Maybe every 5 years or so on ebay if as a set (with a console). Thinking about a PS4 or Xbox One, but I might get new...

New physical tends to be Amazon or gamestop, or Meijers. Walmart is sort of a last resrot if they happen to have it in stock and others don't. Best Buy and target are not local, so they are rare.. One national one you forgot is toys-r-us, which also is not local for myself, but I have picked up more from there than best buy, and sometimes they have really good sales.

Amazon and Best Buy. GameStop once in a blue moon.