By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Is it time to worry about Austria again?

Who should I vote?

ÖVP 16 12.40%

SPÖ 13 10.08%

FPÖ 39 30.23%

Grüne 16 12.40%

NEOS 3 2.33%

Other 4 3.10%

Don't vote 13 10.08%

Scoreboard 25 19.38%

Total:129
Vinther1991 said:
RolStoppable said:

What is it then?

It’s a tool to integrate muslims better into western society, and get rid of the parallel-society we have gotten in Europe. A woman wearing a burqa can’t get a job or interact well with western civilisation in any way. With a burqa ban you clearly show that if you decide to live in Europe, you live in accordance with European culture and leave the female-opressive elements of your middle-eastern culture and religion behind

Yeah look I agree but people like Rol are entitled to say the burca should be allowed. Personally I think they should be allowed cover their heads not their faces.  Like if an Irish person goes walking down town wearing a balaclava I'd prefer the police tell him to remove it. 

But these people who argue Europe should let them do what they want lose all legitimacy if they don't also equally argue Muslim countries should be completely acceptable of us.  Because we have much stricter rules to follow in their countries then they do here. 

Around the Network

forest-spirit said:
Vinther1991 said:

It’s a tool to integrate muslims better into western society, and get rid of the parallel-society we have gotten in Europe. A woman wearing a burqa can’t get a job or interact well with western civilisation in any way. With a burqa ban you clearly show that if you decide to live in Europe, you live in accordance with European culture and leave the female-opressive elements of your middle-eastern culture and religion behind

I most certainly view burqas as a symbol of oppression but I have trouble understanding how a ban is going to help those women. They wear burqas because they aren't allowed to show anything but their eyes, so what's going to happen if they no longer are allowed to wear them? One outcome is that they won't be allowed to go outside at all, which will make them more or less prisoners in their homes and thus make it even harder for them to become part of society. We already have enough problems with muslims (women in particular) having a rough time (to say the least) moving outside of these spheres of influence that the more orthodox have created.

It's not ideal that they wear those baking ovens but it'll at least make sure that those women may go outside and be part of society, even if there's a wall of black sheet between them and other people. Outside there's the chance that they be influenced by the world around them to the point that dangerous ideas start to pop up that eventually leads them to throw away the burqa out of their own free will.

I believe it's better to get rid of burqas by getting women to choose not to wear them. It'll take more time for sure but this is about changing or breaking traditions and in those cases you have to think longterm. A ban can be counter-productive and since it's difficult (or impossible) to just target burqas you end up with some mindboggling law like what they got in Austria. Plus, women might get mad when you tell them what they can or can not do.

OT:

Sucks that the FPÖ goons have so much support.

Pilz should change name to Pilzner for better impact.

That’s a good point. If they stay at home instead, the law is a failure. But if it means they can’t get unemployment benefits or other velfare payments, I think most will get out. Alternatively, other laws can be made to force them to get out and interact with society to some extent. Also, I don’t want this law only to deal with the burqa problem there already is, but also to show men from the middle east, that they are not welcome if they want to pack their wives into burqas.

RolStoppable said:
Vinther1991 said:

You just said the motivation for the ban was racist, not why you viewed it as such. A burqa is not a race.

I never put burqas and pedophilia on the same level. I used an example to illustrate that just because a problem affect few, it can still be a problem that should be dealt with. But anyway, both pedophilia and oppression of women are terribly bad things, that should be dealt with.

Even the articles about the burqa ban point out that the law was passed to appease xenophobes, so I am not doing some wild guessing here. Yes, a burqa is not a race, but nobody in this thread claimed that a burqa is a race.

If you use an example, it should make sense. If you use something as serious and deplorable as pedophilia to make the point that burqas need to be dealt with, then it comes with the implication that both are on a similar enough level to justify such a comparison as an example.

Where you are very mistaken is your perception of burqas. For one, there are women who want to wear one, so not every case is one of oppression of women. And two, banning the burqa is not doing a service to oppressed women. It's a law that completely misses the mark. Here's why:

Who oppresses women? It would be men. It is men who tell their wives and daughters to wear a burqa in public. If you now prohibit burqas in public, you aren't giving freedom to these women. What happens instead is that the men won't allow their wives and daughters to leave the house anymore, so in reality a burqa ban amplifies the oppression of women because it fails to address the root cause. Anyone who supports a burqa ban is ignorant or naive at best.

So the articles agree with you, but does the People’s in the parlement who voted for it. Is it impossible in your mind that a non-xenophobe/racist could want a burqa ban.

Is it because you didn’t get my point, that a problem can be serious even if it only affects few, that you attack the comparison? No pedophilia and burqas are not on the same level, that wasn’t my point, I’m sorry if you understood it that way. So since we agree they are not on the same level, can you adress my point instead?

Just because some women want to wear it, doesn’t mean that they should be allowed to. They basicly remove themselves from the job market that way. And they are basicly advertising for the female oppressive ideas in Islam. Voluntarily wearing something women in other countries fight with their lives to get rid of.

Your last point I addressed in my responce to forest-spirit.

11 votes for die Grünen? This is even an even more severe case of trolling than admitting 24 votes to the FPÖ.

Lyrics: He He He He Ha Ha Ha!                                                                  

Kerotan said:
Vinther1991 said:

Yeah look I agree but people like Rol are entitled to say the burca should be allowed. Personally I think they should be allowed cover their heads not their faces.  Like if an Irish person goes walking down town wearing a balaclava I'd prefer the police tell him to remove it. 

But these people who argue Europe should let them do what they want lose all legitimacy if they don't also equally argue Muslim countries should be completely acceptable of us.  Because we have much stricter rules to follow in their countries then they do here. 

Of course they are entitled to their opinion, I just disagree with them.

You seem to get the challenge we are facing.

Ideally we could make people do as they like and they would integrate themselves, I used to think that would be the solution, it’s very sympathetic, but it doesn’t work. It’s the tactic we have used the past 50 years without success. Which has resulted in the parallel-society we have, where the darker sides of islam and middle eastern culture, like jew hate, homosexual hate and oppression of women, is way too common.

Around the Network
Zisbest said:
11 votes for die Grünen? This is even an even more severe case of trolling than admitting 24 votes to the FPÖ.

What's wrong with die Grünen?

Flilix said:
Zisbest said:

What's wrong with die Grünen?

Their former representative, Eva Glawischnig, in my opinion is amongst the most unlikeable politicians ever. But seeing how Ulrike Lunacek turned out as their new head in 2017, she may actually take the cake in that regard.

Besides that, on a local level - the green party often raises their voice against new infrastructure or tourism projects (which they have every right to do so) only problem is - they're only ever making themselves heard of after the projects have been already established.

Makes them look more like a party seeking attention only when given the opportunity rather than contributing to society in an effective way.

(I'm also not too fond of their approach to immigration, but I guess that should do for now.)

Lyrics: He He He He Ha Ha Ha!                                                                  

Vinther1991 said:
RolStoppable said:

What is it then?

There's just a problem with this: It's not working as such. The result is that the women who are wearing burqa or niqab are seldom doing so on their own free will, but it's the only way their husbands would let them leave their home. Now when these are forbidden, they are basically trapped in their own homes, and even more dependent to their husbands than they where before. You are not seeing women in burqa in a country with a ban because it's working, but because these women will never leave their houses ever again - the law has emprisoned them in their own homes.

Vinther1991 said:
Kerotan said:

Of course they are entitled to their opinion, I just disagree with them.

You seem to get the challenge we are facing.

Ideally we could make people do as they like and they would integrate themselves, I used to think that would be the solution, it’s very sympathetic, but it doesn’t work. It’s the tactic we have used the past 50 years without success. Which has resulted in the parallel-society we have, where the darker sides of islam and middle eastern culture, like jew hate, homosexual hate and oppression of women, is way too common.

Well the jew hate,  gay hate and less respect for women is really worrying.  I just hope these Muslim kids growing up now have less of it then their parents from wherever they came from.  And if every generation after has less of it then eventually it will be gone.  

Now we have plenty of jew haters,  gay haters and men who don't respect woman from Europe too so it's not exclusively a Muslim problem. 

RolStoppable said:

Supporters of the burqa ban fall into more categories than xenophobes and racists. One of them are the people in the parlament who use it as a defense to prevent the FPÖ from gaining more traction. Then there are the groups of ignorant or naive people that I mentioned in my previous post.

I am not sure what your point is. Right now it looks like you are an intolerant person who doesn't care about the people who would be affected by laws and at the same time gets offended that he is getting called out for it, hence why this discussion started in the first place. And that...

That is absolutely not true, there are no people I don't care about. It is you who constantly bring up the number 150, as if because they are few, they are not worth caring about. I legetimately think that a burqa ban can help some of these women integrate better into society, especially if other laws can help them get out of their ghetto and interact more with the native society.

RolStoppable said:
Vinther1991 said:

That’s a good point. If they stay at home instead, the law is a failure. But if it means they can’t get unemployment benefits or other velfare payments, I think most will get out. Alternatively, other laws can be made to force them to get out and interact with society to some extent. Also, I don’t want this law only to deal with the burqa problem there already is, but also to show men from the middle east, that they are not welcome if they want to pack their wives into burqas.

...can be seen here. Your solution to a nonsensical law such as the burqa ban in Austria is to introduce more headscratching laws. I've pointed out the estimate of around 150 women who wear a burqa in Austria, but you keep playing it up as a problem so severe that it necessitates the introduction of multiple laws. Ultra-conservative muslims who settle here are small in numbers and they have no chance to grow their ideas, because their family members are going to see our society and the rights that women have, so the daughters are likely to break free and the idea of the burqa will ultimately die with the old men.

So any law that is forcing muslim women to get out and interact with society is automatically headscratching to you? Is it headscratching to require that people attend meetings at for instance the city hall to get unemployment benefits. Is it nonsensical to require that they take a language class to keep their residence permit? There are a lot of reasonable ways to basicly drag them out of their houses and ghettos, against their husbands will if necessary.

But it seems that for you and a lot of other people on the left wing, it is so so terrible to require anything of the people who choose to migrate to our countries.

We are dealing with problems of the parallel-society we have created, muslims are overrepresented in crime statistics,  a lot more muslims have negative views on jews and homosexuals compared to the native people, and a lot more muslims treat women as inferior. Turkish immigrants are supporting Erdogan in abundance. The list of problems is massive, and a lot of it can be traced to the fact that we haven't made it absolutely clear that you have to adapt to western values when you move here.

Either you are blind to all those problems, or you lack the balls to come up with some solution for them, and instead you trash the people who do look for a solution and find one that is admittably flawed, could be it won't help as intended, but is definitely worth trying out, since we don't have any better. And yes sure, we do put a restriction on a human right that says people are allowed to wear whatever they want, but nobody are getting their lives destroyed because they aren't allowed to wear a burqa. Sometimes you need to create a minor problem to deal with a bigger one. And I think that a burqa ban doesn't only affect the 150 who wear a burqa, but it also sends a clear signal that we are against the mentality that women are not allowed to show any of their body to other men than their husbands, which could keep some of those muslims, who are nearly impossible to integrate, out of our countries.