By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - GameCube controller now compatible with Switch

mZuzek said:
PAOerfulone said:

And the difference between 3D World and Smash 4 is that  nobody was/is asking for a port of 3D World, meanwhile Smash 4 is the most heavily requested port from the Wii U. And while the 3DS has Smash 4, it's not THE definitive version of Smash 4. Almost everyone unanimously agrees that it is the Wii U version, which underperformed. The only advantage Smash 3DS has is that it is portable, an advantage that the Switch erases.

Nah dude come on. Smash Run, although still quite a flawed game mode, is infinitely better than Smash Tour, and the 3DS has plenty of great stages exclusive to it too. Ideally, if they were to port Smash 4 to the Switch, they should bring over some (or all) of the features from the 3DS.

OK, I'll give you that one. Smash Run is much better than Smash Tour.

Highlighted: Exactly.

Around the Network
PAOerfulone said:

I'd rather have a Smash 5 than a port of Smash 4 too, but as it stands now, there's no reasoning or evidence to believe it's coming in 2018 or even 2019, whereas Smash 4 Deluxe is much more realistic. I'm simply keeping my hopes and expectations in check. At the end of it, I just want Smash Bros. on the Switch, just like a lot of people do.

And the difference between 3D World and Smash 4 is that  nobody was/is asking for a port of 3D World, meanwhile Smash 4 is the most heavily requested port from the Wii U. And while the 3DS has Smash 4, it's not THE definitive version of Smash 4. Almost everyone unanimously agrees that it is the Wii U version, which underperformed. The only advantage Smash 3DS has is that it is portable, an advantage that the Switch erases.

And there are flaws in your highlighted reasoning as well, wouldn't it have made more sense and been more attractive to have Mario Kart 9 from the ground up instead of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe? So, why isn't that the case? Because an enhanced port of Mario Kart 8 with all the DLC was more efficient, faster, and led to easy profits, in both hardware and software.

It's well on its way to outselling the original on the Wii U by a considerable margin, which shows two things:
A) That consumers who had it on Wii U were more than willing to double dip to get the definitive version on the latest and most relevant platform. (Me)
B) Consumers who wanted Mario Kart, but didn't want to buy a Wii U don't have to anymore, because the definitive version being on a system they are MUCH more interested in is just as appealing to them as a new entry in the series. Because for them, Mario Kart 8 IS a new entry in the series. (My cousin and his friends.)

The same can easily be said for Smash Bros.

The is evidence they're going for a Smash 5 as a port would have been out by now or announced you've even admitted yourself you'd prefer S5 than a port and a number of other people are the same and no doubt Nintendo themselves are aware of that.

Nintendo don't care that Wii U is seen as the definitive version they care about the total units moved and that is 13m more than any game in the series.

MK8D has some changes over the Wii U version despite being a port, MK also doen't have much variation in approach compared to Smash which changes from game to game so it's a lot easier to get away with it with MK but also MK8 is only on the Wii U unlike Smash 4 so people who didn't have a Wii U which is a lot of people would not have had the chance to purchase it unlike S4 which is highlighted by how the latter in total almost doubles the sales of the former.

Switch is going to outsell the Wii U early next year and a lot of Switch buyers will be 3DS owners as well who have access to S4 but not MK8.

Wyrdness said:
PAOerfulone said:

I'd rather have a Smash 5 than a port of Smash 4 too, but as it stands now, there's no reasoning or evidence to believe it's coming in 2018 or even 2019, whereas Smash 4 Deluxe is much more realistic. I'm simply keeping my hopes and expectations in check. At the end of it, I just want Smash Bros. on the Switch, just like a lot of people do.

And there are flaws in your highlighted reasoning as well, wouldn't it have made more sense and been more attractive to have Mario Kart 9 from the ground up instead of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe? So, why isn't that the case? Because an enhanced port of Mario Kart 8 with all the DLC was more efficient, faster, and led to easy profits, in both hardware and software.

It's well on its way to outselling the original on the Wii U by a considerable margin, which shows two things:
A) That consumers who had it on Wii U were more than willing to double dip to get the definitive version on the latest and most relevant platform. (Me)
B) Consumers who wanted Mario Kart, but didn't want to buy a Wii U don't have to anymore, because the definitive version being on a system they are MUCH more interested in is just as appealing to them as a new entry in the series. Because for them, Mario Kart 8 IS a new entry in the series. (My cousin and his friends.)

The same can easily be said for Smash Bros.

The is evidence they're going for a Smash 5 as a port would have been out by now or announced you've even admitted yourself you'd prefer S5 than a port and a number of other people are the same and no doubt Nintendo themselves are aware of that.

Nintendo don't care that Wii U is seen as the definitive version they care about the total units moved and that is 13m more than any game in the series.

MK8D has some changes over the Wii U version despite being a port, MK also doen't have much variation in approach compared to Smash which changes from game to game so it's a lot easier to get away with it with MK but also MK8 is only on the Wii U unlike Smash 4 so people who didn't have a Wii U which is a lot of people would not have had the chance to purchase it unlike S4 which is highlighted by how the latter in total almost doubles the sales of the former.

Switch is going to outsell the Wii U early next year and a lot of Switch buyers will be 3DS owners as well who have access to S4 but not MK8.

If Smash 5 were in development, they would have announced it already and the internet would be melting with hype, just like with 4 and Brawl.

Announcing a port is a different situation than announcing a brand new installment. The time table between announcement and release is usually much shorter for a port (MK8D - 6 months, Pokken - 3 months) than it is for a new installment (Fire Emblem, Metriod Prime 4, and Pokemon - TBD). So, the reason Smash 4 Deluxe wasn't announced is because its release isn't close yet. And because they want to pattern and organize their releases to fill out the schedule and continue momentum. With ports, 60% of the work on development is already done. It's simply a matter of choosing an approriate time to release it. That's one of the main purposes of ports, to fill out the gaps in a release schedule.

Between Breath of the Wild, MK8D, ARMS, Splatoon 2, Xenoblade 2, Pokken DX, Mario x Rabbids, and Odyssey, there was no need or rush for Smash Bros. in 2017. 2018, however, based on what we know so far, looks to be the perfect time for Smash Bros. to come in. All that's been confirmed so far are Yoshi, Kirby, and Fire Emblem, in terms of first party, Animal Crossing is widely assumed to be 2018, since everyone generally agrees that Metroid Prime 4 and Pokemon aren't coming any time soon.
Three 'B' Tier games so far, compared to 3 'A' Tier games the year before, two of which are being considered to be some of the greatest games in their franchises' history (Breath of the Wild and Odyssey), would be very underwhelming and shoot the Switch's momentum in the foot. They need some more big guns. Smash Bros. would be much more useful in that '2018' slot and it's much more feasible to port and enhance Smash 4 in the Switch, with the Wii U + 3DS content, making it the definitive version, than making Smash 5 from scratch.

That would mean that Smash 5 has been in development for some time, but like I said, we'd know about it by now. Why would they announce Prime 4 and Gen 8 before Smash 5 if the latter is much closer to completion and release than the former 2? That makes no sense.

Even though the controller is quite terrible, it somehow has its fans among the ongoing GameCube Defense force.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

F*ck Nintendo if they make a port of Smash Bros Wii U.

Around the Network

Just tried it with FE warrriors and its awesome.

PAOerfulone said:

If Smash 5 were in development, they would have announced it already and the internet would be melting with hype, just like with 4 and Brawl.

Announcing a port is a different situation than announcing a brand new installment. The time table between announcement and release is usually much shorter for a port (MK8D - 6 months, Pokken - 3 months) than it is for a new installment (Fire Emblem, Metriod Prime 4, and Pokemon - TBD). So, the reason Smash 4 Deluxe wasn't announced is because its release isn't close yet. And because they want to pattern and organize their releases to fill out the schedule and continue momentum. With ports, 60% of the work on development is already done. It's simply a matter of choosing an approriate time to release it. That's one of the main purposes of ports, to fill out the gaps in a release schedule.

Between Breath of the Wild, MK8D, ARMS, Splatoon 2, Xenoblade 2, Pokken DX, Mario x Rabbids, and Odyssey, there was no need or rush for Smash Bros. in 2017. 2018, however, based on what we know so far, looks to be the perfect time for Smash Bros. to come in. All that's been confirmed so far are Yoshi, Kirby, and Fire Emblem, in terms of first party, Animal Crossing is widely assumed to be 2018, since everyone generally agrees that Metroid Prime 4 and Pokemon aren't coming any time soon.
Three 'B' Tier games so far, compared to 3 'A' Tier games the year before, two of which are being considered to be some of the greatest games in their franchises' history (Breath of the Wild and Odyssey), would be very underwhelming and shoot the Switch's momentum in the foot. They need some more big guns. Smash Bros. would be much more useful in that '2018' slot and it's much more feasible to port and enhance Smash 4 in the Switch, with the Wii U + 3DS content, making it the definitive version, than making Smash 5 from scratch.

That would mean that Smash 5 has been in development for some time, but like I said, we'd know about it by now. Why would they announce Prime 4 and Gen 8 before Smash 5 if the latter is much closer to completion and release than the former 2? That makes no sense.

No we wouldn't you're basing the whole they would annouce it argument on a time long gone under what you're claiming Mario Odyssey would have been announced two years ago the argument you're putting forward is not concrete or solid you're essentially saying if its in development they would announced it despite the fact that this era strategic announcements and releases come into play far more then just announcing something for hype.  Before the Direct many thought AC wouldn't be out next year now people are saying its likely out next year because we're in an era where Nintendo are more strategic in announcements and releases.

What further goes against your argument is claiming Fire Emblem is b tier when Nintendo themselves have said the franchise is now considered one of their big IPs both internally and by consumers which sales of recent games have backed and no everyone doesn't agree on Prime 4 they say it might not be out yet could still make 2018 especially as the rumour goes only Pokemon is what people agree on. Under this FE, Metroid and AC would make up 3 A tier franchises under your argument, the are also third party titles like DQXI, SMTV, NMH, Fear Effect, Blazblue etc... next year to fill up the library further.

Has anyone used this with a third party adapter yet? Wondering if I need to shell out for the official Nintendo version which is slightly more costly than the 3rd party ones knocking about.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Never understood the love for the GameCube controller, but it is indeed perfect for playing Smash.