By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Where do you buy your retail games (NA)?

Where do you buy physical releases?

Amazon 17 12.59%

Amazon with Prime 32 23.70%

Best Buy 14 10.37%

Best Buy with GCU 17 12.59%

GameStop 34 25.19%

Target 1 0.74%

WalMart 3 2.22%

eBay 2 1.48%

Other 15 11.11%

Total:135

Best Buy with GCU.

Around the Network

I have been using Amazon with Prime. Games get here quick and I never have to leave my house (release day if preordered). Also the discount on oreorders plays a big role.

Gamestop is where I would go next if I had to have a game that was already released and I could not wait a whole day for it to get here, but I rarely resort to it.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

I only buy through ebay or Amazon since I buy them when they are $20 or less for sealed copies. I never buy new games since I will play them for a little and take a week or more to get back into it. If I were to get a new game on release, I'd probably get it through Amazon Prime.

Amazon with Student Prime and BB with GCU.

Best Buy with GCU.

Around the Network

Best Buy with GCU is #1, Amazon with Prime discount is 2nd option if BB doesn't carry it.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

TalonMan said:
I'm surprised that GameStop is so popular - I really am!!

For those that are buying mostly from GameStop, is it because of their "trade-in" program??? They are easily the most expensive option for buying games, so I'm just curious as to what's driving people towards them - and the only thing I can come up with, is their trade-in allowance.

Is that the reason you GameStoppers shop there?

I mostly buy used from GameStop because they are local and I buy more used than new.  I don't have time to play all the games I have now, so I can wait a bit for most new games...

TalonMan said:
I'm surprised that GameStop is so popular - I really am!!

For those that are buying mostly from GameStop, is it because of their "trade-in" program??? They are easily the most expensive option for buying games, so I'm just curious as to what's driving people towards them - and the only thing I can come up with, is their trade-in allowance.

Is that the reason you GameStoppers shop there?

Well in my hometown you can drive 20 minutes to a Gamestop or 1hr+ to more Gamestops and rarely a Best Buy. Being the market leader means they can take advantage of customers, but they will slowly lose marketshare to amazon and etc.

Amazon with Prime is the only way to do it as far as I'm concerned. I get it either launch day with 20% off if I pre-order OR I can get it in a day or two with normal order at what is always the lowest (even if equal) price.

I hate going into a store if I can help it and I really have never liked Gamestop's practices of used games/opening new cases, etc.

Blend between Amazon for games I plan in advance to get, and Gamestop for impulse buys and consoles (since last I checked, a Switch was almost $400 on Amazon). The Gamestop near me is actually decent, with helpful employees. As for why I'm not boycotting them, the employees at the bottom will feel the crunch long before upper management, so I'd rather have them not get fired.