By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Where do you buy your retail games (NA)?

Where do you buy physical releases?

Amazon 17 12.59%

Amazon with Prime 32 23.70%

Best Buy 14 10.37%

Best Buy with GCU 17 12.59%

GameStop 34 25.19%

Target 1 0.74%

WalMart 3 2.22%

eBay 2 1.48%

Other 15 11.11%

Total:135

Recently I get all my new games on Amazon due to my discount on Amazon Prime. Before I would get all my games from Gamestop. (Don't look at me like that. Gamestop is the only game store near me!)

If I want used games I go to Ebay,Amazon or Used gaming store.

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

Around the Network

I get my games at GameStop, I got a Pro Membership almost free and so far they have given me good money for my trade ins. I know, I know GameStop corporate sucks and they are shady as fuck but it's convenient to me.

I use Best Buy with GCU. I never buy digital games because they're always more expensive than what Best Buy is offering.

TalonMan said:

Have you looked into Best Buy, at all?

I was on the fence for awhile with the $30 membership fee, but it's for two years and I already saved that much on my first order - it's a CRAZY good program to join! Besides the 20% discount, I've also found that:

- Best Buy includes the 20% discount on ALL new games, whereas Amazon only has the discount on most pre-orders and for the first few weeks after release. The Best Buy discount continues indefinitely - all new games, regardless of release date, are 20% off!
 - Best Buy includes the discount on "Collecter Edition" items, in addition to the standard releases! I pre-ordered Xenoblades Collector Edition at Best Buy for $79.99. It's a full price purchase ($99.99) on Amazon.
 - The GCU also includes a 'Rewards Program" - I think it's something like $.50 per $1 spent. I don't know, but whatever it is, it's far more than Amazon gives back because Amazon gives you NOTHING! I've already received $15 in "purchase certificates" from Best Buy, which I can apply to my next order.

I honestly don't see how you can beat the Best Buy deal at this point - seriously. I do understand wanting to have (and use) Prime, because of all of the extra stuff that comes along with that membership. But if you purchase a lot of physical games, I would suggest seriously looking into and considering GCU...

Amazon actually changed the discount rule. You only get discounts on games you get on day 1 I think. Anyway I would use Best Buy but the nearest Best Buy is like 30 minutes away and I have to drive back :/ . At that point I am wondering if the money I save is worth the gas money that I will spend. 

I did buy Fire Emblem Birthright for $25 last Christmas so I will go back then every once in awhile. 

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

TalonMan said:

Well, Best Buy does offer free shipping, too (I think it has to be over $25?) as well as free "release day" shipping - Mario showed up on my doorstep, Friday morning...  :)

Wait they do release day delivery? I thought it was pick up only. Hmmm you opened my eyes. I will have to check it out now. I only do Prime because of release day delivery and Student Prime discount. 

Around the Network

I use Gamestop.

Gamers and Gamestop was all that was near me, eventually I stopped going because they always do a sales pitch when all I want to do is browse for price checks.

Amazon most of the time and especially always for Collectors Edition. Bestbuy next, then Walmart, then EBgames.

New games: amazon prime
Used games: amazon

TalonMan said:
Farsala said:
Gamers and Gamestop was all that was near me, eventually I stopped going because they always do a sales pitch when all I want to do is browse for price checks.

YES!!! That is the one thing I have always HATED about GameStop!!! I go in there to buy a new game, and they spend at least 5 minutes trying to talk me into a used copy, or to purchase a warranty on the game, or to pre-order something else, etc. I cannot STAND that kind of crap!!!!

Edit: And I still haven't forgiven them for the one time I bought a "new" DS game, only to get it home and find a saved game file on it!! Man, I was PISSED!!!!

Yep even Walmart was more chill, though their prices never change. I only go to Gamestop or Gamers now if they have a day 1 purchase that I want, and don't mind giving my full support to. (like a rare jrpg) Otherwise I patiently wait for price drops, so all these sales pitches don't affect me at all no matter how many times they try.