By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Prediction: The last of us 2 will be a crosslaunch PS4/PS5 title

So I completed lost legacy today and I absolutely loved the game. India was truly beautiful, the chemistry between Chloe and Nadine was great and the setpieces where stunning. Anyway as I played trough this game it suddenly hit me that Naughty Dog still has not had much time to work on the last of us 2.

Considering it took nearly three years to complete Uncharted 4 I think that The Last of Us part 2 is going to take even longer and that Naughty dog will stretch it's development till mid 2020, and cross release the game on both PS4 and PS5 with the latter having way more graphical wissles and native 4k support.

It would be the ideal game to launch the PS5 with and take on a headstart against the Xone. It would also help the Playstation 5 to stay an attractive alternative for a low budget pc.

But what do you guys think will the last of us be a PS4 exclusive (for quite some time), skip the PS4 all together or will it be released on both PS4 and PS5 when the console launches.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Around the Network

Put "prediction" in the title or your gonna piss off alot of people.

I'm sure it will be like TLOU, coming late but will be remastered for PS5. That said I still don't want to believe this gen will be the first with no new Naughty Dog IP...one can hope, right?!

Errorist76 said:

I'm sure it will be like TLOU, coming late but will be remastered for PS5. That said I still don't want to believe this gen will be the first with no new Naughty Dog IP...one can hope, right?!

There is a slight possibility that ND has two teams working on different projects. There was only 1.5 years between Uncharted 3 and The last of us. So there is a small possibility but I wouldn't count on it. Especially since many have left Naughty Dog recently.

tbone51 said:
Put "prediction" in the title or your gonna piss off alot of people.

I tough ant PS5 speculation by defenition was a prediction, but I put it in never the less. Don't want to start a fight.

Around the Network
Qwark said:
Errorist76 said:

There is a slight possibility that ND has two teams working on different projects. There was only 1.5 years between Uncharted 3 and The last of us. So there is a small possibility but I wouldn't count on it. Especially since many have left Naughty Dog recently.

They do have two teams. They've had two teams since Uncharted 3, where the second one worked on The Last of Us.

The team that handled Lost Legacy was quite small compared to the one that worked on Uncharted 4, and they re-used a lot of assets that were already created for that game.

They're not full independant team though. They start production on two titles, concentrate the bulk of the work force on one title while, and once one is complete, that work force go help the other team finish their game and vice versa.

It's basically two different teams each with different producers, writers, directors, etc., but they overlap if required/needed.

Last edited by Hynad - on 29 October 2017

I think they are capable of releasing it 2019. PS5 will be released end of the 2020 at the earliest(in my opinion) and the last of us 2 will be out before that. Dont forget TLOU left behind was released only 2 years before uncharted 4 and they remastered the TLOU for ps4 as well.

Hynad said:
Qwark said:

They do have two teams. They've had two teams since Uncharted 3, where the second one worked on The Last of Us.

The team that handled Lost Legacy was quite small compared to the one that worked on Uncharted 4, and they re-used a lot of assets that were already created for that game.

They're not full independant team though. They start production on two titles, concentrate the bulk of the work force on one title while, and once one is complete, that work force go help the other team finish their game and vice versa.

It's basically two different teams each with different producers, writers, directors, etc., but they overlap if required/needed.

Just imagine they have a small dedicated team working on their first VR project.....

Guess that would depend on when PS5 arrives, and when TLOU2 comes along. If we are getting a PS4.2 as PS5 in 2019, then I think it would be a great idea. If we are getting a proper generational leap in between 2021 to 2023, then I would think not. Being a Naughty Dog game, I will likely play it on PS4, then PS5, then PS6, cause that's they are so good, they always find their way forward, and they are always worth another play through.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

The PS5 will run the PS4 like the Xbox One X is running old Xbox games, most likely, boost mode right now only uses 50% of the GPU because of the way they designed the pro, they designed it with the ability to scale down by disabling half the GPU and clock speeds.

So thats a good thing, and since it will be x86 again they could do the same thing they do with the pro, download content according to whichever version you are playing.

Now there are some big questions like if the PS5 will even have a disc drive and if it does it if will run UHD discs, since 4k games are already taking up more then a blue ray can hold right now, but either way it should be compatible with the PS4 version.

I think its a good guess that games that have been announced but won't arrive soon like Deaths Stranding, The Last of us 2, Final Fantasy 7 remake, to name a few, will either be moved to the PS5 or released cross gen like you suggest.

I think you might be spot on with your prediction and I think the games will all run in 60fps on ps5 since it will have a processor that is so much more powerfull then current consoles :P

Twitter @CyberMalistix