By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - First Super Mario Odyssey Review in! (EDGE)

Jranation said:
TruckOSaurus said:
Not to rain on anyone's parade but a 95+ score is not guaranteed because one usually harsh critic has given the game a perfect score. It's a good sign for sure but let's not get carried away.

Zelda got 97 though....... 

Not sure how Zelda's score will influence Mario's score but all I'm saying is that a 10 from EDGE is not a guarantee of a 95+ score for the game when all is said and done. Bloodborne got 92, Bayonetta 2 got 91, Skyward Sword got 93, etc.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network
TruckOSaurus said:
Jranation said:

Zelda got 97 though....... 

Not sure how Zelda's score will influence Mario's score but all I'm saying is that a 10 from EDGE is not a guarantee of a 95+ score for the game when all is said and done. Bloodborne got 92, Bayonetta 2 got 91, Skyward Sword got 93, etc.

Oh! Thats what you mean! And yeah you are right

Pocky Lover Boy! 

TruckOSaurus said:
Not to rain on anyone's parade but a 95+ score is not guaranteed because one usually harsh critic has given the game a perfect score. It's a good sign for sure but let's not get carried away.

Its guaranteed not because of EDGE/1review, but because its SMO ;) 95 is too low, itll score a 99 based on this... http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=229467&page=1

This is a great sign, and from what I've seen of the game it will probably deserve it. Interested to see when more reviews flow in, but I'm getting the game no matter what anyway.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 156 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

I'm calling it. This is going to be one of the greatest games in history.

Around the Network
TruckOSaurus said:

Eh... 3D World got a 93, do you honestly think Super Mario Odyssey won't be able to do better? I mean I know it is not guaranteed but... even without the knowledge of a 100 from EDGE, it kind of basically always was unless some reviewer gives it a clickbait review score of 30 or something.

TruckOSaurus said:

I wouldn't even say "usually harsh".  EDGE is infamous for loving certain types of games but low-balling others. 

Whether you "trust" EDGE or not probably depends on what kind of games you like.

pokoko said:
TruckOSaurus said:

I wouldn't even say "usually harsh".  EDGE is infamous for loving certain types of games but low-balling others. 

Whether you "trust" EDGE or not probably depends on what kind of games you like.

Is it because mario (3d) ans zelda have 3 perfect scores people say this? I mean every1 last gen were saying SMG/TLoU are the GoaT (like in agreement) SM64/LoZ OoT are self explanatory. Skyward Sword i can see people getting somewhat worked up over but even that they only gave 20 10/10 scores away.

3D Mario Games made: 6 (7 if remake ds counts) and 3 got perfect scores on EDGE.

Zelda Games: over 20, 3 of which are perfect scores. (If only 3D zelda then 3 out of 6)

I mean are they really infamous for doing that? (I dont kno EDGE too well)

tbone51 said:
pokoko said:

Is it because mario (3d) ans zelda have 3 perfect scores people say this? I mean every1 last gen were saying SMG/TLoU are the GoaT (like in agreement) SM64/LoZ OoT are self explanatory. Skyward Sword i can see people getting somewhat worked up over but even that they only gave 20 10/10 scores away.

3D Mario Games made: 6 (7 if remake ds counts) and 3 got perfect scores on EDGE.

Zelda Games: over 20, 3 of which are perfect scores. (If only 3D zelda then 3 out of 6)

I mean are they really infamous for doing that? (I dont kno EDGE too well)

They're not really known for doing what he said people just don't understand how they mark their game, my post from earlier.

"Being a great game doesn't guarantee you a 10 in Edge as they also look at what innovations are added, what the game does with its formula, design, art direction and for the genre as well as great execution being as Edge is an industry magazine not a consumer one, all the games given 10s so far by them can be argued to have done so. The omitted games you brought up are great games but techically didn't check all the boxes for a 10, for example Bioshock borrows from System Shock, Metroid Prime's control set up was a bit tedious for some people which could hamper play, RDR is the usual R* formula in a different setting. Only Xenoblade and Deus Ex can really be argued in the sense of ticking all boxes.

Only game I really disagree with is GTAIV but it can be argued otherwise as mentioned because of the more industrial focus of Edge."

People think they have a thing for 3D Mario and Zelda when truth of the matter is those two sets of games are just consistent due to their design approach of coming up with the gameplay mechanics first then building the game around the mechanics.

TruckOSaurus said:

The real reason 95+ is such a safe bet is because only one 3d Mario game has failed to hit that mark (3D World/Land are hybrids).