By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - GameCube controller now compatible with Switch

Gamecube controller's gonna outlive almost every other controller at this rate. Not that I'm complaining, since it's awesome.

Also hope this hints at a Smash port/new entry.

Around the Network
TruckOSaurus said:
Lonely_Dolphin said:
Seriously? It's been over 15 years, just let the controller die already!

It's still the best controller ever so long live the GameCube controller!

I couldn't imagine playing Splatoon with that tiny C-Stick, or anything that uses the D-Pad, but to each their own!

a GCN VC is now more obvious than ever.It's about time already.

Good.
Now we could expect a new Super Smash Bros or..... Gamecube games on Virtual Console.

now make the wii u pro controller compatible with switch

Around the Network
PAOerfulone said:

If Smash 5 was in development, we'd know about it by now. They usually announce something is huge as a new Smash Bros. game WELL ahead of time to build up as much hype and anticipation as possible (remember the Smash Dojo?)

Brawl was announced in 2005, revealed at E3 2006, released in 2008. 
Smash 4 was announced at E3 2011, revealed at E3 2013, released in 2014.

If they announced Smash 5 now, I wouldn't expect it until 2020/2021. 

Makes sense, but it really depends if they are porting Smash 4 or making a new Smash 5

A port should come out faster

Really exciting news though, since it functions basically as a Pro controller :D

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

WiiU gamepad compatibility when!?

Wyrdness said:
PAOerfulone said:

If Smash 5 was in development, we'd know about it by now. They usually announce something is huge as a new Smash Bros. game WELL ahead of time to build up as much hype and anticipation as possible (remember the Smash Dojo?)

Brawl was announced in 2005, revealed at E3 2006, released in 2008. 
Smash 4 was announced at E3 2011, revealed at E3 2013, released in 2014.

If they announced Smash 5 now, I wouldn't expect it until 2020/2021. 

Brawl was a different era, the only Switch game we knew of a year in advance before this year was Zelda, we didn't know of Mario, Arms, M&R etc... yet they all came out this year what you've said here is not really concrete, Metroid 2's remake was only announced 5 months before release even Doom was only announced a month ago and is out in December so an announcement doesn't mean years away.

Nintendo are more strategic today than before, MK8 got a port because it was only on Wii U while Smash IV how ever is on both 3DS and Wii U it's already got a version on another platform and has sold 13m units in total which beats Brawl's sales and is the top selling entry the game has met previous sales expectations unlike MK8 despite the latter's 7m units. A port may have been an option if the Switch struggled but I don't think it is now its taken off, I can only really see Smash 5 now as a ground up new Smash will be more attractive than another port.

Grand Theft Auto 5 sold 22 million on PS3 and 16 million on 360, for a total of around 38 million, 30 million by the end of 2013, which was well beyond the previouis best selling game in the series, but that didn't stop RockStar from porting it to PS4 and Xbox One for another combined 23 million, the PS4 version looking like it'll match or eclipse the PS3 version, but it won't matter to them, because they're looking at over 61 million copies of Grand Theft Auto V in total.
http://www.vgchartz.com/game/65883/grand-theft-auto-v/

And recently, it was announced to have shipped 80 million and still going strong. https://www.gamespot.com/articles/red-dead-redemption-2s-new-release-window-narrowed/1100-6450270/
Chances are, it's already surpassed Wii Sports as the best selling game of all-time.

Now what does this have to do with Smash Bros.?
Because if there is demand for a port, and there most certainly is for Smash 4, then if Nintendo makes it, it'll sell. Why settle for 13 million when they could go for 20 million with a fresh, definitive Smash 4 on the system everyone and their grandmother is talking about now?

Nobody was asking for a Mario Kart port NEARLY as much as Smash Bros. but look how great MK8D is doing. Because not everyone bought the Wii U, and I'm almost certain Nintendo was expecting far more from the Wii U version than what they got. They got what they expected from the 3DS version, but they must have surely been disappointed with the Wii U version's performance, especially since that's THE version of Smash 4 in everyone's eyes. It hasn't even caught up to the original game on the Nintendo 64, let alone Melee, https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/finance/software/wiiu.html
Those are lost sales that I'm sure Nintendo wants to get back, Mario Kart and Pokken are proof that fans are more than willing to double dip for a good port on a recent platform, and there are millions of others on other platforms, not just Grand Theft Auto V.

PAOerfulone said:

Grand Theft Auto 5 sold 22 million on PS3 and 16 million on 360, for a total of around 38 million, 30 million by the end of 2013, which was well beyond the previouis best selling game in the series, but that didn't stop RockStar from porting it to PS4 and Xbox One for another combined 23 million, the PS4 version looking like it'll match or eclipse the PS3 version, but it won't matter to them, because they're looking at over 61 million copies of Grand Theft Auto V in total.

And recently, it was announced to have shipped 80 million and still going strong. https://www.gamespot.com/articles/red-dead-redemption-2s-new-release-window-narrowed/1100-6450270/
Chances are, it's already surpassed Wii Sports as the best selling game of all-time.

Because if there is demand for a port, and there most certainly is for Smash 4, then if Nintendo makes it, it'll sell. Why settle for 13 million when they could go for 20 million with a fresh, definitive Smash 4 on the system everyone and their grandmother is talking about now?

Nobody was asking for a Mario Kart port NEARLY as much as Smash Bros. but look how great MK8D is doing. Because not everyone bought the Wii U, and I'm almost certain Nintendo was expecting far more from the Wii U version than what they got. They got what they expected from the 3DS version, but they must have surely been disappointed with the Wii U version's performance, especially since that's THE version of Smash 4 in everyone's eyes. It hasn't even caught up to the original game on the Nintendo 64, let alone Melee, https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/finance/software/wiiu.html
Those are lost sales that I'm sure Nintendo wants to get back, Mario Kart and Pokken are proof that fans are more than willing to double dip for a good port on a recent platform, and there are millions of others on other platforms, not just Grand Theft Auto V.

Again the are flaws in your reasoning, MK8 was solely on Wii U Smash IV isn't it already has another version that has made it become the top selling game in the series a lot of the demand has been met for it, you can be a person who doesn't own a Wii U but still have Smash IV the same can't be said for MK8 and Pokken.

GTAV came out on all platforms with in a year of its first release and was a new release S4 was out 3 years ago (4 as we go into next year) and strategy wise Nintendo don't really want their major titles to be last gen ports because it's not appealing as a consumer, a ground up Smash would be much more attractive and built for the new online service. R* are also not trying to sell a platfom to the whole market they have their own target audience.

I'm sure Nintendo were also disappointed in SM3DW's sales as well but we don't see that be rereleased instead we see a new installment.

Wyrdness said:
PAOerfulone said:

Again the are flaws in your reasoning, MK8 was solely on Wii U Smash IV isn't it already has another version that has made it become the top selling game in the series a lot of the demand has been met for it, you can be a person who doesn't own a Wii U but still have Smash IV the same can't be said for MK8 and Pokken.

GTAV came out on all platforms with in a year of its first release and was a new release S4 was out 3 years ago (4 as we go into next year) and strategy wise Nintendo don't really want their major titles to be last gen ports because it's not appealing as a consumer, a ground up Smash would be much more attractive and built for the new online service. R* are also not trying to sell a platfom to the whole market they have their own target audience.

I'm sure Nintendo were also disappointed in SM3DW's sales as well but we don't see that be rereleased instead we see a new installment.

I'd rather have a Smash 5 than a port of Smash 4 too, but as it stands now, there's no reasoning or evidence to believe it's coming in 2018 or even 2019, whereas Smash 4 Deluxe is much more realistic. I'm simply keeping my hopes and expectations in check. At the end of it, I just want Smash Bros. on the Switch, just like a lot of people do.

And the difference between 3D World and Smash 4 is that  nobody was/is asking for a port of 3D World, meanwhile Smash 4 is the most heavily requested port from the Wii U. And while the 3DS has Smash 4, it's not THE definitive version of Smash 4. Almost everyone unanimously agrees that it is the Wii U version, which underperformed. The only advantage Smash 3DS has is that it is portable, an advantage that the Switch erases.

And there are flaws in your highlighted reasoning as well, wouldn't it have made more sense and been more attractive to have Mario Kart 9 from the ground up instead of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe? So, why isn't that the case? Because an enhanced port of Mario Kart 8 with all the DLC was more efficient, faster, and led to easy profits, in both hardware and software.

It's well on its way to outselling the original on the Wii U by a considerable margin, which shows two things:
A) That consumers who had it on Wii U were more than willing to double dip to get the definitive version on the latest and most relevant platform. (Me)
B) Consumers who wanted Mario Kart, but didn't want to buy a Wii U don't have to anymore, because the definitive version being on a system they are MUCH more interested in is just as appealing to them as a new entry in the series. Because for them, Mario Kart 8 IS a new entry in the series. (My cousin and his friends.)

The same can easily be said for Smash Bros.