By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - NeoGAF members welcome!

Keep Neogaf refugees out. We need a complete ban on people from Neogaf, until we can figure what the hell is going on.

Joke post, calm down

Around the Network
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
DeuceGamer said:

What have the majority of the individual posters done for you to make such a statement? Most of us were no different than the average poster on any other forum. That said, I’m seriously considering finding another site. No reason to be here if it’s going to cause animosity.

Bro don't be like that. People just have an archetype in their head for Gaf users. But a lot of users here are cool with you coming here.

Thanks. I just don’t see why people judge individual posters just because of a forum they posted on. Isn’t that exactly why people didn’t like Gaf? Not all of us were like that and plenty of us just wanted a community where we could talk about games we were passionate about.

Machina said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

Bro don't be like that. People just have an archetype in their head for Gaf users. But a lot of users here are cool with you coming here.

Exactly. And I'm sure you'll find that most of the regulars here are friendly and community-spirited if you decide to stick around DeuceGamer. Don't let one or two people generalising about GAF users put you off.

I’m just not interested in causing any controversy. If that’s what it leads to or if we aren’t welcome by the majority of the community then I won’t force it. I’ve actually been a member for a very long time here but since I mostly used the database and only lurked the forums I’m going to be viewed as an outsider. 

I guess I don’t understand judging someone due to a site they were a member of and not the intelligence and contributions of their posts.

Thanks.  said:
I... personally don´t like the idea.... I like VgChartz the way it is.

Why do you think anything would change? I’m sure most former posters are like me and just want a community to join and discuss games and the gaming industry that they are passionate about.

haxxiy said:
Pemalite said:

So you hate those with an opposing view then? ;)

*Hands out tin foiled hats*

Come on Perma, NG had threads dedicated to harassing people in real life, even, digging up post history to flame arguments was allowed by the mods but you could get banned for questioning or sustaining opposing views and so on. You don't get actively disliked by 80-90% of the folks outside because you are being anywhere close to being a reasonable, non-toxic community. The way you thin Mar's post implies "hate" just showcases the sort of straw man, black and white mentality NG thrived on.

To be fair, a lot of us didn’t enter those threads. I specifically avoided the majority of political threads because I knew my politics didn’t always align with Gaf. In fact I frequently disagreed so avoided those threads to avoid a ban and because it wouldn’t have led to any real discussions. Still I enjoyed the (mostly) intelligent conversations around sales and the gaming industry. As I’ve said above, I’m sure there are plenty of posters like me and why we shouldn’t stereotype all posters.

DeuceGamer said:
Majin-Tenshinhan said:
I'd rather not have them here, quite frankly.

What have the majority of the individual posters done for you to make such a statement? Most of us were no different than the average poster on any other forum. That said, I’m seriously considering finding another site. No reason to be here if it’s going to cause animosity.

I think you'll find that basically every site will react the exact same way.

If you're a cool person, great, just go around and be a cool person. If you get butthurt over someone saying they aren't very fond of NeoGAF, even after everything that's happened, all I can do is suggest you try to get rid of that chip on your shoulder. It's not going to do you any favours.

NeoGAF has a terrible reputation for a variety of reasons. Does that apply to every individual poster? No, of course not. But even in your post, you seem to be well aware of why people view the site the way they do. If you're not part of that, then great, why are you taking offense in the first place? It's not like I'm going to (or even can, if I were strange enough to want to) ban you for not liking what I write.

OTBWY said:

Keep Neogaf refugees out. We need a complete ban on people from Neogaf, until we can figure what the hell is going on.

Joke post, calm down

What is there to figure out? The owner done some stupid stuff, again. Why would that change how you feel about some posters that had absolutely nothing to do with it?

Ka-pi96 said:
DeuceGamer said:

Thanks. I just don’t see why people judge individual posters just because of a forum they posted on. Isn’t that exactly why people didn’t like Gaf? Not all of us were like that and plenty of us just wanted a community where we could talk about games we were passionate about.

I don't think anybody would actually judge individuals just because of the forum they posted on. But it is fun to make gaf the butt of jokes, just know that very few people, if any, will think gaf member = x, y & z by default, rather than actually reading what they post and thinking of them as an individual.

Are you sure? The above post I quoted (and many others) have clearly said we should not be welcome simply because of a forum we were members of. Not because of anything we personally posted. Seems like they are judging based on some being members of Neo Gaf, but maybe I’m missing the sarcasm?

Majin-Tenshinhan said:
DeuceGamer said:

I think you'll find that basically every site will react the exact same way.

If you're a cool person, great, just go around and be a cool person. If you get butthurt over someone saying they aren't very fond of NeoGAF, even after everything that's happened, all I can do is suggest you try to get rid of that chip on your shoulder. It's not going to do you any favours.

NeoGAF has a terrible reputation for a variety of reasons. Does that apply to every individual poster? No, of course not. But even in your post, you seem to be well aware of why people view the site the way they do. If you're not part of that, then great, why are you taking offense in the first place? It's not like I'm going to (or even can, if I were strange enough to want to) ban you for not liking what I write.

It’s not the fact that people are saying Neo Gaf was a terrible place that bothers me. It’s the fact that we are already being judged simply because of a website we were members of. I have no issue with anyone making statements about Neo Gaf. I probably agree with a good portion of them but if my presence on this site is not welcome and it’s going to lead to controversy or other issues the. It’s probably best to move on. 

DeuceGamer said:

It’s not the fact that people are saying Neo Gaf was a terrible place that bothers me. It’s the fact that we are already being judged simply because of a website we were members of. I have no issue with anyone making statements about Neo Gaf. I probably agree with a good portion of them but if my presence on this site is not welcome and it’s going to lead to controversy or other issues the. It’s probably best to move on. 

You're probably gonna get that no matter where you go though. However on Vgchartz atleast, if people flame you simply because you're from Neogaf and not because of anything you did or said, then they'll get banned, this I guarantee.

Around the Network
Lawlight said:
think-man said:

Welcome, our Nintendo community is probably the strongest one the site.

Might as well say it's the only community here.

Seems that way to you only, i wonder why smh

DeuceGamer said:
OTBWY said:

Joke post, calm down

What is there to figure out? The owner done some stupid stuff, again. Why would that change how you feel about some posters that had absolutely nothing to do with it?

Completely went over your head m8.

OTBWY said:
DeuceGamer said:

Completely went over your head m8.

Actually I thought it was which is why I asked if I missed the sarcasm, but I couldn’t view what was covered up for some reason. I tried to click on it, but still couldn’t view anything. X

That said, thanks for clarifying and sorry I used your post as an example.  Still it doesn’t change the many other posts in this thread that have made similar statements.

I’d also add that I can see that being a popular response, even in other threads. If that is indeed the case, it will just takeaway from legitimate discussions and be a distraction. Not something I’m keen on doing. 

Lonely_Dolphin said:
DeuceGamer said:

You're probably gonna get that no matter where you go though. However on Vgchartz atleast, if people flame you simply because you're from Neogaf and not because of anything you did or said, then they'll get banned, this I guarantee.

Maybe, but my guess is that there are plenty of former members looking for a Forum and one of them will be welcoming, a new one will open, etc... I would hope other forums would realize there were good members who could do a lot of good in their community and not judge them based on the actions of a few idiots when the only connection is they were members of the same Forum.,

Are that many users migrating here?

My one bit of advice: uBlock origin.

Machina said:
Of course everyone's welcome - be they from GAF or wherever, so long as they follow the rules and leave their antagonism towards this site and its community behind.

Yep.

This.