By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony says No to Ps Vita 2

no to vita 2, yes to psvr 2.

Around the Network

Is it too bad to dream of a mobile console that can function like switch but still be used as a phone?

Dota2Gamer said:
Is it too bad to dream of a mobile console that can function like switch but still be used as a phone?

I considered that but something worth considering is the specs of a great portable console may not be the same as a good phone.

I mean look at Xbox 360 or maybe even X1. Great for gaming, well above the typical phone game, but a piece of shit for practical stuff like browsing the web and the UI is slow/not great.

Hence, maybe core gaming devices and phones should be different things for now. I mean at some point you would be using a mediocre phone just because it plays some great games.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

0815user said:
no to vita 2, yes to psvr 2.

Considering Andrew Houses views on PSVR1, I could very easily see Sony ditching VR. For some reason, the dude hated the idea of VR, and decided they should be overly cautious. Even with him making it difficult to find units in some regions, they have a substantial lead on the competition. Instead of embracing it, and creating a door for innovation, and creativity, his new tone is that he is uncomfortable being the market leader. He has an oppertunity to use PSVR to greatly expand his platform, but instead it looks like he is going to continue to try and do as much damage to it as he can.

Dota2Gamer said:

For some reason Sony and Nintendo would rather 10's to 100's of millions of user than add Cellular capabilities to their devices. Even more mind boggling to me, the majority of people in the gaming forum communities are totally aginst it as well. 

I have been dreaming of a PlayStation Phone since PSP. I know a a couple dozen people that absolutley hate their Android and iOS device, and would drop them in a second if either Nintendo or Sony announced a 3DS or Vita with just basic calling and texting. I honestly think the only way traditional gaming will ever survive in mobile/portable form is if they finally bring connected devices to the market. They won't ever reach the levels of Android or iOS, but they should be able to recapature a PSP+DS level of market or more, which will be perfectly sustainable. 

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Mr Puggsly said:

I considered that but something worth considering is the specs of a great portable console may not be the same as a good phone.

I mean look at Xbox 360 or maybe even X1. Great for gaming, well above the typical phone game, but a piece of shit for practical stuff like browsing the web and the UI is slow/not great.

Hence, maybe core gaming devices and phones should be different things for now. I mean at some point you would be using a mediocre phone just because it plays some great games.

The XBO and PS4 don't have any issue with hardware when it comes to something like web browsing. The problem is they are not optimized, or intentionally limited by Sony and MS. Much weaker versions of the AMD APU used in XBO with less and slower RAM are much more capable than XBO at web browsing using Edge. 

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Around the Network
KBG29 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

The XBO and PS4 don't have any issue with hardware when it comes to something like web browsing. The problem is they are not optimized, or intentionally limited by Sony and MS. Much weaker versions of the AMD APU used in XBO with less and slower RAM are much more capable than XBO at web browsing using Edge. 

Yeah, you got a point. X1 is supposedly running Windows 10 under hood but its not really apparent based on the speed of the interface.

I don't know if its intentional because MS has been boasting about the performance improvments made on the interface.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

I would say np, just keep supporting the Vita. But then again, it's been 3rd parties doing that as Sony jumped ship long ago.

Green098 said:

I think a lot of people would much rather have the Switch + PS4 combo rather than a PSP3 + PS4 combo as a handheld and home console combo anyways. Gives a much wider diversity of games and means you don't have 1st party game development split between two systems. Even goes the same for more people rather having a Switch + PS4 combo rather than both a Nintendo home console and handheld console like 3DS + Wii U.

Yes, especially since it's looking like the Switch *will* also be getting a fairly steady stream of high-end 3rd parties, including the normal multiplats (lower graphics than the competitors, in exchange for portability), there is very little that another Vita could offer that the Switch doesn't already, and the Switch has the advantage concerning exclusives. 

Bet with PeH: 

I win if Arms sells over 700 000 units worldwide by the end of 2017.

Bet with WagnerPaiva:

I win if Emmanuel Macron wins the french presidential election May 7th 2017.

Wise decision.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

twintail said:
KBG29 said:

Considering Andrew Houses views on PSVR1, I could very easily see Sony ditching VR. For some reason, the dude hated the idea of VR, and decided they should be overly cautious. Even with him making it difficult to find units in some regions, they have a substantial lead on the competition. Instead of embracing it, and creating a door for innovation, and creativity, his new tone is that he is uncomfortable being the market leader. He has an oppertunity to use PSVR to greatly expand his platform, but instead it looks like he is going to continue to try and do as much damage to it as he can.

For some reason Sony and Nintendo would rather 10's to 100's of millions of user than add Cellular capabilities to their devices. Even more mind boggling to me, the majority of people in the gaming forum communities are totally aginst it as well. 

I have been dreaming of a PlayStation Phone since PSP. I know a a couple dozen people that absolutley hate their Android and iOS device, and would drop them in a second if either Nintendo or Sony announced a 3DS or Vita with just basic calling and texting. I honestly think the only way traditional gaming will ever survive in mobile/portable form is if they finally bring connected devices to the market. They won't ever reach the levels of Android or iOS, but they should be able to recapature a PSP+DS level of market or more, which will be perfectly sustainable. 

Yours comments on House and VR are laughable. You have zero idea what you are talking about.

His concern is that VR as a platform might not be selling at strong enough a pace to keep momentum that makes VR a truly viable option for gaming going forward. Sony might be in the strongest position but they arent in a position yet to carry VR for gaming just by themselves, hence why its a concern: the other platforms arent doing anything to help build and push VR, at least when it comes to sales. Sony have had this stance for quite some time now. Yoshida has echoed similar sentiments saying that even actions like FB buying Occulus will hopefully increase adoption of VR as a medium since the medium itself needs to grow from just a niche as far as it is possible to. 

And that is a problem going forward. VR for Sony is still only a niche. So if other platforms are seeling even worse, than VR is currently stuck in a niche that might not break out. Sony already has various studios working on VR exclusive games so of course they are trying to push VR as much as they can, but unless they start seeing a random spike increase of VR hrdware, it will be difficult for VR to grow without others trying to grow it too.

As for the phone suggestion you keep bringing up. What constitutes basic texting? Because unless Sony/ Nintendo can convince the makers of major msging apps (whatsapp, line, kakotalk, we chat etc) to create and maintain these apps on their OSs, then whats the point? I cant move over to a PS/ Nintendo phone unless I have access to those, likewise access to other apps like Instagram etc. And Im willing to be the vast majority of phone users will say the same thing. 

A gaming phone obviously sounds like a good idea on paper but serves very little purpose to a large demographic of people. Form factor is also pretty important if you want phone users to move and the reality is that none of the portables released so far could function as a phone purely from form factor. What makes a decent handheld, and what makes a decent phone are not the same thing. So who exactly is this going to appeal to outside of the couple dozen ppl you know? 

The problem with House is he used his power to create this situation with PSVR to this point. I get that he was cautious because he didn't want to produce 5 million units, and end up in a situation where they were stuck holding a bunch of unsold stock. However, I think he was overly cautious, but that can be argued a million ways.

The bigger issues is the extreanly pessimistic view he has had towards PSVR in every interview I have read from the announcement of the device, all the way to now. The rest of the executives, Kaz Hirai, Jim Ryan, Shawn Layden, and Shuhei Yoshida have all been very positive, and at least publicly push VR as a growth platform for PlayStation. It is quite disheartening as a share holder, user, and a fan to see this guy at the head of PlayStation have such a negitive attitude.

As for the Phone, I agree it would only serve a small demographic, just as consoles only serve a small demographic. Should consoles not exsist, just because they only sell to roughly .025% of the population?

Would Sony/Nintendo let other messeging apps on their platform? Would these developers even support these devices if they did?               I can't say.

Who is it going to appeal to outside of the couple dozen people I know?                                                                                                                        The ~.025% of people that have iPhones, Galaxy phones, LG Phones, or other phones, and only use them to do basic texting, take pictures, and post stuff to Facebook. Not everyone that has a smartphone is absolutely in love with the device, or the ecosystem they bought into. My arguement is that there are enough of the 200+ million people that buy console, and some that don't, would have no issue dropping their current phone in favor of something that offers the console experience on the go. The world outside the forums has a much different view, than I see from the online gaming forum community. When I talk to people about games in real life, or chat/message people from online gaming sessions, I get a get a lot more people that think a PS/Nin Phone would be awesome. They can't all be just politely agreeing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL