By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Prediction: The last of us 2 will be a crosslaunch PS4/PS5 title

Dont expect so, even if TLOU2 slips from 2019 into 2020 it will still arive before PS5 launches at the end of 2020. TLOU PS3 also came out in the same year PS4 did.

malistix1985 said:
The PS5 will run the PS4 like the Xbox One X is running old Xbox games, most likely, boost mode right now only uses 50% of the GPU because of the way they designed the pro, they designed it with the ability to scale down by disabling half the GPU and clock speeds.

So thats a good thing, and since it will be x86 again they could do the same thing they do with the pro, download content according to whichever version you are playing.

Now there are some big questions like if the PS5 will even have a disc drive and if it does it if will run UHD discs, since 4k games are already taking up more then a blue ray can hold right now, but either way it should be compatible with the PS4 version.

I think its a good guess that games that have been announced but won't arrive soon like Deaths Stranding, The Last of us 2, Final Fantasy 7 remake, to name a few, will either be moved to the PS5 or released cross gen like you suggest.

I think you might be spot on with your prediction and I think the games will all run in 60fps on ps5 since it will have a processor that is so much more powerfull then current consoles :P

Questioning whether PS5 will have a disc drive is just ridiculous. Sony has a big market outside developed Western nations, where data caps and speed are not the best, hell they still suck in most places in the West. Games will go upwards 100-200GB in the next gen, exceeding data caps of an entire month for a lot of people,  the bluray discs to contain so much data already exist.

And dont expect 60fps to ever be the standard, it hasnt been since the 90s on any console. Available power will always be used towards making a game prettier.

Last edited by Turkish - on 29 October 2017

Around the Network
RoboTin said:
I think they are capable of releasing it 2019. PS5 will be released end of the 2020 at the earliest(in my opinion) and the last of us 2 will be out before that. Dont forget TLOU left behind was released only 2 years before uncharted 4 and they remastered the TLOU for ps4 as well.

It took Naughty Dog from June 2013 to May 2016 to release Uncharted 4. The problem is that Uncharted 4 LL is way bigger than left behind. I clocked 10 hours with most treasures and the side treasure hunt completed. I also think TLOU is going to be ND is biggest game to date. With a few big open world parts (Uncharted lost legacy Western gates big) and more surviving than present in TLOU. Which was very linear.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Doubtful. Lost Legacy was made by an entirely different team, meaning TLoU Part II has been in production since Uncharted 4 launched. So it'll be out in 2019, or possibly even late next year. Also keep in mind that TLoU is a sequel so a lot of the groundwork has already been laid out.

Given how important Naughty Dog has become to Sony, its very likely that they have two teams that are big enough to handle two big projects at once.

I do think that maybe it will get the first game treatment.But I still thats very likely that the game will just release for the PS4 for now and maybe get the Nathan Drake collection treatment(in the sense that it will be ported 2 or 3 years down the PS5 lifecycle).

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Qwark said:
RoboTin said:
I think they are capable of releasing it 2019. PS5 will be released end of the 2020 at the earliest(in my opinion) and the last of us 2 will be out before that. Dont forget TLOU left behind was released only 2 years before uncharted 4 and they remastered the TLOU for ps4 as well.

It took Naughty Dog from June 2013 to May 2016 to release Uncharted 4. The problem is that Uncharted 4 LL is way bigger than left behind. I clocked 10 hours with most treasures and the side treasure hunt completed. I also think TLOU is going to be ND is biggest game to date. With a few big open world parts (Uncharted lost legacy Western gates big) and more surviving than present in TLOU. Which was very linear.

A couple points you're missing though, the first game on a new console is almost always expected to take longer. On top of that Uncharted 4 had issues during development which led to a change in the leadership and the Sotry, characters, actors, etc. were changed. Basically Uncharted 4 development cycle is in no way indicative of ND's normal output, which since they started Uncharted series has been a new game every two years if not sooner. Let's say Lost Legacy was a game that actually stopped them from actually starting work on TLOU2, I think we can still expect TLOU2 in 2019 at the latest.

Around the Network
twintail said:
It might be cross gen but it's not going to make the ps5 more attractive when you can just get it on PS4

What if the PS4 version is 1080p/30 the pro is 1440p/30 but the ps4 is 4k/60 ?

Twitter @CyberMalistix

shikamaru317 said:
It wouldn't surprise me. Supposedly it had only recently entered development when they announced it at PSX 2016. A game as big as TLOU 2 will take at least 3 years, so we're looking at a Holiday 2019 release most likely, and I could easily see PS5 releasing Holiday 2019.

Uncharted 4's reveal trailer was shown at e3 on june 9, 2014. The game released two years later on may 10, 2016...

twintail said:
malistix1985 said:

What if the PS4 version is 1080p/30 the pro is 1440p/30 but the ps4 is 4k/60 ?

I think most ppl wont really care tbh. Its not like you see Pros flying off shelves with better sepcs for games. 

If its cross gen then thats great of course. But it will just follow the TloU model if model if you ask me. a PS4 release, then a GoTY edition like PS5 release for those who havent picked it up yet. 

I mean, im obviously speaking for myself for the most part but I aint picking up a PS5 on launch, and im not gonna wait until I get a PS5 to play the tlou. As long as it runs well on PS4 then im good. of course its an attractive proposition to have for PS5 but its not overly so at all. PS5 will need its own games to help define it as different from the PS4. Those will be bigger selling points imho. 

But anything is cool

I would buy the ps5 regardless of when it releases and what specs it has so it doesn't really matter to me, but I see the ps5 arriving in 2019 and I would just play the ps4 games on it, I never got the pro cuz I was going for the one X but the ps5 will have exclusives I cannot play on my launch ps4 so the faster the better :P

Twitter @CyberMalistix

NawaiNey said:
Qwark said:

A couple points you're missing though, the first game on a new console is almost always expected to take longer. On top of that Uncharted 4 had issues during development which led to a change in the leadership and the Sotry, characters, actors, etc. were changed. Basically Uncharted 4 development cycle is in no way indicative of ND's normal output, which since they started Uncharted series has been a new game every two years if not sooner. Let's say Lost Legacy was a game that actually stopped them from actually starting work on TLOU2, I think we can still expect TLOU2 in 2019 at the latest.

Well you make some solid points about the Uncharted release schedule and the misfortune that did go along with making the fourth entry. Effectively delaying the game for 6 months probably, the first TLOU title took way longer to develop than an uncharted game, almost double the time even. I also believe this title will be very ambitious in size and scale, since that is what Sony is currently doing with most exclusives.

For example Horizon Zero Dawn is probably the biggest game ever produced by a western PS developer, Uncharted 4 is the biggest Uncharted game  and I wouldnt be surprised if the new god of war i's also the biggest in the seried. Not to mention Detroit or Dreams.

So I don't think Naughty Dog with all its recent layoffs is able to produce their flagship PS4 title in less than 1 year with a half team and 3 years with the full team. I can fully see them taking their time on this one, since they also don't really need to release TLOU in a brief period of time.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

According to Michael Knowland's LinkedIn profile and hints from Evan Wells TLOU 2 has been in development since 2014.

From the article:

The Last of Us achieved massive success both critical and commercial, Sony shipped over a whopping 7 Million units on PS3 alone. So, it was expected that Naughty Dog would come up with a sequel at some point, and if LinkedIn Profile of Michael Knowland is to be believed, fans of the game might not have to wait long for a second chapter. According to his LinkedIn Profile, Michael Knowland finished work on “The Last of Us 2 - 1 month prototyping head sculpts” at Naughty Dog in April 2014.

Additionally, Naughty Dog Boss Evan Wells admitted later in 2014 that the second team at Naughty Dog was developing something on the scale of Uncharted. "We definitely have another project on the scale of Uncharted in very early pre-production stages," Evan Wells said back in June 2014. "We have the sizeable team that it takes to get something like that off of the ground, but it's got a long runway in front of it. We have a lot of great ideas, and some stuff that is already getting everybody jazzed and excited."