By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Is it time to worry about Austria again?

Who should I vote?

ÖVP 16 12.40%

SPÖ 13 10.08%

FPÖ 39 30.23%

Grüne 16 12.40%

NEOS 3 2.33%

Other 4 3.10%

Don't vote 13 10.08%

Scoreboard 25 19.38%

Total:129
RolStoppable said:
Vinther1991 said:

I said a burqa ban was a good idea (and not racist, you still didn’t explain why it is) I didn’t endorse the way it was implemented in Austria. There is a, I might say, ‘dated’ and unnuanced human right that prohibit any sort of discrimination of a religion, which is why they made the law this way. They could probably still modify it so it works as intended.

The fact that a burqa ban would only target 150 or so is a bad argument not to make it. If only 150 were affected by pedophilia, should that then be legal? A small step in the right direction is still a step in the right direction. Besides, it also has a strong signal value, that we don’t accept religiosly justified female opression.

I explained in the OP why the burqa ban in Austria has racist motivations. I explained it again to you. What more could I do?

When you try to tell someone else what a bad argument is, you shouldn't immediately follow it up by putting a burqa and pedophilia on the same level. You should be ashamed of yourself.

You just said the motivation for the ban was racist, not why you viewed it as such. A burqa is not a race.

I never put burqas and pedophilia on the same level. I used an example to illustrate that just because a problem affect few, it can still be a problem that should be dealt with. But anyway, both pedophilia and oppression of women are terribly bad things, that should be dealt with.

Around the Network
Vinther1991 said:
RolStoppable said:

What is it then?

It’s a tool to integrate muslims better into western society, and get rid of the parallel-society we have gotten in Europe. A woman wearing a burqa can’t get a job or interact well with western civilisation in any way. With a burqa ban you clearly show that if you decide to live in Europe, you live in accordance with European culture and leave the female-opressive elements of your middle-eastern culture and religion behind

I most certainly view burqas as a symbol of oppression but I have trouble understanding how a ban is going to help those women. They wear burqas because they aren't allowed to show anything but their eyes, so what's going to happen if they no longer are allowed to wear them? One outcome is that they won't be allowed to go outside at all, which will make them more or less prisoners in their homes and thus make it even harder for them to become part of society. We already have enough problems with muslims (women in particular) having a rough time (to say the least) moving outside of these spheres of influence that the more orthodox have created.

It's not ideal that they wear those baking ovens but it'll at least make sure that those women may go outside and be part of society, even if there's a wall of black sheet between them and other people. Outside there's the chance that they be influenced by the world around them to the point that dangerous ideas start to pop up that eventually leads them to throw away the burqa out of their own free will.

I believe it's better to get rid of burqas by getting women to choose not to wear them. It'll take more time for sure but this is about changing or breaking traditions and in those cases you have to think longterm. A ban can be counter-productive and since it's difficult (or impossible) to just target burqas you end up with some mindboggling law like what they got in Austria. Plus, women might get mad when you tell them what they can or can not do.

OT:

Sucks that the FPÖ goons have so much support.

Pilz should change name to Pilzner for better impact.

RolStoppable said:
Vinther1991 said:
The first thing you should worry about is your rhetoric. A burqa ban is not racist

What is it then?

It discriminates against one of the most persecuted minorities in Austrian society - so persecuted, in fact, that merely being one is subject to criminal penalty!

I am referring, of course, to bank robbers.

I can go into further detail if you desire.

I WON A BET AGAINST AZUREN! WOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:3

You should be glad that VGChartz isn't a great representation of the Austrian people.

Oh look, the FPÖ/AFD fan with his VPN participated at the poll again.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:

So what's next for Austria in the near future is that there is going to be a referendum to join Germany. I don't want to live in the same country as vivster. I wish I was overexaggerating, but this isn't like the presidential election last year where a positive outcome was more probable than a negative outcome.

A referendum to join Germany?! I didn’t know it was this bad. Hilarious. Fortunately no one in Germany wants Austria in, can’t Image they want it likewise, but what about Austria takes Bavaria from us?! /s

Ironically even as a German I have experienced several xenophobic attacks during my life, when being in Austria, so I’m not surprised about the high FPÖ rankings.

Concerning the votes...I’ve recently been to Austria and the clever marketing team the FPÖ uses seems similar to the AfD in Germany. With having Kurz (dat name lol) at their front row, he seems like an overly ambitious nationalist. Which definitely is a bit worrying on my side, since we’ve had our share of that type already. 

Errorist76 said:

You think they'd go through that kind of trouble for a VGC poll?

Vinther1991 said:
RolStoppable said:

What is it then?

It’s a tool to integrate muslims better into western society, and get rid of the parallel-society we have gotten in Europe. A woman wearing a burqa can’t get a job or interact well with western civilisation in any way. With a burqa ban you clearly show that if you decide to live in Europe, you live in accordance with European culture and leave the female-opressive elements of your middle-eastern culture and religion behind

That’s naive thinking. All it does is isolate those even more from society. They’ll hide away. Great job..pure ignorance as far as I’m concerned.

forest-spirit said:
Errorist76 said:

Someone here does. Did it for the AfD poll already, a few weeks back. Not much trouble at all btw.

Errorist76 said:
forest-spirit said:

Someone here does. Did it for the AfD poll already, a few weeks back. Not much trouble at all btw.

Welp, every victory counts I guess.