By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EU Commission Says Piracy Increases Legitimate Game Sales

Agree?

Pirates are scum! 24 24.00%

Pirates are sometimes scum! 26 26.00%

Emulation is awesome! 50 50.00%

Total:100

Haha, or course piracy hurts video game sales.

Dream cast says hi.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
setsunatenshi said:
it's great to see an actual study corroborate what many people have been arguing for against the emotional argument of the "pirates are always bad" crowd.

not even mentioning the whole emulation being bad argument lol

1- exposure of an interactive media to someone who may not be able to afford that media at any given time. this person may have to resort to pirating for a limited time, but becomes a gamer for life which will mean game sales for years and years to come. Interactive is the key word here, which makes it different from pirating other forms of passive media.

2- trying something new that said person is unsure they should spend their money on. the piracy as demo argument. turns out they like the game, so they buy the game

but yeah... some people will never change their mind even in the face of evidence

You mean a survey to 1600 people that said that they pirating led them to buy the stuff later? If you call that a study them anything is.

Captain_Yuri said:
Can we finally stop with emulation + piracy is bad talk? No? Alright... :T

Nope, this study isn't a study, is the answer of measly 1600 people that said they are likely to buy something after they pirate.

Mnementh said:
DonFerrari said:

Except Nintendo most companies release new IPs and characters on every other gen... so tell me how you pirating Crash would generally translate to you buying UC4, because I have a very hard time believing children that pirate are very keen on following each single dev to see what is their newer output.

And you specifically isn't the norm for the industry.

I played Moneky Island, UFO, Doom 2, Indiana Jones, Duke Nukem 3D as a kid. And bought these exact games later.

Console is a different beast, by the time I had money the generation would've. Besides I had no games for monetary reason, why would I have a console?

And have you bought as much as you had pirated? I doubt so.

Because for several people the lack of money would mean they have the HW and perhaps some legit games or several pirated games. You see that not all money problems are the same and also that some people got the HW as gifts.

setsunatenshi said:
Aeolus451 said:
I don't trust that at all. Pirating of games only encourages more of it. Why would someone pay for something they got for free?

because most people actually want to support the things they really enjoy.

i know it's a crazy concept, but you'll have to take my word for it on this one :)

And they wanting to support is the reason they pirated? YEs crazy concept.

archer9234 said:
setsunatenshi said:

because most people actually want to support the things they really enjoy.

i know it's a crazy concept, but you'll have to take my word for it on this one :)

Agreed. Here's a thing. If companies would allow people an easy and simple way for us to rip DVD's, BD's etc to a digital platform of our choosing. Like what we can do with CD's. With no DRM or some other BS you have to sign into. Physical owners would have best of both worlds. You still got the money of the consumer. But they really want the person to buy the BD, and than the digital copies. Than again on some other digital platform. Not be able to play them on this device, or that device. Without question. That's where they fail. Guess what. I dumped my Daredevil BD copy to my PC. So I can watch it with a few people over skype. They in turn all bought the S1 and 2  BD sets. Are you gonna argue I did something wrong?

So if companies would allow piracy to be easier you are sure they would profit more?

About digital version, In Brazil a lot of BDs I bought came with free digital version, I never once used them.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Ka-pi96 said:
Mnementh said:

You already pay more for a flat or a house, food, transportation and many other things in a wealthier country.

Well to be fair some of that is due to better quality, not just because it's a wealthier country. I mean, a house in a wealthy country isn't going to be made of wood and fall down if there's any strong winds or anything. Or trains aren't going to break down (as much) and you've got no possibility of falling off of them while it's going along or whatever.

So if they want to make games cheaper for poor countries, the only fair way to do it would be to either remove some content or add a load of bugs to decrease the quality!

Screwing over your customers is not a good way to convince them to buy your stuff. I'm not sure why you're being so vindictive over this, major companies have already been doing regional pricing for years now.

Not strange at all and I have read other studies that came to the same conclusion. Those that pirate games are often those who have the biggest interest in the industry and therefore are more prone to buying new games.

DonFerrari said:

archer9234 said:

Agreed. Here's a thing. If companies would allow people an easy and simple way for us to rip DVD's, BD's etc to a digital platform of our choosing. Like what we can do with CD's. With no DRM or some other BS you have to sign into. Physical owners would have best of both worlds. You still got the money of the consumer. But they really want the person to buy the BD, and than the digital copies. Than again on some other digital platform. Not be able to play them on this device, or that device. Without question. That's where they fail. Guess what. I dumped my Daredevil BD copy to my PC. So I can watch it with a few people over skype. They in turn all bought the S1 and 2  BD sets. Are you gonna argue I did something wrong?

So if companies would allow piracy to be easier you are sure they would profit more?

About digital version, In Brazil a lot of BDs I bought came with free digital version, I never once used them.

Who said piracy. We have the right to rip and copy CD's in iTunes, at will, for example. Why isn't this a normal thing towards DVD's, BD's, 4k Discs.

I don't use those version either. I want full control over bitrate, place where I want to use them, format, audio tracks, chapter markers etc. Which is why I rip all my BD's to my itunes. I have thousands of shows and movies on my itunes. All purchased leagally. But I'd be consider a pirate. Beacuse I bypassed copy protection guards to do it. Even though I don't share those files. And had people watch Daredevil in an unconvential way. IE: Public proformance. Again, technially illgeal. But they bought their copies. So... I'm not saying companies stop giving a shit and not protect their stuff. But, not everything falls under black and white.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Leadified said:

Screwing over your customers is not a good way to convince them to buy your stuff. I'm not sure why you're being so vindictive over this, major companies have already been doing regional pricing for years now.

So major companies have been doing anti-consumer shit for years, that's no reason for them to continue doing it though!

Screw regional prices and screw region locks!

How is making a product affordable anti-consumer? I fail to understand how you can even say such a thing.

Ka-pi96 said:
Leadified said:

How is making a product affordable anti-consumer? I fail to understand how you can even say such a thing.

It isn't. Jacking up the price for other people however is anti-consumer! If they can afford a low price for some people then they can afford it for all people!

The price isn't jacked up because it's adjusted to your cost of living and income. They can afford to charge a lower price in a place like Mexico because of instead of one person being able to afford your game, now you could have five or six people being able to afford it.

Puppyroach said:
Not strange at all and I have read other studies that came to the same conclusion. Those that pirate games are often those who have the biggest interest in the industry and therefore are more prone to buying new games.

Yes totally comprobatory that someone that pirates 100 games end up buying 30 of those games while the other customers buy only 20....

And this wasn't a study, it was at most a survey looking at OP. from around 1600 people surveyed enough said they buy more after pirating and have a positive effect on sales.

I'm pretty sure that EU commission understand that piracing increases revenue for companies but companies are to dumb to want money.

Have you also saw the part that the benefit came most for companies that had other monetization. So basically they are saying for companies to have even more DLC, multiplayer and games as service?? The very thing a lot of gamers doesn't want.

archer9234 said:
DonFerrari said:

Who said piracy. We have the right to rip and copy CD's in iTunes, at will, for example. Why isn't this a normal thing towards DVD's, BD's, 4k Discs.

I don't use those version either. I want full control over bitrate, place where I want to use them, format, audio tracks, chapter markers etc. Which is why I rip all my BD's to my itunes. I have thousands of shows and movies on my itunes. All purchased leagally. But I'd be consider a pirate. Beacuse I bypassed copy protection guards to do it. Even though I don't share those files. And had people watch Daredevil in an unconvential way. IE: Public proformance. Again, technially illgeal. But they bought their copies. So... I'm not saying companies stop giving a shit and not protect their stuff. But, not everything falls under black and white.

Depends on the law or how you interpret rights... I have nothing against you ripping your CD and puting it in your iTunes. You as customer can go there and demand Apple to allow it.

Under Brazil law you wouldn't be considered pirate, backup copy is fair use here. But yes the "public performance" could be an issue on this, but if everyone was owner of a license I don't see that being a problem as well under the law.

But we know that most of the backups would be sucked in by heavy pirates.

Ka-pi96 said:
Leadified said:

So major companies have been doing anti-consumer shit for years, that's no reason for them to continue doing it though!

Screw regional prices and screw region locks!

Sure making region free games and them making the price be 1/3 in some regions won't make a lot of importers go there.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Leadified said:
Ka-pi96 said:

It isn't. Jacking up the price for other people however is anti-consumer! If they can afford a low price for some people then they can afford it for all people!

The price isn't jacked up because it's adjusted to your cost of living and income. They can afford to charge a lower price in a place like Mexico because of instead of one person being able to afford your game, now you could have five or six people being able to afford it.

Unless you are in Brazil and everything is racked up on price compared to USA (even more when considering Power Price Parity or something translated like this from portuguese Poder de Compra)

Ka-pi96 said:
Leadified said:

How is that not jacked up? If they can charge a lower price and still make a profit on it and even sell at that price in some places, then selling at a higher price elsewhere is absolutely jacking the price up.

As for the number of people being able to afford it, that applies in literally every single country. Even in the wealthiest countries more people would be able to afford things if they were priced lower.

How is it? GTA V is $60 on the Steam Store in the US and $44 in the Mexican store. Incomes in the US are five times more on average than in Mexico, the impact your purchase will have on your average American will be much less than your average Mexican. I already gave you an example on why they can afford it because otherwise if it were too expensive than people would not be able to afford it and the company would get no money.

Do you really not understand how this works?