By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo intends to maintain a steady stream of releases for Switch

I think we can expect about 7 exclusives for Switch in a year from Nintendo.

Around the Network
Shikamo said:
MarkkyStorm said:

Take MGS V off that list and you have a very plausible bet.

irstupid said:

Not a single new third party game? Only ports of games already released?

Like I said these are my bets, nothing prevents you guys from creating a list too. :)

And it is quite difficult to predict unannounced games from third parties, so I went to a safer side and of course metal gear and tokyo mirage are more personal desires than reality.

Don't take my comment as a bad thing. I really think you are right (with the exception of MGS).

To irstupid: I really think that the only third party games Nintendo will get in the first one or two years will be ports or exclusive ones. I can't see a Far Cry 5 or Red Dead Redemption 2 coming to Switch, even less in the same day as in the other platforms.

guiduc said:
Lonely_Dolphin said:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your wording, but Nintendo did not put out all their biggest series this year. Animal Crossing, Pokemon (which you later acknowledge making this more silly), an original Mario Kart, and 2D Mario are still available, plus Zelda and Odyssey are undoubtedly going to see sequels. No way it'd suddenly dry up considering they have so many unused series and are actually getting semi-decent third party support. And you can't just have big name games but with months of nothingness inbetween. The smaller titles are very much necessary for keeping hype n momentum.

Nintendo had to bring a lot of the big guns the first year because they couldn't afford a slow start after the Wii U, but now that they've gotten great momentum they don't have to have 4 huge guns every year, just 2 or even 1 can suffice as long as there are plenty of other games releasing each year.

I gave an example of how much first party support wavered in Year 2 of 3DS, despite Nintendo not launching most of their big flagship franchises in Year 1. My fear is to see that happen again, even though they have a lot left to tap into. I seriously doubt Pokemon will see the light of day in 2018, as the last core title is about to be launched.

This is not a scenario of ''I believe next year will be a disaster because launch year has been strong''. It is more about me expressing my apprehension as Year 2 is fast approaching and I want the momentum to keep on going. At least having 2 or 3 ''big guns'' in Q1-Q2. But those are my silly apprehensions because I care.

We're only about halfway through Year 1...

And the 3DS was competing with the Wii U for game development from internal studios in its second year. The Switch will be an only child by this time next year. Let's be confident that Nintendo won't let it's only console going forward face the kinds of draughts some of its previous consoles had to deal with.

MarkkyStorm said:
Shikamo said:

Like I said these are my bets, nothing prevents you guys from creating a list too. :)

And it is quite difficult to predict unannounced games from third parties, so I went to a safer side and of course metal gear and tokyo mirage are more personal desires than reality.

Don't take my comment as a bad thing. I really think you are right (with the exception of MGS).

To irstupid: I really think that the only third party games Nintendo will get in the first one or two years will be ports or exclusive ones. I can't see a Far Cry 5 or Red Dead Redemption 2 coming to Switch, even less in the same day as in the other platforms.

i totally agree with you

(=^・ω・^=) Kuroneko S2 - Ore no Imouto - SteamMyAnimeList and Twitter - PSN: Gustavo_Valim - Switch FC: 6390-8693-0129 (=^・ω・^=)
GhaudePhaede010 said:

U did not rewrite Wii U's history. I said a console is quantified by its games. Wii U has good games? Then the console is worth purchasing. That is not revisionist history; rather, that is the fact. 

Software sells hardware is certainly a true statement but there is alot more to it than just that.

Software output, marketing/advertising, hardware concept, brand/image & price are extremely important in selling a device.

Software output-Wii U frequently had multiple month long droughts between major releases while Switch has had a major 1st/2nd party exclusive basically every month along with a ton of smaller $15-20 indie titles to fill in short gaps.

Marketing/Advertising-Wii U was almost exclusively marketed towards families on childrens networks while Switch is aimed at multiple demographics and advertised all over the place.

Hardware concept-The gamepad really added nothing new or exciting and could only be taken a room or two away from the console which made it come off as a gimmick while the ability to seamlessy transition from home to handheld play is a desirable feature and well executed.

Brand/image-Wii U gamepad had the appearance of a cheap educational children's tablet and was commonly mistaken as an expensive Wii add-on while Switch looks like a sleek and modern device with its own brand.

Price-You may be thinking, "Wii U & Switch both cost $299, how is that good for one but bad for the other?" Well this one relies on the other 4 points. If a device has a steady flow of desirable software, is well marketed, has interesting special features and an attractive form factor than $299 is a solid price but if all those things are lacking than it will be deemed too high.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
GhaudePhaede010 said:

U did not rewrite Wii U's history. I said a console is quantified by its games. Wii U has good games? Then the console is worth purchasing. That is not revisionist history; rather, that is the fact. 

Software sells hardware is certainly a true statement but there is alot more to it than just that.

Software output, marketing/advertising, hardware concept, brand/image & price are extremely important in selling a device.

Software output-Wii U frequently had multiple month long droughts between major releases while Switch has had a major 1st/2nd party exclusive basically every month along with a ton of smaller $15-20 indie titles to fill in short gaps.

Marketing/Advertising-Wii U was almost exclusively marketed towards families on childrens networks while Switch is aimed at multiple demographics and advertised all over the place.

Hardware concept-The gamepad really added nothing new or exciting and could only be taken a room or two away from the console which made it come off as a gimmick while the ability to seamlessy transition from home to handheld play is a desirable feature and well executed.

Brand/image-Wii U gamepad had the appearance of a cheap educational children's tablet and was commonly mistaken as an expensive Wii add-on while Switch looks like a sleek and modern device with its own brand.

Price-You may be thinking, "Wii U & Switch both cost $299, how is that good for one but bad for the other?" Well this one relies on the other 4 points. If a device has a steady flow of desirable software, is well marketed, has interesting special features and an attractive form factor than $299 is a solid price but if all those things are lacking than it will be deemed too high.

Let's also not forget that Nintendo's brand had decayed substantially by the time the Wii U launched as had the Wii brand.  Nintendo had all but stopped marketing during the second half of the seventh gen, allowing their image to go completely out of their hands.  And thus despite closing out the Wii with cult clasic Pandora's Tower, a high-production value RPG from the creator of Final Fantasy in The Last Story, a critically aclaimed epic RPG from Tetsuya Takahashi in Xenoblade Chronicles, and a well received Zelda game, the Wii was almost universally mocked as a super-casual dust collector and Nintendo as a hyper-casual company for children and soccer mom's.  Basically, if you don't write the narrative about your brand, others will.  And that's exactly what happened.  

So Nintendo walked into the Wii U with a gutted brand.

Also, another thing about price:  as a home console, it is easily outclassed at 299.  But as a portable device, you *cannot* match it for that price off the shelf.  You will spend markedly more to get a comparable experience.  So it's actually a good value from that perspective.  And the switching aspect adds value.  

Nuvendil said:
zorg1000 said:

Let's also not forget that Nintendo's brand had decayed substantially by the time the Wii U launched as had the Wii brand.  Nintendo had all but stopped marketing during the second half of the seventh gen, allowing their image to go completely out of their hands.  And thus despite closing out the Wii with cult clasic Pandora's Tower, a high-production value RPG from the creator of Final Fantasy in The Last Story, and a well received Zelda game, the Wii was almost universally mocked as a super-casual dust collector and Nintendo as a hyper-casual company for children and soccer mom's.  Basically, if you don't write the narrative about your brand, others will.  And that's exactly what happened.  

Also, another thing about price:  as a home console, it is easily outclassed at 299.  But as a portable device, you *cannot* match it for that price off the shelf.  You will spend markedly more to get a comparable experience.  So it's actually a good value from that perspective.  And the switching aspect adds value.  

Agreed, i didnt go much into that aspect but i would put that in the brand/image category.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Nuvendil said:

Let's also not forget that Nintendo's brand had decayed substantially by the time the Wii U launched as had the Wii brand.  Nintendo had all but stopped marketing during the second half of the seventh gen, allowing their image to go completely out of their hands.  And thus despite closing out the Wii with cult clasic Pandora's Tower, a high-production value RPG from the creator of Final Fantasy in The Last Story, and a well received Zelda game, the Wii was almost universally mocked as a super-casual dust collector and Nintendo as a hyper-casual company for children and soccer mom's.  Basically, if you don't write the narrative about your brand, others will.  And that's exactly what happened.  

Agreed, i didnt go much into that aspect but i would put that in the brand/image category.

To elaborate more on Nintendo's image near the end of the Wii lifecycle, NOA was really shooting itself in the foot all over the place among the enthusiast gaming community (some might call them hardcore gamers) with the way it handled Xenoblade, The Last Story and Pandora's Tower. Remember Project Rainfall? NOA was basically sending the message that it flat out didn't care about that demographic.

GhaudePhaede010 said:
PAOerfulone said:

It's the fastest route to getting Smash Bros. on the Switch and Smash 4 is already *ahem* smashing with content and incredible fanfare that would make any gamer wet him/herself. 
The community generally feels that Smash Wii U in particular had its legs cut short, and find it quite a shame since it's nearly unanimously agreed that out of the two versions, the Wii U one is the superior, definitive verison (though Smash 3DS has its' pros as well). 

Meanwhile, a brand new Smash Bros. game from scratch would be at least 3-4 years of development and resources if they started today, that puts Smash 5 at around 2020/2021, and I don't think the community doesn't want to wait that long for a new Smash Bros. on the Switch. At that point, Switch 2 would be looming so, Nintendo might even push it even further back to meet the launch of that system.
Additionally, developing and directing Smash 4 took a huge toll on Sakurai, the man was in a sling, working with one arm trying to develop the game. So it's understandable if he's quite burned out and not particularly eager to get back on the helm for a new Smash Bros. just yet. 

Thus, porting the latest version that everyone still clearly cares about makes the most logical and efficient sense. It clearly worked with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.  So 

Smash 4 is on Wii U and 3DS. It is literally on both a home console and a handheld already. Asking for it a third time is just stupid. If there were so many good Wii U titles worth porting, the why the fuck wouldn't people just buy a Wii U? Ughhhhh.

Regardless, I do not want two Smash titles on one console just as I do not want two Mario Kart titles on one console. One title is enough to last four or five years - a generation. Smash 4 is finished at this point. I do not want one out tomorrow, I already have one to play right now. Get me a new one with that Smash quality. I can wait and so can you.

Wii U  was a dumpster fire that costs 300 dollars. No thanks. I'm glad I sat that one out. Some of the games that got released would do better sales wise if they released them on a console that wasn't Wii U. Switch is great from what I hear. I agree with waiting. Smash isn't my thing, but Mario, Metroid and Zelda are. I'm going to get one in 2018 if Nintendo can keep their promises. Bayonetta 1+2 double pack would seal the deal with me. Switch is 400 dollars + 12% tax in Canada, but I can grin and bear it.

Currently (Re-)Playing: Starcraft 2: Legacy of the Void Multiplayer, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Currently Watching: The Shield, Stein's;Gate, Narcos

No mention of Tomodachi life? The last game of that franchise sold 7m+! That could easily be a consideration for 2018.