By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5 Will Release Early 2019 (Opinion)

Nuvendil said:

Highly doubt it. The PS4 jump over the PS3 disappointed initially and wasn't fully appreciated for years. The Pro also disappointed many. Contrary to the current rhetoric, generations need to get *longer* NOT shorter.

I personally anticipate the PS5 in 2021. 2020 at the absolute earliest.   I don't think Sony is concerned with the next Xbox because Microsoft's posturing leaves considerable doubt there will even BE another Xbox after the One line.

Sony isn't going to rush out the gate to get the drop on Xbox. No sense in taking the risk.

Pretty much this ^

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network

I doubt it. It seems PS4 still hasn't peaked, and in fact this years seems to be its best so far, so killing it so soon after its peak seems too early. Obviously it's not going to die so immediately when the next PlayStation comes out, but I imagine Sony still wants to wait longer before eating away PS4's profits with a new console.

Also, Microsoft must be fully aware of the situation. Obviously they're not just going to release a new console without analyzing the competitors' launch possibilities as well. It kind of seems they're getting away from traditional generations and moving more towards a more continuous model. There might not even be a new generation of Xbox consoles. Instead, Xbox One X is the next step, then in a few years they'll release the next step, and so on. In such a release cycle, the importance of new consoles isn't as big as it is now, so a PS5 wouldn't be such a threat anyway. Of course this can be a risky strategy as it's largely untested, but Microsoft doesn't seem to be faring too well against Sony even when Sony screws up terribly (PS3), so Microsoft needs to come up with something new.

i think more for a release by end of the year 2019, if not 2020

remember, the xbox one x IS 500$, so the ps5 can't really be THAT much more powerful than it if it comes out next year at the sweet spot of 400$.

gcwy said:

(...)

The reasons for that, even excluding how well PS4 is doing right now, are mostly down to hardware. (...)

AMD just had their CPU roadmap leaked a few days ago and it mostly confirmed everyone's suspicions, Zen APUs starting in early 2018, one revision of the same architecture somewhere around 2019 and Zen 2 APUs in late 2019/2020. The longer they wait the better, especially since the mid-gen refreshes mitigated the long console gens that everyone hates, now they can relax and think their strategy through.

*roadmap*

I agree that hardware is the main problem for an early 2019 launch, but in my oponion it's more because of the GPU part rather than the CPU.

Both Scorpio and PS4Pro feature a Polaris 10 (RX 480/580) part, with some Vega enhancements, and that's the best AMD has on offer right now in the mainstream segment, which is the one Sony would look for unless they want to launch a more expensive PS5. There are rumors that AMD may have Vega 11 to replace Polaris 10, but given how Vega 56 performs, the jump in performance from such part would be very small if at all.

Given that Vega 20 will only be a refresh on a smaller node, and will launch late next year, we'll have to wait for Navi to see real improvements and something worth a new gen of consoles.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network

I'm thinking more along the lines of 2021 but the earliest is 2020.

PS4 has so much steam going and hardly any serious competition so why bother.

The only thing that would push an earlier release is if MS releases a next gen console, but even still Sony can probably release a next gen console a year after MS like they did with XB360/PS3.

gcwy said:

Not a chance. You're not going to see next-gen consoles until at least 2020. They'll do the same strategy that they've been doing for their consoles. PS event where PS5 gets revealed in Feb 2020, game/system showcase at E3 and finally release in late 2020.

The reasons for that, even excluding how well PS4 is doing right now, are mostly down to hardware. They simply cannot make a system during that time that will not only provide a significant jump over the PS4 (in terms of everything i.e RAM, storage, GPU, CPU etc) without charging premium price for it, and absolutely nothing suggests that Sony will be taking that route since it's done them so well this generation. As for MS, I hope they take the Sony route in terms of pricing, obviously the Xbox One X is an exception and the original Xbox One was priced higher than competition because of their focus on multimedia and inclusion of Kinect. Hopefully their next base console will be a competent one.

AMD just had their CPU roadmap leaked a few days ago and it mostly confirmed everyone's suspicions, Zen APUs starting in early 2018, one revision of the same architecture somewhere around 2019 and Zen 2 APUs in late 2019/2020. The longer they wait the better, especially since the mid-gen refreshes mitigated the long console gens that everyone hates, now they can relax and think their strategy through.

Definitely agree, not to mention that AMD must rely on third party foundries for production (and it had to fight with Intel in tribunals to be allowed to completely end internal production, become financially unsustainable, and start totally outsourcing, as Intel, through some one-sided parts of their cross-licensing deals, wanted to prevent the outsourcing of x86 CPUs production) while cryptocurrency mining is keeping GPU and memory prices high, so it's both more likely a delay than an acceleration in the CPU and APU roadmap and unlikely an early drop in GPU and memory prices. APUs like those used in base model consoles are maybe in a better situation, particularly if they are customised models made on console makers specifications, as their production and prices are established on deals between AMD and console makers and not directly subject to end-user market volatility, that anyway still indirectly influences them, particularly if and when, after the initial deals, the console maker needs a larger production increase than initially agreed. The later they start producing PS5, the more likely production will have caught up with miners demand, possibly with mining-taylored cards with their own market, ending the current GPU price turmoil.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

KBG29 said:
That is tough to see. As Nuvendilis saying, the impact of tech over time is getting smaller. A PS5 in 2019 is going to be very unimpressive, and very likely turn consumers off. We are talking a turn around quicker than PS3 to PS4, and people are expecting a $399.99 console. Add together the slowdown in tech development, the necissary leap required to give it next gen wow, inflation, and PS5 would be significantly less impressive than PS4.

I just can not see another generation of consoles limited to HDD, and SSD won't be cheap enough until 2020 at the earliest, thus leaving a 2019 next gen in a really weird position. I think a much better play would be to release an optional PS4 Premium in 2019, and then release a true next gen PS5 in 2021 or 2022.

PS4's chip set at 7nm with a few more modernizations like the Pro saw, will deliver 4K and 60fps on many titles. Give it 16GB of RAM, and it will be a perfect last push for PS4. Then let PS5 be the 3nm 20+ TFLOP, 128GB of RAM, SSD based storage beast of a machine it needs to be, delivering an unquestionable leap over PS4, PS4 Pro, and PS4 Premium for a true next gen expereince. This will allow it to maintain 4K/60fps while delivering a massive leap in every graphical department that will be evident to all.

Regaurdless, PS5 has to be backwards compatible with PS4 software. We will be closing in on 50% digital or surpassing 50% digital sales depending on when PS5 is launched. With iOS and Android kind of setting the standard, people expect all of their digital content to continue to work on their new devices.

A "PS4 premium" serves no purpose. No one is going to put a premium when a PS5 that blows it out of the water is no more than a year or two away. Just look at PS4 Pro sales. It's not exactly leading a boom in PS4 sales, at only 1 in 5 PS4s sold, is it? Face it. There just isn't a demand for these higher end game consoles that you like to pretend there is, and there's no reason to suspect that such a console would extend the shelf life of the PS4.

Releasing first doesn't garantee you will win.

The difficult part will be to convince people on why they need to upgrade. 4k TV's are still way too expensive. I'd get sold by the 60fps, but many don't. A noticeable technological leap is necessary.

Nem said:

Releasing first doesn't garantee you will win.

yeah look what happened to the dreamcast.