By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - After BotW: Can you still enjoy older Zelda games?

Just played all the way through Link to the Past on SNESC and it was as good as ever. Such a masterpiece

Around the Network
TomaTito said:

BTW, I also bought the amazon BotW to go with the console gift, whenever I buy that one.
Thinking in getting the SMO bundle that has the red joycons.

Yeah, I also preordered the SMO-bundle at first... I love the "mario red" color of the Joy-Cons, seems to be the same red tone as my 3DS XL.

But €389 (SMO bundle, game only a digital code) or  €325 (Switch + BotW)... for these €64 difference I can buy the retail version of SMO or a pair of red Joy-Cons or a Switch Pro controller.

Yes. The controls and game design of the older Zelda games are still very good. And the new features that make certain older Zeldas feel a little dated in comparison to me were introduced in Skyward Sword (like dashing, it was a little hard to go back to slow jogging and slow climbing in Twlight Princess after SS).

I prefer the 2d Zelda games more than BOTW. So yes I still enjoy them.

Definitely: I play Zelda games for the puzzles and dungeons.

Around the Network
archer9234 said:
Volterra_90 said:

But BotW open-world structure is something else. I'd love that developers learn some things about BotW and specially how a open-world must feel. 

I can go back to any of the older Zelda games. Because one game doesn't replace them.

For me, BOTW still wasn't open enough. I want it more opened for my play style.

Interesting, I thought it was as open as it could get, since you could go anywhere when you get the Paraglider; and it's pretty open in the sense that you can toy with the physics a lot. But, my question is, how would you do to make it feel more opened? I think that, as for today, this game was unparalelled in this sense. 

Volterra_90 said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:
Oh yeah, you should definitely be able to enjoy them. Obviously the Zelda games between 1993 and 2013 play differently from Breath of the Wild, but that doesn't mean they're skippable. I'd argue BotW is the best Zelda game, by virtue of its emergent gameplay, improvisational combat, and first-class open world, but Zelda games like Majora's Mask or Twilight Princess have great qualities unique to them.

I find it harder to go back to open-world games after BotW, but see no problem returning to older Zelda titles.

That was my "problem" with the game. I've played Horizon: Zero Dawn after BotW, and though I really enjoyed the game, it felt really limited and constricted. Same with The Witcher 3. Both are great, don't get me wrong. But BotW open-world structure is something else. I'd love that developers learn some things about BotW and specially how a open-world must feel. 

BotW just feels so... free. The climbing mechanic was a game changer. It is truly a game that can tout, "If you see it, you can go there". The exploration is something that EVERY open world game can learn from. I thought people were exaggerating. This game is head and shoulders above the rest of the ilk in the genre. 

Oh yes, definitely. I'm hoping they don't completely abandon 2D/2.5D Zeldas like Link Between Worlds; I'd hate to lose those types of tightly designed games completely.

Not a problem for me. Did Ocarina of Time 3D from start to finish after Breath of the Wild. Still as good as ever.

mZuzek said:
Volterra_90 said:

Interesting, I thought it was as open as it could get, since you could go anywhere when you get the Paraglider; and it's pretty open in the sense that you can toy with the physics a lot. But, my question is, how would you do to make it feel more opened? I think that, as for today, this game was unparalelled in this sense. 

Well this is nitpicking, but personally I don't like how the game has plot barriers stopping you from getting inside the Divine Beasts without doing their entire quests, or how for example if you go to the Yiga Clan before starting the quest there's just nothing to be found there. It'd be cool if say, you could enter Naboris without doing any of the Gerudo quest, but that means you have to complete the dungeon evading lightning and stuff.

Didn't know about the Yiga Clan, but, yeah, agreed on the rest. I think these are exceptions as you said, but it could be even more open. It has a main quest structure, but they could totally ditch that in order to make it feel even more free.