By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony says No to Ps Vita 2

If Sony wants to get back in the handheld game, they gotta go all in! PS4, PSVR, and then a new handheld? They'll get stretched thin the way Nintendo was in 2015-2016.

Around the Network
KBG29 said:
twintail said:

Yours comments on House and VR are laughable. You have zero idea what you are talking about.

His concern is that VR as a platform might not be selling at strong enough a pace to keep momentum that makes VR a truly viable option for gaming going forward. Sony might be in the strongest position but they arent in a position yet to carry VR for gaming just by themselves, hence why its a concern: the other platforms arent doing anything to help build and push VR, at least when it comes to sales. Sony have had this stance for quite some time now. Yoshida has echoed similar sentiments saying that even actions like FB buying Occulus will hopefully increase adoption of VR as a medium since the medium itself needs to grow from just a niche as far as it is possible to. 

And that is a problem going forward. VR for Sony is still only a niche. So if other platforms are seeling even worse, than VR is currently stuck in a niche that might not break out. Sony already has various studios working on VR exclusive games so of course they are trying to push VR as much as they can, but unless they start seeing a random spike increase of VR hrdware, it will be difficult for VR to grow without others trying to grow it too.

As for the phone suggestion you keep bringing up. What constitutes basic texting? Because unless Sony/ Nintendo can convince the makers of major msging apps (whatsapp, line, kakotalk, we chat etc) to create and maintain these apps on their OSs, then whats the point? I cant move over to a PS/ Nintendo phone unless I have access to those, likewise access to other apps like Instagram etc. And Im willing to be the vast majority of phone users will say the same thing. 

A gaming phone obviously sounds like a good idea on paper but serves very little purpose to a large demographic of people. Form factor is also pretty important if you want phone users to move and the reality is that none of the portables released so far could function as a phone purely from form factor. What makes a decent handheld, and what makes a decent phone are not the same thing. So who exactly is this going to appeal to outside of the couple dozen ppl you know? 

The problem with House is he used his power to create this situation with PSVR to this point. I get that he was cautious because he didn't want to produce 5 million units, and end up in a situation where they were stuck holding a bunch of unsold stock. However, I think he was overly cautious, but that can be argued a million ways.

The bigger issues is the extreanly pessimistic view he has had towards PSVR in every interview I have read from the announcement of the device, all the way to now. The rest of the executives, Kaz Hirai, Jim Ryan, Shawn Layden, and Shuhei Yoshida have all been very positive, and at least publicly push VR as a growth platform for PlayStation. It is quite disheartening as a share holder, user, and a fan to see this guy at the head of PlayStation have such a negitive attitude.

As for the Phone, I agree it would only serve a small demographic, just as consoles only serve a small demographic. Should consoles not exsist, just because they only sell to roughly .025% of the population?

Would Sony/Nintendo let other messeging apps on their platform? Would these developers even support these devices if they did?               I can't say.

Who is it going to appeal to outside of the couple dozen people I know?                                                                                                                        The ~.025% of people that have iPhones, Galaxy phones, LG Phones, or other phones, and only use them to do basic texting, take pictures, and post stuff to Facebook. Not everyone that has a smartphone is absolutely in love with the device, or the ecosystem they bought into. My arguement is that there are enough of the 200+ million people that buy console, and some that don't, would have no issue dropping their current phone in favor of something that offers the console experience on the go. The world outside the forums has a much different view, than I see from the online gaming forum community. When I talk to people about games in real life, or chat/message people from online gaming sessions, I get a get a lot more people that think a PS/Nin Phone would be awesome. They can't all be just politely agreeing.

The population that consoles sell to is 100 times larger than the percentage that you just used.

The Wii alone sold 101 million units. 101 million / 7.3 billion = 1.38% of the world's population. Just one console.

In first world countries, there is an even larger disparity: 41 million / 318 million = 12.89% of the USA.

The PSVita was an awesome system, but a disaster in sales. So, yes, what is the point?

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

StarDoor said:

The population that consoles sell to is 100 times larger than the percentage that you just used.

The Wii alone sold 101 million units. 101 million / 7.3 billion = 1.38% of the world's population. Just one console.

In first world countries, there is an even larger disparity: 41 million / 318 million = 12.89% of the USA.

Your right, was supposed to be ~1.25%  200,000,000/8,000,000,000 forgot to move the decimal. Need to make sure I am awake when I go posting stuff. Yeah things in the US are more optimist, if you take 50,000,000/325,000,000 or ~15%, still a small portion of the population though. I can not see a Phone selling any less than that. There is a sustaninable and very profitable market there just waiting to be tapped.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

twintail said:
KBG29 said:

The problem with House is he used his power to create this situation with PSVR to this point. I get that he was cautious because he didn't want to produce 5 million units, and end up in a situation where they were stuck holding a bunch of unsold stock. However, I think he was overly cautious, but that can be argued a million ways.

The bigger issues is the extreanly pessimistic view he has had towards PSVR in every interview I have read from the announcement of the device, all the way to now. The rest of the executives, Kaz Hirai, Jim Ryan, Shawn Layden, and Shuhei Yoshida have all been very positive, and at least publicly push VR as a growth platform for PlayStation. It is quite disheartening as a share holder, user, and a fan to see this guy at the head of PlayStation have such a negitive attitude.

As for the Phone, I agree it would only serve a small demographic, just as consoles only serve a small demographic. Should consoles not exsist, just because they only sell to roughly .025% of the population?

Would Sony/Nintendo let other messeging apps on their platform? Would these developers even support these devices if they did?               I can't say.

Who is it going to appeal to outside of the couple dozen people I know?                                                                                                                        The ~.025% of people that have iPhones, Galaxy phones, LG Phones, or other phones, and only use them to do basic texting, take pictures, and post stuff to Facebook. Not everyone that has a smartphone is absolutely in love with the device, or the ecosystem they bought into. My arguement is that there are enough of the 200+ million people that buy console, and some that don't, would have no issue dropping their current phone in favor of something that offers the console experience on the go. The world outside the forums has a much different view, than I see from the online gaming forum community. When I talk to people about games in real life, or chat/message people from online gaming sessions, I get a get a lot more people that think a PS/Nin Phone would be awesome. They can't all be just politely agreeing.

Which interviews exactly has he been negative towards the PSVR?

And im sure he is having a lot of negative influence on teh device: new small redesign, plus the amount of retailers in JPN are increasing from 390 to 910. Things are improving for PSVR. 

I cant say much of what you say is very convincing. Many ppl just do basic texting , pictures, post things to FB: so then why do they need an expensive hybrid portable/ phone? That wouldnt serve their needs any better than just getting a cheap phone (which is incredibly easy right now with the flux of chepaer chinese phones that have pretty good internal hardware in them). it doesnt.

These ease of access from the app stores to give users a varietty of different ways to do things when they need these specific things done. Messaging apps, which are pretty fundamental to how ppl communicate through their phones, are no going to randomly come to these hybrid devices with their own specific ecosystem. The demograpic you think exists is far more niche than your own estimates, and a handheld that has basic phone functionality is hardly a selling point. Whats the size? whats the form factor? What are the specs that woud make sense for this device?

A cool idea in theory doesnt mean it translate into a marketable product.

You're wasting you're time. I've explained how completely ridiculous his many of his ideas are, from his Playstation phone, to his $1500 PS4 idea, to the Sony OS that should be on every device from game console to smart phone to car stereo and he just doesn't listen to any sort of reason. He's convinced all of them are objectively great ideas, and makes wild claims like his claim that a 50 million people in the US alone would easily buy a playstation phone.

Then again, this is the guy who uses his Vita as his primary cell phone.