By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - GameCube controller now compatible with Switch

Smash deluxe incoming?

Around the Network
zippy said:
Smash incoming???

Maybe Super Mario Sunshine too, since that game used the analog triggers.

Does anyone know if those Hori Gamecube controllers for the Wii U that need a WiiMote work with the Switch? It would be a boon for me if I can use that thing for more than one generation, I actually loved it for Mario Kart

darkrulier said:
zippy said:
Smash incoming???

Or virtual console GameCube...

Don't get me excited ;)

Seriously? It's been over 15 years, just let the controller die already!

Around the Network

A Smash Bros port for Switch is one of the most inevitable things in modern gaming. We all know it's coming. Nintendo may as well just say so.

PAOerfulone said:

If Smash 5 was in development, we'd know about it by now. They usually announce something is huge as a new Smash Bros. game WELL ahead of time to build up as much hype and anticipation as possible (remember the Smash Dojo?)

Brawl was announced in 2005, revealed at E3 2006, released in 2008. 
Smash 4 was announced at E3 2011, revealed at E3 2013, released in 2014.

If they announced Smash 5 now, I wouldn't expect it until 2020/2021. 

Brawl was a different era, the only Switch game we knew of a year in advance before this year was Zelda, we didn't know of Mario, Arms, M&R etc... yet they all came out this year what you've said here is not really concrete, Metroid 2's remake was only announced 5 months before release even Doom was only announced a month ago and is out in December so an announcement doesn't mean years away.

Nintendo are more strategic today than before, MK8 got a port because it was only on Wii U while Smash IV how ever is on both 3DS and Wii U it's already got a version on another platform and has sold 13m units in total which beats Brawl's sales and is the top selling entry the game has met previous sales expectations unlike MK8 despite the latter's 7m units. A port may have been an option if the Switch struggled but I don't think it is now its taken off, I can only really see Smash 5 now as a ground up new Smash will be more attractive than another port.

What games does it work with? Mario Kart 8?

Would be nice to get a bunch of cheap controllers for splitscreen.

Lonely_Dolphin said:
Seriously? It's been over 15 years, just let the controller die already!

It's still the best controller ever so long live the GameCube controller!

Signature goes here!

Barkley said:
What games does it work with? Mario Kart 8?

Would be nice to get a bunch of cheap controllers for splitscreen.

It works with any game, it even works on the menus!