By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Catalonia declares independence. Puigdemont free to roam Belgium.

Who do you support?

Spain 139 59.40%

Catalonia 95 40.60%

Total:234

The map says Venezuela recognizes Catalonia
+1% legitimacy

Last edited by fory77 - on 06 November 2017

Around the Network
Volterra_90 said:

We live in a country that imprisioned, the same day, some rappers for rapping, and some elected poltician for doing polytics. The weird thing would be not to be frustrated with the disgrace that this country is. We're reverting into fascism.

This country is not a disgrace at all, Spain is rated among the countries with better civil and political rights on the planet, is the 15th biggest economy of the world and the 5th of Europe, is the 3rd most visited country on Earth cause its plenty of great cities, beautiful nature, awesome beaches, tons of history, some of the best nightlifes anywhere and is just in general a great place to spend time, it's also the most gayfriendly country in the world and one of the less racist countries of Europe, it has the 7th best healthcare system of the world and was a pioneer on universal healthcare systems, its a country with huge personality, tons of unique festivities, one of the best gastronomies of the planet and one of the best weathers anywhere.

No is not a disgrace of a country at all. The real disgrace that is constantly hurting the country is called PP, a party that less than 8 milions people voted in a country with 46 milion people, PP is NOT Spain.

Last edited by Goodnightmoon - on 06 November 2017

CrazyGamer2017 said:

But I still disagree cause if we don't have a structure in which a country has the highest authority and last word in deciding and the lower the level (regions, cities, streets, houses)  the less the level of decision making then everything turns to chaos, independence happens everywhere and after that inevitable wars, alliances, invasions etc.. in other words: EXACTLY what the world was centuries and millennia ago.

The indepent regions were rarely the problem though. The wars were fought between the big countries, and these same big countries were also violently oppressing regions that wanted independence.

Ka-pi96 said:
CrazyGamer2017 said:

Yes, when you attack someone directly and do not explain yourself. I am on average more open minded than many. You may call me names if you feel like it as long as you explain why in a manner that demonstrates an opinion and not an aggression. But in that previous post you called me a name and that's it, no explaining why which feels aggressive. If you explain why I can tell you why you are wrong or who knows, agree with you.

At least in this last post you explain why and that's fine.

But I already told you and you don't seem to understand, Belgium is a country and how is that an exception or a caveat? You are making one if you say that a region like Catalonia is a country when it is not. Your point would ONLY make sense if I said BRUSSELS is a country then yeah you could say how is Brussels a country but not Catalonia?

If you're purposefully comparing a country (Belgium) with a region (Catalonia) and pretending the same rules apply to both when they are clearly two different types of territories (one is a country the other a region), you are either ignorant or hypocrite. But I don't think you are ignorant as there is no way you would not know that Belgium is a country while Catalonia is a region.

Fair enough, I should have explained why I felt that way in the original post.

And how is Belgium already being a country not a caveat? The statements "it is up to us Belgians to decide whether Belgium is a country or not." and "it is up to us Catalans to decide whether Catalonia is a country or not." are practically identical, no? With those alone, as they are, how can you say one is fair and the other not? Additionally, how can you justify adding "since it's already a country" on to that statement?

I won't pretend that statement was stand alone, and you did have "Yeah except it is a country and if you don't mind" attached to the front of it. But no where in there does it suggest that it already being a country was a prerequisite for why Belgians get to decide whether it's a country or not.

I feel like you are trying to hard.

1) Basically Belgium is recognized as a country by like whole the world except for some individuals on Vgchartz? While Catalonia hasn't been recognized yet by anyone or a few?

2) What Catalonia basically did is declare that they are divorced but it doesn't work that way, if you are in marriage you can say you want/will divorce but after it you need to communicate about it but it feels like Spain is an abusive wife/husband who wants to lock him/her up for saying so. In an ideal world and something I expected is that Spain would let another referendum start in Catalonia and uses international organisations to check if everything goes like it should during a referendum and then let the people decide themself. 

Ka-pi96 said:

1. There was only one guy that said Belgium is not a country and it wasn't me.

2. I agree completely with you there. Spain is being a real dick about it but Catalonia is moving a bit too fast as well. They really need a proper referendum to see whether the people there really do want independence or not. And Spain really should respect and allow a proper referendum to take place.

Catalonia has been talking about this for a long time, and they've certainly tried to do a proper referendum, but Spain is just too authoritarian and anti-democratic.

Also, Spain knows that they have the possibilty to be a dick without fearing any consequences, since all the other countries are too afraid to do anything.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Flilix said:

Catalonia has been talking about this for a long time, and they've certainly tried to do a proper referendum, but Spain is just too authoritarian and anti-democratic.

Also, Spain knows that they have the possibilty to be a dick without fearing any consequences, since all the other countries are too afraid to do anything.

Yeah, other countries are definitely part of the problem here. If it was a country like Russia or China that did what Spain did during the referendum western countries would be real quick to condemn it.

Western countries definitely have a sort of order in this, depending on how mighty the country is and how much they need them.

e.g. Spain > Russia > Brasil > Congo

Flilix said:
Ka-pi96 said:

1. There was only one guy that said Belgium is not a country and it wasn't me.

2. I agree completely with you there. Spain is being a real dick about it but Catalonia is moving a bit too fast as well. They really need a proper referendum to see whether the people there really do want independence or not. And Spain really should respect and allow a proper referendum to take place.

A 57% of Spaniards wants the state to make a legal referendum for Catalonia against a 37% that don't want to. The authoritarian jerks here are the PP.

Goodnightmoon said:
Volterra_90 said:

We live in a country that imprisioned, the same day, some rappers for rapping, and some elected poltician for doing polytics. The weird thing would be not to be frustrated with the disgrace that this country is. We're reverting into fascism.

This country is not a disgrace at all, Spain is rated among the countries with better civil and political rights on the planet, is the 15th biggest economy of the world and the 5th of Europe, is the 3rd most visited country on Earth cause its plenty of great cities, beautiful nature, awesome beaches, tons of history, some of the best nightlifes anywhere and is just in general a great place to spend time, it's also the most gayfriendly country in the world and one of the less racist countries of Europe, it has the 7th best healthcare system of the world and was a pioneer on universal healthcare systems, its a country with huge personality, tons of unique festivities, one of the best gastronomies of the planet and one of the best weathers anywhere.

No is not a disgrace of a country at all. The real disgrace that is constantly hurting the country is called PP, a party that less than 8 milions people voted in a country with 46 milion people, PP is NOT Spain.

Fair enough, Spanish government is turning this country into a fucking disgrace. But, to be honest, I don't see a willing to change in the population. We still live in fear. Rest assure that we have PP for a long time. Because a pretty high percentage of the population still lives in fear. Not the majority, I agree, but still enough to keep this rotten party into the government. They're still afraid to change. My opinion is that we still haven't moved on at all from the dictatorship. It's like a collective subconscious. I don't have any faith in this country. I don't have faith in people punishing corrupt politicians. I feel like we're going to see a lot of shit in these years, and that we'll live some fucked up times. 

I hope I'm being overly pessimistic, but, honestly, I'm fucking tired of all this shit. We reached a point when I feel that a coup d'état is necessary. We need to claim back what's ours, what belongs to the people. As you said, they're ruling with not even the 25% of the population supporting them. But this government is destroying Spain from inside. That's atrocious. 8 million people voting these... people is atrocious. It's like they're shooting themselves in the head. 

I know I sound too harsh, but that's not on you, it's just... angriness with how things are going lately.

Volterra_90 said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Fair enough, Spanish government is turning this country into a fucking disgrace. But, to be honest, I don't see a willing to change in the population. We still live in fear. Rest assure that we have PP for a long time. Because a pretty high percentage of the population still lives in fear. Not the majority, I agree, but still enough to keep this rotten party into the government. They're still afraid to change. My opinion is that we still haven't moved on at all from the dictatorship. It's like a collective subconscious. I don't have any faith in this country. I don't have faith in people punishing corrupt politicians. I feel like we're going to see a lot of shit in these years, and that we'll live some fucked up times. 

I hope I'm being overly pessimistic, but, honestly, I'm fucking tired of all this shit. We reached a point when I feel that a coup d'état is necessary. We need to claim back what's ours, what belongs to the people. As you said, they're ruling with not even the 25% of the population supporting them. But this government is destroying Spain from inside. That's atrocious. 8 million people voting these... people is atrocious. It's like they're shooting themselves in the head. 

I know I sound too harsh, but that's not on you, it's just... angriness with how things are going lately.

To be critic with your country is a fundamental step to start changing it, so don't feel the need to excuse you for that, people should be critical, but sometimes we lose perspective of things, we see all the shit happening and we forget to look at the other side. I do have faith in Spain, but my faith is with the young generations like us, Spain is plenty of old people that is not gonna change, people extremelly afraid of changes and many of them still have Franco in their subsconcious, but this is not gonna be like this forever, if you look Spain 50 years ago and compare it with how is Spain now, the change is spectacular and that change happened still with Franco in the subsconcious, imagine when we finally erase that for good, every poll and inform shows how youngster are way more open minded in everything that the older generations and specially more open minded than our government, most young people thing that Spain should give Catalonia a legal referendum, most of them think PP is cancer, most of them want to change things. So give it time, because, as we say here: Segur que tomba.

Goodnightmoon said:

To be critic with your country is a fundamental step to start changing it, so don't feel the need to excuse you for that, people should be critical, but sometimes we lose perspective of things, we see all the shit happening and we forget to look at the other side. I do have faith in Spain, but my faith is with the young generations like us, Spain is plenty of old people that is not gonna change, people extremelly afraid of changes and many of them still have Franco in their subsconcious, but this is not gonna be like this forever, if you look Spain 50 years ago and compare it with how is Spain now, the change is spectacular and that change happened still with Franco in the subsconcious, imagine when we finally erase that for good, every poll and inform shows how youngster are way more open minded in everything that the older generations and specially more open minded than our government, most young people thing that Spain should give Catalonia a legal referendum, most of them think PP is cancer, most of them want to change things. So give it time, because, as we say here: Segur que tomba.

That's normal human behaviour, maybe both of you will become more conservative as you grow older? I have an uncle who has flipped both extremes as he grew older, from communist ideals during the regime to super conservative in these past few years.

The problem in Spain is that the two Spains (the civil war) is ingrained in society, which might be normal in politics but to us it reverts back to times of pain. Our grandparents (great-grandparents for some?) wasted away their youths during that time, it is something they had to go through and suffer so we could have what we have today. Luckily we haven't participated in anything to that extent, so we should be free of those experiences. Still there are people that have this hate filled in them and lash out for things that's half a century ago (and for example we have the Portuguese in this thread with stigma from half a millennium ago).

Politics have now become a caricature, PP and PSOE are seen as extreme right or left depending who you talk to, and like you mention Podemos is seen with fear from older people. I don't know, maybe my uncertainty comes from the corruption that's filled in both left and right during these years of democracy. Quite a few politicians instead of working for the people, they just think of themselves. I have grown quite discontent with all political parties and it's always a struggle deciding who to vote during the elections, because in the end they are all the same shit.

Last edited by TomaTito - on 08 November 2017

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"