By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony says No to Ps Vita 2

So the Switch won its gen? xD

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network

strange for them to say they supposedly haven't seen much of a market for a dedicated handheld gaming system recently when the 3DS was and still is doing excellently overall, somehow still managing numbers that aren't that far behind Switch/PS4 monthly

I think the reality is that Sony has no safe way to support gaming ecosystems; i.e. they don't have the developer and IP power to launch a handheld alongside the PS4 and gurantee it sells. with the PS4 there are some strong third party series that are always there (i.e. the Souls series or something like Witcher).

If Nintendo launches a handheld exclusive system they can launch it with something like Animal Crossing, Mario, Pokemon- and gurantee a large initial adoption rate.

Still, I find these comments from Sony kind of lame considering they gave up with the Vita pretty early on. How can you expect a handheld system to do well when you require people to buy expensive proprietary memory cards and when you hardly support it with first party titles? 

there is obviously still a decent market for dedicated handheld systems if loads of people are willing to buy 3DS's today with its 240p games

leyendax69 said:
Shocking... :( to be honest, while I love my Vita and other handhelds I have owned, I'm more into console and pc gaming so I'm perfectly fine with them abandoning that market to focus on PS4, 5 or whatever they are planning to release in the future.

only danger though is that I would argue there is a larger chance the PC market consumes the 'home console market', than mobile phones consume dedicated handhelds.

currently you can not only have virtually the same experience gaming on a PC connected to your TV as you do with the Playstation/Xbox, but also at potentially much better quality

meanwhile mobile phones have pretty shit games for the most part and nothing that is matching a full fledged game made for the Vita or 3DS really, despite those platforms being years old.  I'm not sure it's wise for Sony to ignore the handheld market, and the 3DS with its terrible resolution still selling fairly well seems to suggest that there is plenty of demand worldwide for dedicated handhelds still

look at Super Mario Run- people don't really want to play traditional games on their mobile phones, it's less involved, less fun, boring. 

mountaindewslave said:

strange for them to say they supposedly haven't seen much of a market for a dedicated handheld gaming system recently when the 3DS was and still is doing excellently overall, somehow still managing numbers that aren't that far behind Switch/PS4 monthly

I think the reality is that Sony has no safe way to support gaming ecosystems; i.e. they don't have the developer and IP power to launch a handheld alongside the PS4 and gurantee it sells. with the PS4 there are some strong third party series that are always there (i.e. the Souls series or something like Witcher).

If Nintendo launches a handheld exclusive system they can launch it with something like Animal Crossing, Mario, Pokemon- and gurantee a large initial adoption rate.

Still, I find these comments from Sony kind of lame considering they gave up with the Vita pretty early on. How can you expect a handheld system to do well when you require people to buy expensive proprietary memory cards and when you hardly support it with first party titles? 

there is obviously still a decent market for dedicated handheld systems if loads of people are willing to buy 3DS's today with its 240p games

Considering Sony didn't even understand why the PS4 was selling so well(a notion I agree with them on...) it's clear they can barely support one console. 

The problem is simply that home consoles are bot quite often on third party support whereas handheld consoles are almost always bought on experiences optimized for that, whether they be big mainstream 1st party games or "niche" titles

This and the other thread are pretty interesting to read. While competition in the console space is the most important thing ever, when it comes to handhelds a monopoly is apparently the correct way to go.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

I dont think we will see Vita 2 or PSP 2, but some kind of hybrid similar to Switch in future years is definitely possible.

mountaindewslave said:

Most reasonable comment so far.

The thing is Sony is doing great in the home console market, but that does not equal being in a good position to compete in the portable market, and viceversa.

It always seemed Microsoft/Sony were happy Nintendo dedicated itself to the Switch

PS Vita came out way ahead of its time, so they know how to design handhelds with nice tech inside them. Sony just don't know how to support it right, and the high priced memory cards didn't help either so they're the only reason to blame for its misfortune.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
deskpro2k3 said:

PS Vita came out way ahead of its time, so they know how to design handhelds with nice tech inside them. Sony just don't know how to support it right, and the high priced memory cards didn't help either so they're the only reason to blame for its misfortune.

Eh... Vita's specs in practice resembled 6th gen graphics, OG Xbox comes to mind but with less polish. I say that having played Killzone on a Vita TV, it doesn't look great away from that small screen. For the time it was released, it was decent specs at beast. Switch is a much bigger leap forward in comparison.

Frankly, Nintendo's software just does a better job at appealing to portable console gamers and they even invested in notable 3rd party content like Monster Hunter. I don't blame Sony entirely for Vita's failure, it was difficult road with Nintendo dominating and smart devices taking a huge chunk of the market.

I think we benefit more from Sony being focused on a single device and their Vita output wasn't great anyway.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)