By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Prediction: The last of us 2 will be a crosslaunch PS4/PS5 title

Nah, I expect PS5 to release in 2020 at the absolute EARLIEST since PS4 sales will still be strong in 2018 and relatively strong in 2019 ... (I wouldn't be surprised to see PS4 being able to keep within 3M units against the Switch in 2019)

No technical reason to justify a new gen this early since advances in transistor technology has been slowing down ...

Around the Network

That's probably a safe prediction.

I just wanted to chime in about dev time.

The Last of Us Part II is being built on Naughty Dogs brand new engine. Uncharted 4 & The Lost Legacy were both built of a modified version of the PS3 engine.

I have no idea when they started working on this engine. I am sure they have been building the engine since before the PS4 launched, and I don't know how long it will take them to iron out this new engine. I am guessings this new engine is being heavily built around scalability, and will be future proofed for both the PS5 and most likely a new PS Portable as well.

Just wanted to through that out there as it appears a lot of people either didn't know or forgot this game was being built on a new engine.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

LipeJJ said:

Nah, unless PS5 release in 2019, because I doubt they would unveil a game in 2016 and release it in 2020 as a cross gen title. This would be bad PR if you ask me.

Don't know. It worked out pretty good for Zelda regardless.

KBG29 said:

The Last of Us Part II is being built on Naughty Dogs brand new engine. Uncharted 4 & The Lost Legacy were both built of a modified version of the PS3 engine.

I have no idea when they started working on this engine. I am sure they have been building the engine since before the PS4 launched, and I don't know how long it will take them to iron out this new engine. I am guessings this new engine is being heavily built around scalability, and will be future proofed for both the PS5 and most likely a new PS Portable as well.

Just wanted to through that out there as it appears a lot of people either didn't know or forgot this game was being built on a new engine.

I dont think thats true.. do u have a source?, i m pretty sure its the same engine, coz i dont remember which interview it was but naughty dogs mentioned their darkest days were during making uncharted 1 were they had to scrap the entire engine and build a new one.. and the same engine was heavily modified for PS4 coz they didnt wanted to do the same mistakes and in gaming industry its not sensible to build a new engine when u have perfectly scalable engine.. it will be suicide.

not to mention during the reveal even Shawn said its runing on updated engine.  the Only studios in my knowledge who developed brand new engine for this gen are guirella games and sucker punch. 

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/naughty-dog-will-keep-its-engine-tech-for-ps4-development/1100-6409103/

Around the Network

If PS5 launches holiday 2019, then maybe. Otherwise nah.

Replicant said:
LipeJJ said:

Nah, unless PS5 release in 2019, because I doubt they would unveil a game in 2016 and release it in 2020 as a cross gen title. This would be bad PR if you ask me.

Don't know. It worked out pretty good for Zelda regardless.

Except Zelda was announced at june 2014 and released march 2017, so less than 3 years. We are talking about 4 full years here. Btw, it didn't work out 100%... it did get some backlash, plus Sony consoles usually have a better afterlife than Nintendo ones.

Unless PS5 releases holiday 2019... in that case, i guess it's totally fine. ^^ 

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

taus90 said:
KBG29 said:

I dont think thats true.. do u have a source?, i m pretty sure its the same engine, coz i dont remember which interview it was but naughty dogs mentioned their darkest days were during making uncharted 1 were they had to scrap the entire engine and build a new one.. and the same engine was heavily modified for PS4 coz they didnt wanted to do the same mistakes and in gaming industry its not sensible to build a new engine when u have perfectly scalable engine.. it will be suicide.

not to mention during the reveal even Shawn said its runing on updated engine.  the Only studios in my knowledge who developed brand new engine for this gen are guirella games and sucker punch. 

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/naughty-dog-will-keep-its-engine-tech-for-ps4-development/1100-6409103/

https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2016/12/psx-2016-the-last-of-us-part-ii-running-on-new-engine/18099/

According to this article the last of us part 2 actually runs on a brand new engine for some reason.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Qwark said:
taus90 said:

https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2016/12/psx-2016-the-last-of-us-part-ii-running-on-new-engine/18099/

According to this article the last of us part 2 actually runs on a brand new engine for some reason.

Yes, according to this lone source. 

On that same day, everyone else reported this story by saying it uses an updated engine. Not an entirely new one.

I'm not entirely convinced PS5 will truly be a new platform yet. Perhaps the same copy of TLOU2 could work on both PS4 and PS5.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)