By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - After BotW: Can you still enjoy older Zelda games?

Most definitely. Zelda is among a handful of franchises that you can still play and enjoy their previous games.

I will never get bored of A Link to the Past.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
Mandalore76 said:

Isn't the whole point of the Divine Beasts Quests that Link needs help to enter them from the decendents of the great champions just as much as they need him to conquer them?  There is a very purposeful sense of teamwork involved in those quests.  The whole point of the Gerudo quest is that Link can't get close enough to Vah Naboris without the help of Riju and the Thunder Helm.  And the other three quests involve similar levels of teamwork.  The story of Breath of the Wild isn't that Link goes it alone and saves all of Hyrule with no help from anyone.  I think the story and game are all the better for that.  The Vah Ruta battle wouldn't have been anywhere near as epic if teaming up with Sidon could be replaced by simply sailing a raft over and climbing inside.  Same goes with all the other quests in my opinion.

To some extent yeah, but moreso the actual whole point of the game is freedom and always allowing you to do things how you see fit and dealing with the consequences that come from that. So, in a game that is so hellbent on letting you do whatever you want, it's pretty dumb for it to just stop you with nonsense barriers with the dungeons. Allowing experienced/smart players to skip things wouldn't harm the game or its story, it would just add an extra option that most first-timers wouldn't even know about. There's plenty of ways you can go about opening these dungeons up without making them too easy to get in.

For Naboris for example, you have to carefully time a jump and fly all the way from the ridiculously far away mountains and have loads of stamina. For Medoh, you'd have to build a flying machine or maybe they could have something a little bit more intentional, but still extremely hard, and so on. Both of these dungeons can be accessed in these ways as of right now, but when you get to them they just won't load and are useless until you do their whole quest. All of that is just boring, and contradictory for a game that made such a big fuss with the whole "you can go straight to Ganon!" thing, but you can't go straight to the Divine Beasts because plot. I mean, if "ruining the story" was an issue, they shouldn't allow you to go straight to Ganon either, right?

You are allowed to skip things.  You can skip the Divine Beasts and "go straight to Ganon".  (Sorry in advance for the dickish response, I couldn't resist.) 

But, back to my point, if there were ways to enter the Divine Beasts that did not require the aid of the decendants of the great champions, I really do think the entire story of the game would be massively diminished.  Like I said, those quests are about teamwork.  An overpowered Link that doesn't need to meet anyone, doesn't need to talk to anyone, doesn't need to enlist anyone's aid to accomplish certain (but not all) tasks, doesn't sound like an enjoyable game.  I don't see them as barriers just for the sake of being barriers.  They very purposefully want you to know that in certain situation Link is going to need a helping hand from someone.  That doesn't diminish the game for me in any way.  Yes, you can go straight to Ganon.  And, you will die.  And the lesson there is that it is going to take more than just Link to defeat Ganon.

Yes, if it means a Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time.

Conina said:
TomaTito said:

You did good with your purchase, with the savings I'd purchase SMO from amazon.fr which is currently at 45eur.

Thanks! Plus shipping to Germany it's €48.33, but with a free Prime trial the price goes down to €46.33.

No probs! Enjoy a great console with some excellent games!

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Easily. BOTW is a great game but it ranks 5th on my list of Zelda titles. I actually enjoy the old styles better.

Around the Network
V-r0cK said:
Most definitely. Zelda is among a handful of franchises that you can still play and enjoy their previous games.

I will never get bored of A Link to the Past.

That's because Link to the Past is a great paced Zelda game, like Breath of the Wild. Much of the game feels focused on a beautiful rendition of Hyrule, while many of the later Zelda games are exceedingly dungeon focused.

In my opinion, the problematic games are the other 3D Zeldas. Particularly Skyward Sword, Twilight Princess, and Wind Waker, which are excessively sluggish, and have incrediblty bad pacing issues. My other big issue with them is that the overworld in those games are not a place you really "live" in like Link to the Past and Breath of the Wild, they're obstacle courses between dungeons and whatever town/towns to give you context for those dungeons. Link to the Past and Breath of the Wild are much more vibrant.

Ocarina of Time was a great move into the 3D space, and Majora's Mask was an interesting and creative take on how the world revolves (but Majora's Mask is more or less a really high quality spinoff based on Ocarina of Time; it's like Link's Awakening in that respect). The issue was that the series moved in the bad directions from the N64 onward. The team focused on expanding the parts of the game that didn't need expanding, and made the whole item + dungeon thing take much longer and have more focus than in previous games until the franchise felt like a very slow paced slog. This continued until they began rethinking the direction with Link Between Worlds.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.