By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5 Will Release Early 2019 (Opinion)

makes no sense to release at any time in 2019, let alone early 2019

Sales - PS4 is set to have another year of 17/18m sales. Next year will be a few million down as it would be the fifth full year, but it will still sell 12m at least. Which means by the end of 2018, you are looking at a console that is selling over 10m a year still and has an install base of 80-85m. No reason to throw that away

Games - First party games like Last of Us 2, Sucker Punch's game, Death Stranding won't be ready by then. I don't think Sony would want to move all of these to cross gen games that come out late, well after the PS4 has been replaced by the PS5. These last few years have shown us how profitable it is to either sell the game on each console with a gap inbetween (last of Us) or as cross-gen launch game (Zelda). Also, a 2020 release would be far better for their first party studios. It means studios like Guerrilla, Quantic, Santa Monica, Polyphony can all have a good amount of time to work on their next game and release it in the PS5's first 12-18 months.

Power - Xbox isn't going to release another console for three years imo. That gives Sony until holiday 2020. No use rushing out a console in early 2019 to get a power advantage back when you could nearly two years. Let;s be real, if Sony don't fuck up, they barely have to worry about MS anyway. Even if they both release in holiday 2020, Sony will win comfortably as long as they don't monumentally fuck up. Also gives people more time to upgrade to 4k TVs, which will make the console an easier sell. Also gives Sony more time to develop PSVR 2.0 headset, which will likely release at some point in PS5's lifetime

no reason to rush. i don't think they will feel any pressure from Xbox X

Around the Network

This is actually fairly feasible. I will be honest I was/am expecting late 2019/early 2020 though

Early 2019 would be an awkward time to release and there's no real reason to do so. The PS4 is doing well, there's no real competition from Microsoft at the moment and 4K adoption needs to increase. They might as well until 2020 for Navi and Zen 2.

Nem said:

Releasing first doesn't garantee you will win.

The difficult part will be to convince people on why they need to upgrade. 4k TV's are still way too expensive. I'd get sold by the 60fps, but many don't. A noticeable technological leap is necessary.

4K tvs are cheaper now (and will be even cheaper then) than 720P/1080P tvs were when the PS3/360 launched. In 2006 (right after the PS3 launch) it was 1100$ for a 1080P 32" tv (Still have it and it still works great :P)

Also 4K tvs are not very expensive at all anymore..... My 4K tv was 450$ last year for a 50" with HDR

https://www.amazon.com/TCL-49S405-49-Inch-Ultra-Smart/dp/B01MYGISTO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1506960530&sr=8-3&keywords=4k+roku+tv

ironmanDX said:

Sony didn't force Microsofts hand at all. They had a "scorpio" to release in 2016 but decided against it.
https://www.vg247.com/2017/04/12/xbox-scorpio-couldve-released-in-2016-but-microsoft-didnt-want-to-forsake-framerate-for-4k/

If anything, the pro seems rushed in comparison to the X. Sony releasing the ps5 early 2019 will likely play into Microsoft's hands giving them a head start. The console won't be powerful enough to push Xbox one X in terms of a generational leap. Xbox would be the entry level console, running the same games at a fraction of the cost. Though, the ps5 versions would run better. It would be little over a year from one release to the next.

There won't be a ps5 or Xbox infinite until 2020.

This^

Also, the first paragraph devlidated the op, so I really can't take anything he said after that seriously.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Around the Network

Sony will milk PS4 as long as they can (Opinion)

November 2020.

If PS5 was only 14-16 months away you'd be hearing all kinds of rumors and leaks. The legit leaks start coming at least 18 months in advance. We have seen this with Xbone, XboneX, PS4, PSVR, PS4 Pro.

PS4 wil continue to sell great for the next 3 years. The biggest games have yet to arrive, God of War, Spider Man, RDR2, TLOU2, Death Stranding etc If for some reason sales tanked next year Sony would still not rush out a console in 2019. They will stick to their plain, which is imo late 2020. And yeah, the neXbone will prolly also be 2020.

PS5 specz:

-15Tflopz AMD Navi GPU

-Zen 2  12 core 2.8Ghz

-32GB GDDR6/low cost HBM/3

True next gen

I just hope they settle at 1800p and checkerboard to 4K, barely any difference with native 4K.

better graphics>resolution

If the Pro made MS react "much sooner than they wanted", then what was MS's plan? Like, a 2019 Xbone upgrade? Why would that make any sense? We have seen Papa Phil talk about potentially launching the Scorpio in 2016 but the tech just wasn't there. Sounds like the opposite of rushed. And again if they were rushed, "much sooner", then how would a 2018 or 2019 Scorpio make any sense? That extends the generation a long time. Also, I think you mean to say Sony is (in your opinion) playing chess and Microsoft is playing checkers. That makes logical sense, chess and poker doesn't.

PS4 is still selling so well I think it would be a mistake for Sony to rush out a new console. How much better can they make it from Scorpio launching a little over a year later? It would need to be much more powerful than Scorpio if they are calling it a new gen, because Pro and Scorpio are just mid gen refreshes.

Just like others, I just do not see Sony coming bout with the PS5 in early or late 2019. If anything we might start to get rumors on the PS5 by then and by 2020 see Sony do E3 with a reveal. With the way the PS4 is selling why even neuter that profit. Its not like MS or even Nintendo are going to dent the PS4 any time soon and releasing your next Gen if Sony truly is going for Next gen probably would not be next gen by 2019. That would mean they probably would be running with the same parts or close to it as the X1X which makes no sense.

So Sony will release the PS5 in early 2019 so they can have a graphical leg up on MS for a few years? OP, do you realize that the more powerful hardware has always lost every single console generation ever? The console that wins is always the console with the better library, and price point. Historically Sony consoles have always lasted 6 years or more. Sony isn't about to mess with that formula. Why would they be so risky with a 2019 release when they've already completely defeated MS in the console race?