By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo intends to maintain a steady stream of releases for Switch

guiduc said:

This was my primary concern as I saw this year being packed-in with the biggest first party IPs Nintendo could offer - Zelda, Mario Kart, Splatoon and Mario.

They launched with all guns blazing and now I fear they might dry up or rely on low-tier software to sell their console. Pokemon hasn't seen the light of day and Metroid, let's be a little honest here, is nowhere near a system mover.

I recall the 3DS' year 2, after they went all out with 3D Land and MK7.

Those were the biggest releases: Kid Icarus Uprising, Resident Evil: Revelations, New Super Mario Bros. 2, Kingdom Hearts 3D and Paper Mario. And... yup. Nintendo better take full advantage of merging their businesses.

The Wii knew how to deal with this issue.

There was a 2nd Mario Galaxy game.

Switch just needs a Mario Oddessey 2, and a new Mario Kart 9 game.

Add some filler, by doing some quick ports/remasters, of say Galaxy I & II = done.

Around the Network

In fact, go to the Nintendo store page and itvis clearly listed for a December 1 release date

https://m.store.nintendo.co.uk/nintendo-switch-game/xenoblade-chronicles-2-fan-pack/11568732.html

palou said:

Uhmm... Smash doesn't count?

Course it does, I just forgot to list it. Man if we don't get a port this year we'll probably not even see a Smash game on Switch until 2020.

Nuvendil said:
Nem said:

No... it's 12th of January in europe.

No, it is December 1.  The date on the Nintendo site appears to be a bug or artifact as Nintendo have themselves made it crystal clear in every single solitary other instance that it is December 1.

Ok, if theres an official statement then i stand corrected. They say 12th of january on my usual gaming store, so i incurred in the mistake.

Nem said:
Nuvendil said:

No, it is December 1.  The date on the Nintendo site appears to be a bug or artifact as Nintendo have themselves made it crystal clear in every single solitary other instance that it is December 1.

Ok, if theres an official statement then i stand corrected. The says 12th of january on my usual gaming store, so i incurred in the mistake.

It's a weird date, not sure where it came from or why it is still popping up.

Around the Network

I suspect a lot of unnanounced games will start popping up especially with the 3DS support slowly dwindling. My expectation:

- Animal Crossing
- Mario Party
- Fire Emblem
- Donkey Kong
- Kirby
- Yoshi

Probably a few of these:

- Mario Maker 2/NSMB Switch
- Metroid
- Smash (new or port)
- Pikmin 4
- More switch ports

kopstudent89 said:
I suspect a lot of unnanounced games will start popping up especially with the 3DS support slowly dwindling. My expectation:

- Animal Crossing
- Mario Party
- Fire Emblem
- Donkey Kong
- Kirby
- Yoshi

Probably a few of these:

- Metroid
- Smash (new or port)
- Pikmin 4
- More switch ports

Those four are already announced.

But yea, so many people when thinking of new games only think of console devs and what they are doing.

I'm very curious to see what many of the 3DS devs do.

irstupid said:
kopstudent89 said:

- Animal Crossing
- Mario Party
- Fire Emblem
- Donkey Kong
- Kirby
- Yoshi

Probably a few of these:

- Metroid
- Smash (new or port)
- Pikmin 4
- More switch ports

Those four are already announced.

But yea, so many people when thinking of new games only think of console devs and what they are doing.

I'm very curious to see what many of the 3DS devs do.

Yeah was just listing all the games but I don't think Pokemon will release next year and I'm only hopeful about MEtroid because they didn't release one on the Wii U which probably gives them a 1-2 years of development already

I'm curious to see how Level 5 adapt their games to the Switch. Primarily Yokai Watch.

PSn - greencactaur
Nintendo Switch FC - SW - 5152 - 6393 - 5140 Please feel free to add me :)

Mario, Pokemon, Zelda, Animal Crossing, and now, Splatoon, are what I classify as 'A' tier franchises. Fire Emblem, Kirby, and Yoshi by comparison are nowhere near as big, anticipated, or sell as much as those 5, so yes, I consider them 'B' Tier franchises. If Fire Emblem is over them, then I guess Kirby and Yoshi are 'C' tier franchises, but I consider them above that.
The reason why I say Smash is the 'S' Tier franchise, is because it is clearly Nintendo's most hyped and anticipated one, and it's the crossover of all of their franchises, plus some big 3rd parties. It's Nintendo's Avengers/Justice League.

And while the Switch may not need Smash in 2018, it would certainly help boost the momentum substantially than if it didn't have it.
2017 had Breath of the Wild, Splatoon 2, and 3 Mario games - One of them being Odyssey. That's going to be a VERY tough act to follow.
2018 having Animal Crossing (what I believe will be their big 2018 title) and Yoshi, Kirby, Fire Emblem, AND Smash Bros. to support it would be a solid lineup that would continue and boost the momemtum 2017 gave them, leading to a incredibly strong place for Switch sales to be once 2019 rolls in and Pokemon shows up, most likely.

And I never said anything about development time for past Smash Bros. games being long, if you paid attention to my first comment, you would have known that the main reason they took so long is because Sakurai and Nintendo waited and took a break in between each game. And as I stated earlier, I doubt that was liable to change now, especially since the Switch is doing just fine without Smash 5 at the moment. And like I said, since they approach every new Smash Bros. with a "Can you top what you just did" mentality, rest assured Smash 5 will take just a tad longer to complete than any game that came before it, to say the least.