By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EU Commission Says Piracy Increases Legitimate Game Sales

Agree?

Pirates are scum! 24 24.00%

Pirates are sometimes scum! 26 26.00%

Emulation is awesome! 50 50.00%

Total:100
Mnementh said:
DonFerrari said:
Probably a very poor study...
But on the case of our friends that pirated when kids and then bought as adult... you pirated because you wouldn't even be able to play without doing it and then bought when being able. Not that because you pirated when you were children you bought later.
This study is actually pointing devs to do more games as a service model where you can't even pirate it since you have to keep paying forever to play and I dislike the model.

I exactly bought it later because I pirated it as a kid. Because if not, I would've never learned about these games in the first place. Maybe I wouldn't have become a gamer at all. I didn't even actively ask for it, other kids at school gave me the disks and said: play this!

Except Nintendo most companies release new IPs and characters on every other gen... so tell me how you pirating Crash would generally translate to you buying UC4, because I have a very hard time believing children that pirate are very keen on following each single dev to see what is their newer output.

And you specifically isn't the norm for the industry.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
vivster said:
Vinther1991 said:

What? Unless your movie is called The Lord of the Rings or The Avengers or the musician is called Justin Bieber or something, you have absolutely no chance to live from merchandising. How much merchandise do you think a movie like Moonlight sold?

I also don't agree that movies deliver the least amount of entertainment time, I think that is very individual from person to person.

Nobody said anything about making a living. In fact I didn't even say movies would make a loss. it's about increasing revenue.

A music album is listened to many times resulting in tens of hours of entertainment. Each book gives you several hours of reading time. We don't even have to be talking about video games.

An average movie has 90-120 minutes of entertainment. Unless it's a very good movie or you don't have any other hobbies a movie is watched a single time, maybe twice. Even if we're generous and say that every single movie is watched 3 times we come out at around 6h per movie. Every single music album, book or video game will top that. On average every other medium will give you more time out of a single product.

The only thing that gives you less value is a shorter movie.

Pfff...

I've watched Starship Troopers 60+ times :)

I saw it in theaters and I have it (somewhere) on DVD, it's the DVD that I've seen the most times.

But yeah, that's an outliner. Most movies I only watch one time.

Movies I can remember seeing more than once:

Starship Troopers (60+)

Das Boot (10+)

Nightmare Before Christmass (10+)

Terminator (10+)

Terminator 2 (10+)

Akira (10+)

Pacific Rim (2)

Predator (5+)

Dude Where's My Car (10+)

Robocop (5+)

Robocop 2 (10+)

Spindel said:
vivster said:

Nobody said anything about making a living. In fact I didn't even say movies would make a loss. it's about increasing revenue.

A music album is listened to many times resulting in tens of hours of entertainment. Each book gives you several hours of reading time. We don't even have to be talking about video games.

An average movie has 90-120 minutes of entertainment. Unless it's a very good movie or you don't have any other hobbies a movie is watched a single time, maybe twice. Even if we're generous and say that every single movie is watched 3 times we come out at around 6h per movie. Every single music album, book or video game will top that. On average every other medium will give you more time out of a single product.

The only thing that gives you less value is a shorter movie.

Pfff...

I've watched Starship Troopers 60+ times :)

I saw it in theaters and I have it (somewhere) on DVD, it's the DVD that I've seen the most times.

But yeah, that's an outliner. Most movies I only watch one time.

Movies I can remember seeing more than once:

Starship Troopers (60+)

Das Boot (10+)

Nightmare Before Christmass (10+)

Terminator (10+)

Terminator 2 (10+)

Akira (10+)

Pacific Rim (2)

Predator (5+)

Dude Where's My Car (10+)

Robocop (5+)

Robocop 2 (10+)

But comparing the average price of movie theathers per hours watched we can see that the entretainment value can be seen as quite different for the majority of customers.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

BraLoD said:
Everyone was a pirare here in Brazil back in the day, now a decent bunch of us spend a lot of money on videogames.
It sure helped the industry to grow in some countries that would otherwise be forming almost no gamers back then, and its still a door to create and boost interest in gaming to new players today.
It's good piracy has decreased a lot as gaming evolved, as piracy is definitely also bad for a lot of companies, and the best way to act is not to demonize it, but to bring more potential consumers the chance to legitimately play games, by adequating to the different realities of the people they sell it to.
Piracy is an opportunity, it means there are more people wanting to give you money if you give them a honest chance to do so, and give them good products to make them want to stay with you.

I watched a documentary about gaming in Brazil before, and the people interviewed said that if there were no emulators people would have just stopped playing video games rather than going out and buying them.

it's great to see an actual study corroborate what many people have been arguing for against the emotional argument of the "pirates are always bad" crowd.

not even mentioning the whole emulation being bad argument lol

1- exposure of an interactive media to someone who may not be able to afford that media at any given time. this person may have to resort to pirating for a limited time, but becomes a gamer for life which will mean game sales for years and years to come. Interactive is the key word here, which makes it different from pirating other forms of passive media.

2- trying something new that said person is unsure they should spend their money on. the piracy as demo argument. turns out they like the game, so they buy the game

but yeah... some people will never change their mind even in the face of evidence

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:

Games are differnt.

Game piracy commonly isnt latest patch, cant update to newer patches, has bugs, has dial back home stuff, plus your missing out on dlc,... tons of things.

So a person may download a game try it, find they like it, and then go out and get the physical copy.

The first game I had to buy instead of pirate was Dragon Age Inquisition. Denuvo was just too good at that time and I couldn't wait anymore. Yes, I had Origin on my PC before Steam.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Can we finally stop with emulation + piracy is bad talk? No? Alright... :T

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Some people are too quick to demonise piracy without understanding why people pirate. Some people will always pirate because they can. But how about the people who pirate because of economic reasons or because there is no legal alternative?

Start offering regional pricing for poorer countries , offer options like the Virtual Console, PS Classics, Xbox BC and some of your pirates will become customers. Piracy is never going to go away, instead the focus should be on how to convince pirates to become customers.

Captain_Yuri said:

Have you read the thread? Emulation is barely mentioned and most people agree that piracy isn't so bad. Stop victimizing yourself in the only thread on VGC that is not about how bad piracy and emulation is.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Have you read the thread? Emulation is barely mentioned and most people agree that piracy isn't so bad. Stop victimizing yourself in the only thread on VGC that is not about how bad piracy and emulation is.

Yea but in the future, someone will create a thread about how bad piracy and emulation is and really, the only negative anyone ever mentions when it comes to emulation is piracy so...

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850