By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - On November 7th, I will own my fifth Xbox One console.

d21lewis said:
In a way, it's pretty sad.

I grew up loving video games in the 80s, not owning my own console until I got an NES in 1988. From that point on, my home was always full of neighborhood kids who wouldn't hang out with me or even speak any other time but I was good at games and my parents were nice so my place was just the video game hangout. I guess I was being used, but I was happy. At the time, there was no game me, my cousin,and my step brother couldn't beat. I was in love with video game tech (though, to this day I haven't felt the urge to become a PC gamer) and little things like watching a cutscene from Ninja Gaiden to staring at the ending of Super Mario Bros. 2 just captured my imagination.

As time went on, most everyone I knew either moved away, quit gaming, or quit coming around. That's just the way life is. It wasn't long before it was just my cousin Jermaine and I, sharing a love and excitement for video games. He struggled a lot, though. It's like one thing would happen to him after another. First losing his father (accident), then his wife and home, his mother to Parkinson's disease, and eventually his job (failed drug test). He'd always come around and we'd be kids again, though. I loved showing him the latest gadget I bought or newest game. We were closer than brothers. He was going to be the best man in my wedding last April.

He passed away in March of last year.

So, aside from my 16 year old daughter (with whom I'm having a blast with, playing Cuphead), it's just me. A 40 year old kid collecting video games to impress his cousin who isn't coming back.

Oh, and don't get me wrong. I'm well adjusted, have friends, people who admire me, and I live a very productive and fulfilling life. It's just that, sometimes I look at my collection--stuff that makes me really happy--and I feel really sad.

This... made me cry.

Around the Network

I’ve iwned two so far. Got the original for Christmas in 2014 then sold it six months later cause I was bored.
Bought the S last summer and sold it earlier this year cause there still wasn’t many games that interested me on it other than forza.

But that’s nothing compared to how many times I’ve bought and sold dreamcast ps2 and GameCube consoles. I’ve lost count how many times I’ve bought those over the years.

d21lewis said:

I grew up loving video games in the 80s, not owning my own console until I got an NES in 1988. From that point on, my home was always full of neighborhood kids who wouldn't hang out with me or even speak any other time but I was good at games and my parents were nice so my place was just the video game hangout. I guess I was being used, but I was happy. At the time, there was no game me, my cousin,and my step brother couldn't beat. I was in love with video game tech (though, to this day I haven't felt the urge to become a PC gamer) and little things like watching a cutscene from Ninja Gaiden to staring at the ending of Super Mario Bros. 2 just captured my imagination.

As time went on, most everyone I knew either moved away, quit gaming, or quit coming around. That's just the way life is. It wasn't long before it was just my cousin Jermaine and I, sharing a love and excitement for video games. He struggled a lot, though. It's like one thing would happen to him after another. First losing his father (accident), then his wife and home, his mother to Parkinson's disease, and eventually his job (failed drug test). He'd always come around and we'd be kids again, though. I loved showing him the latest gadget I bought or newest game. We were closer than brothers. He was going to be the best man in my wedding last April.

So, aside from my 16 year old daughter (with whom I'm having a blast with, playing Cuphead), it's just me. A 40 year old kid collecting video games to impress his cousin who isn't coming back.

Oh, and don't get me wrong. I'm well adjusted, have friends, people who admire me, and I live a very productive and fulfilling life. It's just that, sometimes I look at my collection--stuff that makes me really happy--and I feel really sad.

Never has a truer story been told on these forums. I am pretty much living the same situation just 10 years behind you. I lost all my gaming friends and family over the last ten years. Haven't played with anyone except the odd one off time here and there in 6 years. Between 25 and early 28 it was really bothering me that no one I knew, and no one I was meeting had any interest in games. In the last year and a half, I have moved on from that. I have an incredible job, I already have my debt under 50K (Which will be gone by the end of 2018 bar any surprises) with a nice house, 5 cars, and lots of toys. I still going Jeeping with my friends and family, I still do sports, and I have had no shortage in intimacy. 

That said, games are still my foundation. Nothing makes me happier than lossing myself in another world, or in a simulation of our real world. Great games or gaming sessions give me a high that nothing else does. So now I have just found peace in the fact that I know I am happier with my life than anyone I know, and I have places like VGChartz and the PS Communities to go when I want to talk with others that love games. 

Back to the Original topic. I have bought 5 PS Vita's, three for me, one for my dad and one for my brother. My Pro was my 9th PS4. I have the OG, a 1200, and the Pro (bed room, office, living room). Bought the others as gifts, mom & dad, Dads Parents, brother, sister, cousin, friend. Most are used for Vue, Netflix, Hulu, etc. with the very rare gaming session. I love buying PlayStations, if I had more money, I would buy even more, and once my house is done being payed off, I probably will. My PlayStations have brought me the ultimate happiness, and giving others a window to that happiness is just as big of a high. Yeap, I am a PlayStation junkie. 

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

KBG29 said:
d21lewis said:

Never has a truer story been told on these forums. I am pretty much living the same situation just 10 years behind you. I lost all my gaming friends and family over the last ten years. Haven't played with anyone except the odd one off time here and there in 6 years. Between 25 and early 28 it was really bothering me that no one I knew, and no one I was meeting had any interest in games. In the last year and a half, I have moved on from that. I have an incredible job, I already have my debt under 50K (Which will be gone by the end of 2018 bar any surprises) with a nice house, 5 cars, and lots of toys. I still going Jeeping with my friends and family, I still do sports, and I have had no shortage in intimacy. 

That said, games are still my foundation. Nothing makes me happier than lossing myself in another world, or in a simulation of our real world. Great games or gaming sessions give me a high that nothing else does. So now I have just found peace in the fact that I know I am happier with my life than anyone I know, and I have places like VGChartz and the PS Communities to go when I want to talk with others that love games. 

Back to the Original topic. I have bought 5 PS Vita's, three for me, one for my dad and one for my brother. My Pro was my 9th PS4. I have the OG, a 1200, and the Pro (bed room, office, living room). Bought the others as gifts, mom & dad, Dads Parents, brother, sister, cousin, friend. Most are used for Vue, Netflix, Hulu, etc. with the very rare gaming session. I love buying PlayStations, if I had more money, I would buy even more, and once my house is done being payed off, I probably will. My PlayStations have brought me the ultimate happiness, and giving others a window to that happiness is just as big of a high. Yeap, I am a PlayStation junkie. 

You're okay in my book, man. And, all things considered, I'm pretty happy and blessed myself. Thanks for sharing your point of view. Made me smile.

Stop hogging all the Xbones, I want to get one too!

Seriusly tho, I might get one down the road when it's cheap and og Xbox BC library is large enough.

Around the Network

I still have my XBO from early 2014. Jesus christ man, calm down. We all love Xbox here, but this is a bit too much. XD

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

Everyone has that thing where they have to buy something. I had an issue with watches, jackets, trainers and aftershaves.

At one point I owned over 50 bottles of aftershave, some worth £200 a bottle.

My watch obsession led to go owning almost a dozen watches, a couple worth almost £5k each.

Jackets I had almost 2 dozens off with the average cost being £500.

The point is, it's not as bad you think, it could be worse and as long as you're happy and it's not affecting you in a bad way, it's okay.

d21lewis said:

I am not really sure why you feel sad. I could almost be your father (58 birthday soon) but gaming is my most beloved hobby.

When my kids grew up in the 80s and 90s I provided them with PCs and consoles and games as much as I could. They had fun, I had fun and occasionally even my wife joined in. Our house was, like yours, often full of kids that played games. We had all kinds of consoles and games, Nintendo, Sega, PC, PlayStation, Xbox, Gameboy etc.

Now they are grown up but I am the one that likes gaming the most.

Are you sad because you think that gaming is not a legitimate hobby at your age? People spend ridiculous amounts of time and money on crazy hobbies. Crazy hobbies like golf, wine, movies, sports, books, theatre, journeys and collecting art. These activities are more socially acceptable nowdays but  they are in no way "better" in any way than gaming. 

Be proud of your collection and think of all the joy you have had trough gaming and if you can not share this joy with other adults then keep it to yourself.

I sold my X one S around May so I haven't been on xblive much since then. I was planning on getting an X one X too around launch but possibly later in 2018 due to being very pleasantly surprised how much I like Animal Crossing mobile.....

I definitely want to revisit Fallout 4 and Sunset Overdrive again

That's a lot of money on hardware between ps and Xbox. Personally only got a ps4 and pro this gen.