By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Off-Screen Nintendo Switch DOOM Footage

SuperNova said:
numberwang said:

The 60 to 30fps could be a CPU bottleneck that could be less dramatic for 30fps games, after all we are getting a decent Skyrim on the Switch.

According to Digital Foundrys slightly improvised testing is indeed a cpu bottleneck. The gpu side of things seems to be fine, but the fact that one CPU core is reserved for the system+the fact tha it's a mobile ARM cpu are limiting performance.

The Switch has four more, albeit much weaker cpu cores doesn't it? I wonder why they don't relegate the system to those and free up the fourth A57 core instead.

Maybe down the line they might consider doing something like that, but I would think system stability would be the number one reason why they wouldn't relagate the OS onto another core for a particular game.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network

Very impressed the Switch can pump this out. Shows despite spec differences the Switch can handle big AAA games from the current console twins and still look great! That is very promising for Nintendo's ability to get top AAA games on Switch from here on out.

vivster said:
caffeinade said:

To get to 60FPS you pretty much need half the elements on screen to be sprites.

I don't think many people would react well to 2D weapons in a modern 3D title.
They could of letterboxed the screen, to give a more cinematic experience and help it reach 60FPS.

I'd say Nintendo fans are more used to sub par graphics than low FPS. If everything was sprites they would still come and call it a marvel of technology because it runs at 1080p and 60fps. Well, some of them.

What do you think matters more in a game like Doom?

Fair enough, Nintendo does offer a wide selection of 60FPS titles.
Personally 60FPS and mouse + keyboard is the bare minimum.

caffeinade said:
vivster said:

I'd say Nintendo fans are more used to sub par graphics than low FPS. If everything was sprites they would still come and call it a marvel of technology because it runs at 1080p and 60fps. Well, some of them.

What do you think matters more in a game like Doom?

May I ask what is the point of going into threads about console games with that attitude. You know the Switch has no keyboard/mouse so no matter what you saw in the video woudl mean nothing to you. Your just being an elitist PC snob. I also agree that Keyboard/Mouse is best when playing a shooter. Wiimote/numchuk was a close second in metroid prime 3 (or was it Skyward Sword that had better aiming), imo. Then next is dual analog combined with gyroaiming. Purey dual analog is almost a 100% guarantee that I will skip the game. But that info is super easy to obtain. When I know waht said game uses, I can decide then which version to play. If I'm not picking said version I sure as heck don't spend all my time in a thread for that version bitching about it. THeres is a version for me, why demean anothers version?

But what's with the 60fps bashing. Hardly any shooters are 60fps. Then hell, the Switch also probably has the highest ratio of 60 fps to not over the twins. I've been hearing since the PS3 launch how games shoudl be 60 fps and rarely does that seem to happen. Also most people unless being TOLD can't even tell it is 60 or 30. The game could be 30, but as long as someone saw some rumor or article saying otherwise, they will argue until their face is blue with someone on how it is 60 fps, even when both are watching the same video. So much of the bitching/bragging/ect these days is just biased fanboying one way or another.

The fact is that the game looks good, and it appears to run smooth (minus what I find the annoying teleporting the guy seems to do when doing the finisher moves, but guessing that is in all versions) so why are you guys complaining? Is Switch your only console? If FPS and Resolution are so important to you, get the game on another of your systems. It has been out for like a year if you didn't know. If switch is your only console, enjoy the freaking game. Would you rather not have it?

Looks like a great port, and gives alot of hope for what the switch can do in capable hands.

Around the Network
irstupid said:
caffeinade said:

May I ask what is the point of going into threads about console games with that attitude. You know the Switch has no keyboard/mouse so no matter what you saw in the video woudl mean nothing to you. Your just being an elitist PC snob. I also agree that Keyboard/Mouse is best when playing a shooter. Wiimote/numchuk was a close second in metroid prime 3 (or was it Skyward Sword that had better aiming), imo. Then next is dual analog combined with gyroaiming. Purey dual analog is almost a 100% guarantee that I will skip the game. But that info is super easy to obtain. When I know waht said game uses, I can decide then which version to play. If I'm not picking said version I sure as heck don't spend all my time in a thread for that version bitching about it. THeres is a version for me, why demean anothers version?

But what's with the 60fps bashing. Hardly any shooters are 60fps. Then hell, the Switch also probably has the highest ratio of 60 fps to not over the twins. I've been hearing since the PS3 launch how games shoudl be 60 fps and rarely does that seem to happen. Also most people unless being TOLD can't even tell it is 60 or 30. The game could be 30, but as long as someone saw some rumor or article saying otherwise, they will argue until their face is blue with someone on how it is 60 fps, even when both are watching the same video. So much of the bitching/bragging/ect these days is just biased fanboying one way or another.

The fact is that the game looks good, and it appears to run smooth (minus what I find the annoying teleporting the guy seems to do when doing the finisher moves, but guessing that is in all versions) so why are you guys complaining? Is Switch your only console? If FPS and Resolution are so important to you, get the game on another of your systems. It has been out for like a year if you didn't know. If switch is your only console, enjoy the freaking game. Would you rather not have it?

The port is clearly not for me.
I am very impressed with what has been achieved.
I am not complaining that it does not have mouse and keyboard support (because I won't buy it, I have the game already).
I made peace with the fact that this will not be at 60FPS when it was announced.

I said: "Personally 60FPS and mouse + keyboard is the bare minimum", meaning that for Me, that is my minimum for this game; For me.

I said they could try using sprites to replace the 3D weapons and letterboxing the viewpoint to hit 60FPS, and that it would likely not go over well with people.

irstupid said:
caffeinade said:

Best post of the entire thread.

Looks amazing. Most likely day one.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

vivster said:

it already looks like a PS3 game

No, it does not.

Even from offscreen footage of portable mode, it is clearly a technological step above anything PS3 ever saw.

irstupid said:
caffeinade said:

I cannot speak for him but I like games. And I don't like things that are terrible to games. So you will find me everwhere where there is a game mistreated out of pure selfishness and greed. Forcing fast paced games to be 30fps is such a thing. Or forcing shooters to be played by a single input method. There are a lot of terrible things that have been done to games on all platforms, mostly consoles though. And if there are terrible things happeneing you need to speak out. Or else those terrible things will continue.

The introduction of mid gen console upgrades and one console manufacturer's attempts to push cross platform games show that speaking out against terribleness is working. So I will continue to do so. It doesn't matter if I own the game, console or even have a faint interest in it. Whatever terrible happens, it always has an influence on everything else. It always affects all other games and platforms. It has come so far that PC ports of console games are locked to 30fps because developers were under the assumption that was ok. Why? Because nobody spoke out against it on console. So you are damn right that I speak out when something sucks on console because in the end it affects me too. Both as a PC and console owner.

You don't have a problem with me praising games on Nintendo platforms despite not having a direct interest in them. So please apply that same logic to when I don't say something nice about games.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.