By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - NeoGAF in shambles (now back, no OT discussion, statement from Evilore)

Can we please drop the political arguments in this thread? Any more and I'll be handing out moderations.

Some of you are so irritating.

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:
Can we please drop the political arguments in this thread? Any more and I'll be handing out moderations.

Some of you are so irritating.

I could kiss you

As for NeoGaf.. I suspect Evilore took the site down himself because he can't seem to handle any sort of criticism. These accusations are nothing new and every time it was ever brought up, a sweep of thread deletions and user bans followed. Now, due to the current climate of discussion on the issue, it can no longer be ignored/tolerated thankfully. It's a shame that the owner is just too selfish to allow others to continue enjoying a service while he deals with issues that he's brought upon himself.

Mr Khan said:
Hi everybody.

Poking my head in for the first time since i wandered off after getting de-Modded. I did end up going to Penny Arcade (by Khuutra's recommendation), and to GAF eventually, though i only really started getting deep in there after the 2016 US elections.

Haven't seen a community that better-reflected my views on things. The reason it collapsed so quickly with the revelations is because the leadership was very invested in creating a better class of environment than too much of the gaming community (not that VGC was ever that bad, thanks to the mods, but the amount of people in this thread using SJW as a pejorative is a huge fucking red flag). I basically lived out of their politics thread, and their views on Nazi-punching were delightful. Spent relatively little time on Gaming-side, not because the interest isn't there anymore (playing as much or more than i ever have been, Switch is awesome), but because the cool discussion was really on the other side. They had a large black community of users and a good-sized cohort of women, and i learned a lot there about respect for marginalized groups and about the experiences of others who aren't me (a young, white, straight, cis-male).

I hope some of the old admins build a new community, but what's gone is gone since forums like there (or here), are a relic in the social media age where discussion is people using places like Nazi-friendly twitter and facebook or just going to Discord. Replacing it might not be a question, because so much of its power was in inertia, though some of the top people clearly had industry connections (through their method of having the mod team verify industry insiders who would carefully leak information) and could be an asset in other places.

It really hurts to see that gone. Shame on EvilLore for taking down such a beautiful thing with him, but good on the mods and admins who were willing to take sexual assault seriously.

Unless the mods know something we don't the recent allegation is very moot and their reaction speaks for itself. What he did comes across as an awkward situation more than anything else. Certainly not "sexual assault" as you put it roflmao

Used to check gaf a lot for gaming sales data and gaming discussion lurking. Never had or wanted a gaf account, though. I’m glad I didn’t more than ever now.

Wonder if they’ll try to revive it under new management, create a successor forum, or just let the ship sink for good. 

This was bound to happen, sooner or later.

If you happen to match the archetype of the perfect enemy of your own base - and have the personality, to boot - you should really expect them to turn on you.

It's a shame NeoGAF had to die for Evilore to lean this lesson, but, alas, NeoGAF has far outlived its purpose as a containment forum.

I WON A BET AGAINST AZUREN! WOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:3

Around the Network

http://geonaf.com/

I believe that's their new site if it hasnt been posted already.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Mr Khan said:
Hi everybody.

Poking my head in for the first time since i wandered off after getting de-Modded. I did end up going to Penny Arcade (by Khuutra's recommendation), and to GAF eventually, though i only really started getting deep in there after the 2016 US elections.

Haven't seen a community that better-reflected my views on things. The reason it collapsed so quickly with the revelations is because the leadership was very invested in creating a better class of environment than too much of the gaming community (not that VGC was ever that bad, thanks to the mods, but the amount of people in this thread using SJW as a pejorative is a huge fucking red flag). I basically lived out of their politics thread, and their views on Nazi-punching were delightful. Spent relatively little time on Gaming-side, not because the interest isn't there anymore (playing as much or more than i ever have been, Switch is awesome), but because the cool discussion was really on the other side. They had a large black community of users and a good-sized cohort of women, and i learned a lot there about respect for marginalized groups and about the experiences of others who aren't me (a young, white, straight, cis-male).

I hope some of the old admins build a new community, but what's gone is gone since forums like there (or here), are a relic in the social media age where discussion is people using places like Nazi-friendly twitter and facebook or just going to Discord. Replacing it might not be a question, because so much of its power was in inertia, though some of the top people clearly had industry connections (through their method of having the mod team verify industry insiders who would carefully leak information) and could be an asset in other places.

It really hurts to see that gone. Shame on EvilLore for taking down such a beautiful thing with him, but good on the mods and admins who were willing to take sexual assault seriously.

Going to a gaming forum to discuss...politics. I've always found that bit interesting.

You speak as if your heart is in the right place, so I hope that you don't find yourself in hot water any time soon.

I WON A BET AGAINST AZUREN! WOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:3

Captain_Yuri said:

It's not an official successor, and I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't last long.

Captain_Yuri said:

I signed up. If anything happens to this site like happened to neogaf in 10 years, at least I'll have been around since day 0.

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

Mr Khan said:
Hi everybody.

While we didn't always agree on things on this forum, I want to say that this is a brilliant post..

While I didn't generally agree with the way they handled moderation and the entire echo chamber and dogpiling thing they had going on, the Off Topic Communities were what made GAF a step above many other forums for discussing, well, anything. That side of the forum will be missed greatly for me, it offered something that you don't see on other forums, or the likes of Reddit and social media and had some brilliant members. 

Oh, and tell Khuutra I said hello. I know who he is over on Penny Arcade but I've never actually made an account over there. He was the one who inspired me to change the way I was on these forums.